Power mirror fold using the fob ? EDIT -You need Vag Can Pro

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
uklee
I drive a: GTS TDI
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box
Options: 14MY GTS TDi 177 RNS510 DAB with Dynaudio ,Parking sensors, 90% tint, Bi-Xenons, Full colour MFC, Winter Pack. MODS- De-Striped ,Reverse Camera Kit ,Power-fold Mirrors, Smokers pack ,Cruise Control, VW Cup spoiler ,VAG-COM tweeks ,LED interior light kit ,MSS Streets suspension kit ,12mm spacers

Power mirror fold using the fob ? EDIT -You need Vag Can Pro

Post by uklee »

EDIT -I've left this thread as a lot of people seem to refer to it , but what you're about to read is a tale of dead ends and false promises . The Kit from Hong Kong mentioned in the text below DID NOT WORK Basically the only proven way to do this appears to require having your door modules firmware reflashed with Vag Can Pro (Not the same as Vag Com / VCDS) - UK Lee Oct 2016

Ok , 1st of all - this is for RHD cars only , and obviously you need to have the powerfold mirrors already fitted to your Rocco / Golf Mk6

Well , i've found a solution that WORKS ! - read on :nod:

This thread is just to see how many other UK members on this forum would like to have this elusive mod working on their car ?

Over the past few months I've been researching and testings lots of different so called 'methods' . I've been led up the garden path a few times , and have shelled out a few quid in order to find a solution . Google the question "can i make my mirrors fold using the remote keyfob" and there's a bunch of threads on the subject , even some you tube videos but as soon as you start trying to find out how they actually did it - the trail goes cold :( . Some of the dead ends have been :

Vag Com / VCDS : This simply doesn't work , long coding / short coding / changing hex codes etc . NOTHING you can possibly do in VCDS will magically 'enable' this feature.

Hard wiring : It appears that a couple of folk have done it this way , but its a messy and technically intensive solution . Functionality is potentially limited & Hacking the wiring loom apart and using relays and extra wires & fuses etc was a non starter as far as i was concerned :no:

Using a mirror module from a another car : The module coding isnt the solution - it's the module FIRMWARE that holds the key ! . The Rocco is built on VW's 'A Series' platform . Other vehicles on this platform include Audi A3, Audi Q3, Audi TT, VW Golf, VW Jetta, VW Eos, VW Tiguan, VW Touran, SEAT León, SEAT Toledo, SEAT Altea, Škoda Octavia . Quite a few threads are floating around various (non scirocco) forums regarding this method - following leads in this area took me by far the most time . Especially as the majority of them are in a foreign language and i've had to try and translate most of the stuff and even join foreign forums and try to communicate with members that way :mad: . Some SEAT Leons have 'fold on fob' functionality and apparently some VW Tiguan owners have enabled the functionality on their cars by using SEAT modules , however after some serious digging - it has only been PROVEN to work on *some* LHD variants. Similarly , some German Golf owners have managed it using Skoda modules (plus a bit of extra wiring), but again - no ones managed to get it working on a RHD car. Audi modules have proven to be a complete non starter.

Purpose Built modules : my investigations into the above led me to this one. There's a Chinese seller on the Ali Express website that claims to sell a direct replacement module with the correct firmware to allow this functionality on all A Series platform VW's . I ordered & paid for one , waited 8 weeks for it to arrive . Stripped my door down to fit it and - yep , you've guessed it . It didn't work. :grumpy: . Subsequent (and protracted) conversations with the manufacturer revealed that they dont have a working solution for RHD vehicles . I did manage to get my money back on this one though - eventually....

To make a long story (slightly) less long - i've ended up dealing with a company from Hong Kong . I now have a 'plug in' dongle on its way to me that has been proven to work on a number of RHD Mk6 Golfs and a RHD Scirocco . Basically , it plugs into the diagnostic port on the car and 're-flashes' the drivers door module which enables the fold on fob functionality . Theres a very minor wiring mod to the drivers door mirror - but thats it !

It should be here in a week or so :D

Lee
Last edited by uklee on Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jojreynolds
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Rising Blue
With a: DSG box
Options: Recaro seats, rns 510, power fold mirrors, pano roof, full LED interior, LED puddle lights

Re: You want Power mirror fold using the fob ? I've sussed

Post by Jojreynolds »

You legend, keep this updated and I really hope it works. I spent a few hours checking this subject myself and just give up. Hope it works and will gladly pay you for your time spent and the Module needed :)

Instagram: James.reynolds
easyrider
In: Deep Black
Options: sensors, folding mirrors, cup spoiler, pano roof, cruise, 19s, leather, rns510, power seat, xenons, LED interior/exterior & puddle lights, vwr springs, fluffy driver's glovebox, aardvark

Post by easyrider »

yh i'm up for a bit of this foldy action. keep us posted, lee, and good work!!
Victor's thread: http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... 13&t=17412" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Instagram: @quietresonance
Irvysan
I drive a: R-Line
In: Ultra Violet
Options: MY15 2.0TDi (150PS), 90% rear tint, Electric folding mirrors, Vienna leather, RNS315.

Retro Fitted : LOTS of plasticky bits from china and well since I ran out of characters for this bit look here : viewtopic.php?f=13&t=19967

Post by Irvysan »

Subbed, I'm defo interested in this too. Can't understand why is not standard.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
Last edited by Irvysan on Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
chelspeed
Options: Sold it!

Post by chelspeed »

I'm up for it too. I will keep this thread bookmarked. You're a star for persevering.
Wadeya001
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
Options: Auto wipers
Auto headlights
Media system

Post by Wadeya001 »

Sounds cool :D
uklee
Options: 14MY GTS TDi 177 RNS510 DAB with Dynaudio ,Parking sensors, 90% tint, Bi-Xenons, Full colour MFC, Winter Pack. MODS- De-Striped ,Reverse Camera Kit ,Power-fold Mirrors, Smokers pack ,Cruise Control, VW Cup spoiler ,VAG-COM tweeks ,LED interior light kit ,MSS Streets suspension kit ,12mm spacers

Post by uklee »

Here's the guys video of it working on his own Right hand drive - 2012 Golf R

[youtube][/youtube]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQGZTW0KjE4

I've been speaking to Jason in HK for the last month or so . There is only one of these 'dongles' - and it cost their company a fair chunk to have it manufactured. It's taken a lot of conversation to convince them and In order to get my hands on it - I've had to put down a hefty deposit , plus pay for secure & tracked shipping to and from HK (Yes- i have to send it back once I've used it)

I got to thinking that whilst it's in my possession - to try and claw back at least some of the money i've spent , i could mod others people cars for say £40 - £50 a time - before i send it back to Hong Kong and get my deposit back (less the postage and the loan fee's)

I cant afford to let it out of my sight , and you'd have to come to me ( Near Junct 4 M42 west mids ) to have the mod performed on your car - i expect that i'll only be able to hang on to it for a couple of weeks or so.

Lee
Irvysan
Options: MY15 2.0TDi (150PS), 90% rear tint, Electric folding mirrors, Vienna leather, RNS315.

Retro Fitted : LOTS of plasticky bits from china and well since I ran out of characters for this bit look here : viewtopic.php?f=13&t=19967

Post by Irvysan »

Hi Lee as it's over 4 hours and 300 mile drive for me each way I will take a backseat just now. I hope some other members take you up on the offer as it looks like you have put a lot of effort into getting this going.

If people are reporting this works well I may reconsider.

Cheers

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
greg7728
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Viper Green

Post by greg7728 »

If it all works when u get it, I'm sure a bunch of us can head up and do a meet at same time - will it work on all scirocco with folding mirror function any year? When I hold down my lock or unlock it operates the windows of the car do u know if that function will still work or is this replaced by the folding mirror function?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wadeya001
Auto headlights
Media system

Post by Wadeya001 »

Same mine does the windows. If this works this is only 1 hours drive each way for me so I'd be really interested :) please message me if I don't comment to notice as I don't want to miss out :D
Last edited by Wadeya001 on Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chelspeed
Options: Sold it!

Post by chelspeed »

An hour for me too so still interested. Depending on when it is of course.
uklee

Post by uklee »

Hey guys - thanks for your interest :yes:

let me try to answer some of your potential questions as best i can , based on what the team at TMC Tuning in Hong Kong have told me. Of course , as soon as the dongle arrives i'll perform the mod on my own car first and report back.

How does this 'mod' work ? : It re-flashes the firmware in the drivers door module with modified firmware to allow the mirror fold functionality.

What is the exact Functionality ? : To fold the mirrors 'in' - press & hold the lock button on the remote for >2 seconds . To fold the mirrors 'out' - press the unlock button on the remote and open the drivers door . (i.e : the mirrors will not fold out using the fob alone - the drivers door handle needs to be operated)

Why wont the mirrors fold out from the fob ? : Because this is how the SEAT Leon works in the Chinese market ( The firmware flash is based on SEAT firmware)

Is Global Closing / Opening affected ? : No . This function is managed by the Central Elec (09) module . Pressing and holding the lock button on the remote (Global closing) will still lock the car and close both front windows and the sunroof as before (if you have this function enabled already) - only now , your door mirrors will fold in also . Pressing and holding the unlock button (Global Opening) in unaffected . The windows will drop and the sunroof will open as before.

How about the mirror switch on the inside of the drivers door ? : Functionality of this switch remains unaffected - it works exactly the same way as it did before.

How long does it take to perform the mod ? : 5 minutes with the dongle ( plug in , cycle the ignition a few times , unplug ) then 5 minutes for the wiring mod

Whats the wiring mod ? : Remove the drivers door mirror cap , swap the +ve and -ve wires over on the mirror motor , pop the cap back on .

Why is the wiring mod necessary ? : Because once the module is flashed the drivers door mirror works in the opposite way to the passenger mirror (if one opens then the other closes) . TMCT dont know the exact reason for this , but believe that the outfit who created the flash module (in China) based it on LHD SEAT firmware . Personally i think it's a minor programming error. Either way , unplugging and swapping the 2 wires around on the mirror motor is simple to do and effectively solves the issue.

Does it work on ALL Sciroccos / Golf 6s ? : No , TMCT have performed the mod on a few cars in Hong Kong . It has worked on all of them (they were all about 12MY onwards) but they tried it on a MY10 Golf R (White MFD) and it didn't work. They don't understand why , but believe it may be to do with module revisions (part numbers) . This 10MY golf had different part numbers on the door modules compared to their own cars - this is the only difference that they can think of . My 14MY rocco has exactly the same door module part numbers as TMCT's own 12MY Golf R - so i expect that it will work on my car too . I have (in my loft) some door modules from a rocco built in May 2011 - again , these are the same part numbers . (I got these 'spare' modules as part of a kit when retrofitting powerfold mirrors to my GTS - see this thread http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... 37&t=14719) . So it appears that there may be some kind of 'cut off' - for this mod to work . Somewhere before 2011 build dates - the only way to find out for sure is to try it.

How / When will i know if it's worked ? : Pretty much straight away . With the dongle inserted into the diagnostic port under the dash , and the ignition turned on and off - the drivers door mirror (only) will fold inwards . The firmware flash has taken place and has worked.

What if it doesnt work ? : On the 10MY Golf that the mod didn't work on , there were no 'ill effects' . All previous functionality remained , put simply - Nothing changed. If the mod fails to enable to the 'fold on fob' function for your door mirrors - you will not be charged.

Can the mod be 'undone' ? : No , the firmware flash is one way only with no way to 'undo' it - apart from the replacement of the door module itself.

What are the risks ? : At the end of the day , you are plugging a Chinese made electronic gizmo into your cars diagnostic port with the sole intention of applying some non-genuine , 3rd party software to your cars ecu . There is always gonna be an element of risk :shrug: . So far, There have been NO instances of any unwanted or unexpected effects when applied to other cars during the use of this dongle. You make the choice , You accept the responsibility.

There you go , hope this helps :yes:

Lee
Wadeya001
Auto headlights
Media system

Post by Wadeya001 »

Hmm. Mine is a white MFD :/ would you want all of us lot to still come down in mass, or one to try? Also if it didn't work would I be able to have a go with your modules and give you some cash for them. If so PM me :)
Leepash

Post by Leepash »

Hi mate. Iv'e got to drive up to Nottingham on the 25th so will could pass through. Would you still have it then?
wensleydale
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140

Post by wensleydale »

Hi Lee,

The video shows the car being locked, then the button pressed and held to fold the mirrors. Is this the only way of folding the mirrors, or do they also fold on a single long press as you have described in your post? I'm just thinking that 2 presses would deactivate the deadlocks and I'd have to remember to press a 3rd time to get everything how i'd want to leave the car.
/////AMG
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150

Post by /////AMG »

If this works I'd be interested!
Roy_01
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Sumatra

Post by Roy_01 »

http://ck-tech.eu/spiegel-automatisch-a ... -funk-ffb/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

40 euro + shipping costs
uklee

Post by uklee »

Hey Guys - sorry for delayed reply .

Well , the dongle turned up today from Hong Kong - and............... it doesnt work :( . Well not on my car anyway :cry:

I've tried every which way with various key on / key off , dongle in / dongle out , mirror switch on / mirror switch off combinations - and absolutely no joy :mad:

I already know that my door module part numbers are an exact match to the guys 2012 Golf R in HK - so i'm stumped as to why it aint working for me . I've spoken to him and he's just as gutted as i am . He's gonna do some checking with the manufacturer and get back to me, but i'm not holding out much hope .

Disappointed is an understatement.

That's an interesting Link Roy , but again its a LHD solution . Might be worth pursuing and see if they reckon it'll work on RHD cars - anybody speak good German ?
Irvysan

Post by Irvysan »

Hi Lee,

This dongle you were sent is it a VAG can pro :
http://www.vag-tech.eu/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The VCP software + dongle allows the reprogramming of the controller module in 1 click. See here for functions of this cable + software : http://www.vag-tech.eu/ocf-procedures" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Basically it's very similar to VCDS but with 1 click options.

I contracted the German site owner Roy posted about here is his reply :
Hello,
I guess you're interested in the automatic mirror folding function(?).
Remote Coding is also available in UK. You only need a laptop running Windows XP/7/8/10 with at least 2 (better 3) USB ports and WiFi at the place you can park your car.
Coding costs 40€, shipping to UK is 13,99€ via DHL. For the VAG CAN Professional hardware we charge a deposit of 250€ which will be refunded after you returned the hardware.

HW is currently on the way to a customer and should be available on 12th September 2015.

Please note that the function requires electric folding mirrors from factory (function only via the mirror switch in the driver door).

If you're interested just tell me your billing- and shipping-address and I will send you an invoice as pdf, you can pay via bank transfer. You will get DHL-tracking number and we can make an appointment for coding your car (evening or weekend is also possible).
Best regards from Germany,
Chris
Basically he sends you this cable hence the deposit and you install and flash it, jobs a goodun. It works out at £170 to buy the cable and software on your own.

If you fancy stumping up the cash to buy one you could rent it out in the UK, £30 a go?

I would actually be interested to see the coding change that this makes as it can probably be replicated with VCDS.

Cheers

Irv

Sent from my phone
uklee

Post by uklee »

Irvysan wrote:Hi Lee,

This dongle you were sent is it a VAG can pro ?
No mate - it's this little fella https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hp ... 5448_o.jpg

Jase Yau (the supplier) got back to me today and in short , they have no idea why it doesn't seem to be working on my car . I have to say , that they've been really good about everything and have bent over backwards to try and help me. They've even offered to commission another dongle from the programmer and get it shipped over.

To be honest though , i don't see that there's much point if the last one worked for them guys but didnt work for me - whats gonna change ? . He did suggest that i try it on another Rocco - preferably something close to the RHD 2011-2013 MY cars that they've had it working on over there.

So anyone fancy a crack at this one before i sent it back ?

Lee