IPhone 5s

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
Daveee93
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: 18" Alloys, Dynaudio,

IPhone 5s

Post by Daveee93 »

Recently I've been getting the message "media device not recognised" when trying to connect my phone through the mdi to USB cable. I know it used to work so not sure what's happened. has anyone else had this problem? Do I need to update anything?

Cheers
Wadeya001
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Candy White
Options: Auto wipers
Auto headlights
Media system

Re: IPhone 5s

Post by Wadeya001 »

Have you updated your IOS? If so that's probably the cause.
KarmaSumatra

Post by KarmaSumatra »

Make sure your lightning port isn't full of fluff/dust.
Shaun1982
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
With a: DSG box

Post by Shaun1982 »

My wife's 5 says device not recognised every time in my car,it will change it though
Guest2
In: Reflex Silver

Post by Guest2 »

This happens with my Iphone 6. At first i thought it was a faulty cable but i turned the iphone off,not just the normal off, i mean fully off like a reset, and it worked ok. It does happen from time to time,especially when im using Spotify but a reset/turn off and on works. Im not sure what is at fault here,iphone or RNS510!! btw,my cable is new and works every time with my girlfriends android phone!
Shaun1982
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184

Post by Shaun1982 »

See I've got a new lightning cable & a new usb, the usb won't work with my HTC one m8 either. Same charging but bloody debit not recognised on the screen as with the iPhone. I've been told my mdi is just too old for both phones.
mrhirst
In: Indium Grey

Post by mrhirst »

I have this problem too. Try quitting all apps then open spotify and it should work. Also I tend to plug it in after head unit turns on. If you plug it in before it seems to get a bit confused
Daveee93

Post by Daveee93 »

Wadeya001 wrote:Have you updated your IOS? If so that's probably the cause.
I'm on iOS 7 still so it could be that? I'll make some room for the update later and see if it works
Daveee93

Post by Daveee93 »

Shaun1982 wrote:See I've got a new lightning cable & a new usb, the usb won't work with my HTC one m8 either. Same charging but bloody debit not recognised on the screen as with the iPhone. I've been told my mdi is just too old for both phones.
It's strange, I've used it before and it was all fine then one day it just didn't want to recognise it
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I will test them out today and come back with an update
Guest2
In: Reflex Silver

Post by Guest2 »

i doubt its because your running iOS 7. the RNS system will be older software than iOS 7 so upgrading to iOS 8 wouldn't make a difference! depending on the age of your RNS and running software then it would depend on the aimed iOS. Mine is a 2008 scirocco so could have been iOS 1 since the iphone first came out in 2007! so you can see why it has trouble dealing with software 6/7years later! Easiest solution is to have a headphone jack/aux lead to it and not rely on the data transfer of the lightening cable.