Advice on Alloys and Wheels

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
ozzie_uk58
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Deep Black
With a: Manual box

Advice on Alloys and Wheels

Post by ozzie_uk58 »

Hi,

I'm very new to car modifications and know even less about car mechanics so please give me your advice as though I'm an idiot...

I'm looking to purchase a 2013 VW Scirocco 2.0 GT TDI 140PS and I would like to purchase some black alloys to go with it.

My first question...

As standard the car comes with 8J x 18" Interlagos alloy wheels with 235/40 R18 tyres but I would like some black alloys, preferably the 'Lugano Black 19" ones. The brochure states that they usually come with 235/35 R19 tyres. Is it a simple process to swap the alloys and tyres over or will it need to be done in a garage. And how much (estimate) would that service cost?

Furthermore, I'm using my car for business miles so a lot of travel. Are there any particular long lasting tyres I should be getting that would be suitable for 19" alloys?

Appreciate the help.

ozzie_uk58
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Re: Advice on Alloys and Wheels

Post by Cuprabob »

Yes, it's a simple swap over of wheels and tyres, although laying your hands on a set of genuine black Lugano wheels will not be easy.

As for cost to swap over, about half an hours labour so circa. £30 - £40, I would have thought.
ozzie_uk58

Post by ozzie_uk58 »

Thanks Cuprabob.

Why is it so difficult to get hold of them? One retailer is offering them for £1000 but that seems to be my only option. Could you recommend any other all black alloys that would fit the 2013 model?
Cuprabob
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

Sorry. I should of said "at a reasonable cost". From TPS / VW they retail at £650 each. On top of that you're looking at £125 for a good tyre. Even 2nd hand they go for around £1k and black ones don't pop up too often.

Of course you can get replica ones much cheaper.

Personally, I would just get the standard wheels powder coated gloss black.
ozzie_uk58

Post by ozzie_uk58 »

Ah ok. And how much does it usually cost to get the standard alloys powder coated gloss black?
Cuprabob

Post by Cuprabob »

Around £60 per wheel
ozzie_uk58

Post by ozzie_uk58 »

Ok cool, thanks for your help cuprabob.
Sciroccofella
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
Options: 18" turbine interlagos alloys, rear privacy glass

Post by Sciroccofella »

Can I suggest a perhaps much cheaper way of doing this?

Ok so I understand you would like the 19" Lugano, but if it's more the colour your going for then I suggest doing as I did - get them painted!

I have the 18" interlagos and got the black for about £60 per wheel. Granted I had a slight discount because they were done at my work.

I got them sprayed in a black water based black with lacquer, which gave them a shiny finish. They are near spotless and look like a factory job.ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tony4147
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Salsa Red
With a: DSG box
Options: 19" Lugano's, RNS510 SatNav/BT, Leather, Rear Parking Sensors, Factory Mats

Post by tony4147 »

IMHO I would forget the 19's too susceptible to pot hole damage!!