160 misfire and rough idle

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
Gurmeet1987
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box

Re: 160 misfire and rough idle

Post by Gurmeet1987 »

Hi. Having misfire issues on cylinder 1 on my 1.4 tsi 160bhp. Anybody been to a garage where they can rebuild this engine and fix the damage? Noticed there's alot of cowboys out there repairing g engines but not doing a good job. Would like my rococo in good hands. I'm from Birmingham. Thanks.
Garyhamilton
In: Deep Black

Post by Garyhamilton »

is this a common problem? I’ve just bought one
Last edited by Garyhamilton on Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
janherko
In: Viper Green
Options: Alcantara, Bi-xenons, Full LED interior, Metal pedals, Sensors, RNS 510, 18" Interlagos piano black, Pearl black foldable mirrors, Winter pack, Pirelli PZero Nero 235/40, Pipercross air filter, New complete pistons, New K03 BorgWarner turbo, Full LED tail lights, Full LED front indicators

Post by janherko »

NGK 96209 are spark plugs and NGK 48003 are ignition coils for our engine...find it on google
Poltergeist

Post by Poltergeist »

I've just encountered the dreaded misfire now too :-(

Have changed coil packs and spark plugs, both NGK. Ran 2 bottles of injector cleaner through, seemed to cure for a while, but now back to square one.

Looking at replacing the injector next. Does anyone know the OEM number, is it VAG (03C906036N)?

Have seen some Magneti Marelli or Meat & Doris parts online (if the OEM number above is correct), or should I stick to buying only through VW?

Any other suggestions are most welcome!

https://www.buycarparts.co.uk/search?keyword=Injector" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

I would get a compression test done on the cylinder that is misfiring to set my mind to rest before changing the injector.
Poltergeist

Post by Poltergeist »

will do, but want to get the injector ordered as 3 day delivery, even with local VW dealer.

*Edit - Compression test done and all ok it seems.

Found the OEM, it's 03C906036M (in case anyone needs in future) Tried online and all UK based sites are sold out. VW - £211, then labour.

New injector fitted today and still the same.

Anyone have any ideas what else it could be? :-(
ditamai_ing
In: Rising Blue

Post by ditamai_ing »

Misfire on cylinder 1 of my poor Rocco too...

I've replaced the spark plugs, switched coils between cylinder 1 and 4 and it remained on #1. I've done a compression test and got 6 bars on cylinder 1 and, surprisingly, 9 on #3. 2 and 4 are fine. I've done a second compression test on the faulty cylinders also pouring 5 ml of oil in each, in order to determine if it's the piston or the valves in each case. Cylinder 1 stayed at around 6, but #3 went to 14. This indicates me that #1 may have a troubled valve, but #3 looks to loose pressure through the piston rings. At first I was determined to have the engine fixed in a private garage, but the overall costs (theoretically) and the different faults suspected by each mechanic I talked to made me second thoughts. I'm talking about +3000 EUR in worst case scenario (including piston replacement) while the car resale value is around 7k.

This is why I'm thinking of opening the cylinder head by myself (I've done similar jobs on older cars, but they had a much cleaner design and far easier access). What keeps me from doing this is the lack of a repair manual. The times of the good old Haynes are long gone and I couldn't find anything electronic either. Do you have any knowledge of such a manual, guys?