1.4 TSI Turbo Failure

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
Steve_Doug
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box

1.4 TSI Turbo Failure

Post by Steve_Doug »

Hi everyone,

I've just gotten off the phone with a VW service agent who has informed me my turbo on my 1.4 tsi needs replacing...

Last week I noticed a flat spot or lag in acceleration at about 4000rpm, it was periodic and only lasted for half a second or so. Took the car into VW yesterday and detailed the symptoms only to be told today the turbo needs to be replaced at a ridiculous cost ( its a 2009 Scirocco so its way out of its warranty but with only 52k km on the clock).

I assume due to the periodic nature of the lag and low boosted that it is in fact the wastegate actuator that is sticking (a problem I've found on a number of forums). Has anyone else suffered this issue? and if so do you have any recommendations? is it worth sourcing a turbo from somewhere else and not from the VW dealer? (keeping cost in mind) or even upgrading the turbo?

Any advice would be appreciated

Cheers,

Steve
Stu13R
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Rising Blue
With a: DSG box
Options: Fully loaded including Recaro seats
20" Cades Shift alloys with 245/30/20 Michelin Cup Sport 2 tyres
VWR Tracksport Coilovers, anti lift, wishbones and engine/gearbox mounts
Turbo back BCS Sports Powervalve exhaust with race cat & wrapped downpipe
VWR air intake and Stage 2 APR map

Re: 1.4 TSI Turbo Failure

Post by Stu13R »

Hi Steve, I think the answer really depends on what you want to pay out.

If you are not under warranty you could consider getting your turbo reconditioned, or my preference would be to go for a turbo upgrade. You may be able to exchange your turbo for an uprated version of the same one which would cut costs and simplify fitting. Not sure how easy that is to do over there but in the UK are several respectable turbo companies offering this service.
the_winner
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: Sport and Style Package ,Parktronic Sensors, Alarm

Re: 1.4 TSI Turbo Failure

Post by the_winner »

for just a small problem you will change the turbo? maybe you need only a new N75 valve, if the actuator is sticking search for a used actuator for this turbo....dont waste your money