Second hand sps switch

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
john_w
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: rns510,pan roof,heated leather,side lights as drl,led side lights,led number plate,mtec white bulbs,full led interior,black vw badges,covered cup holder, smoking pack,osir boost gauge pod with autogauge,slimline sub built in with spare wheel,infinity kappa speakers and tweeters,carbon wing mirrors.

Second hand sps switch

Post by john_w »

Just wandering if I were to buy a second hand sps switch would I have to download the original map and then maps for different fuels myself? Don't quite know how I'd go about reprogramming it? Any help appreciated, thanks John
metaljay
I drive a: Scirocco R
Options: Stage 2+ Revo ;)

Re: Second hand sps switch

Post by metaljay »

its not maps that are installed on the device

i have an SPS switch and it just contains different boost and timing files, these are just .txt files i think (from memory), and you can change them using this:

http://www.revotechnik.com/useruploads/ ... 30Lite.zip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
john_w
Options: rns510,pan roof,heated leather,side lights as drl,led side lights,led number plate,mtec white bulbs,full led interior,black vw badges,covered cup holder, smoking pack,osir boost gauge pod with autogauge,slimline sub built in with spare wheel,infinity kappa speakers and tweeters,carbon wing mirrors.

Post by john_w »

Cheers for the reply, at work at the minute and can't open that file on my phone but I assume the that I would find the correct files for my car and load them to the sps? Are they readily available? I have a 2.0 tsi if that helps! Thanks again, John
Ryy
In: Viper Green
With a: Manual box
Options: Sat Nav, Heated Leather Seats, Dynaudio, Kit with 19" alloys, 30mm Front / 20mm Rear Lowering Springs, Folding Mirrors, Interior Mats, REVO Stage 1, Carbon wrapped bits and bobs.

Post by Ryy »

metaljay wrote:its not maps that are installed on the device

i have an SPS switch and it just contains different boost and timing files, these are just .txt files i think (from memory), and you can change them using this:

http://www.revotechnik.com/useruploads/ ... 30Lite.zip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Odd. REVO told me I could use it on my new Audi once I get a remap. I might even have it in writing.

I had a 2.0TSI Rocco, now have a 2.0TDI Audi A4.

Surely their "custom map to fit each car" spiel would be wrong then?

I was told it just literally switches between, nothing else. BY Revo.
metaljay

Post by metaljay »

The SPS just contains a file that adjusts boost, timing and fuel perameters - which you could argue is a 'map'

There's a few others settings but a user isn't able to change these (valet park, theft mode etc)
xjay1337
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
Options: Hybrid VKLR, BSR Ported Head, BSR Valve Springs, BSR CP3, THS IC, Revo /Forge Intake, Oil Cooler, , 3” Eurojet TBE, AKS SS kit, Recaro PP, Schroth 4 point, Rear seat delete, R bumper, CF GT24 Bonnet, VWR Spoiler, OZ 18x9 Et43, DB9 BBK w/ 340mm discs, pMu H16, S3 rear brakes, DNX520VBT, Hertz Audio

Post by xjay1337 »

The SPS box allows you to modify the boost, timing and fuel values on the Revo map which range from 1-9 on each value. You can also set the car back to standard and additionally, set the car into Anti-theft mode which basically disables the throttle and cuts the fueling in order to stall the engine once it's started so it can't be stolen.

You can usually get them for £99 from your Revo Dealer when you purchase a map, or they are available online for about £120 brand new. They are completely useless without a Revo remap.
click for build thread
Check out Fat Bear Photography
metaljay

Post by metaljay »

Just for reference, when they say Standard, it's not factory standard - VW would still be able to tell its been flashed
shshivji
In: Opal Silver
Options: panoramic roof and cruise control

Post by shshivji »

On the 2.0tsi the revo sps switch only has 4 settings, stock, 93 octane, 99 octane and 100 octane. The 4 maps are already loaded onto the ECU once mapped, the SPS switch just selects the pre installed map. If you buy a used sps, you just need to down load the settings from the revo website and install the file in the sps switch. You can't make custom settings for timing, fuel and boost on the 2.0 tsi.
I have one just incase I can't find a fuel station with 99 octane fuel :-)

Shak
metaljay

Post by metaljay »

shshivji wrote:On the 2.0tsi the revo sps switch only has 4 settings, stock, 93 octane, 99 octane and 100 octane. The 4 maps are already loaded onto the ECU once mapped, the SPS switch just selects the pre installed map. If you buy a used sps, you just need to down load the settings from the revo website and install the file in the sps switch. You can't make custom settings for timing, fuel and boost on the 2.0 tsi.

Shak
No mate, thats how your SPS will have been programmed. There should be a total of 6 settings

Here is mine for reference.

When you connect it via USB and use their software you can change the parameters for 'map' A,B and C. (all mine are for 99 Octane fuel, just with different boost levels)
john_w

Post by john_w »

i probably wouldnt mess around with boost settings etc just between stock an different petrols incase i had to use 95 for whatever reason. ill ask the guy when i go in next friday. if its £99 with a map i will probably just go for it anyway as they are about that second hand.

cheers, john
shshivji
In: Opal Silver
Options: panoramic roof and cruise control

Post by shshivji »

3 performance options are only octane options, the octane options set the boost and timing and fuel to pre set values, you can't customise it. There is only 4 maps installed on the ECU, have a word with your local revo dealer, he'll confirm this. Med17 ECU is different to the older ECU, which is in the 2.0tsi, the scirocco r has the older med 9 ECU where settings can be customised.

Shak
Last edited by shshivji on Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
wigit
Options: I used to own one

Post by wigit »

metaljay wrote:
shshivji wrote:On the 2.0tsi the revo sps switch only has 4 settings, stock, 93 octane, 99 octane and 100 octane. The 4 maps are already loaded onto the ECU once mapped, the SPS switch just selects the pre installed map. If you buy a used sps, you just need to down load the settings from the revo website and install the file in the sps switch. You can't make custom settings for timing, fuel and boost on the 2.0 tsi.

Shak
No mate, thats how your SPS will have been programmed. There should be a total of 6 settings

Here is mine for reference.

When you connect it via USB and use their software you can change the parameters for 'map' A,B and C. (all mine are for 99 Octane fuel, just with different boost levels)
You can do what you are saying on a K04 based car you cannot on a EA888 IHI, the only perimeter you used to be able to change was boost, that was back in 2009 and on the older switches not sure on the later sps
Golf 7R - Golf 7R - BMW M2
xjay1337
Options: Hybrid VKLR, BSR Ported Head, BSR Valve Springs, BSR CP3, THS IC, Revo /Forge Intake, Oil Cooler, , 3” Eurojet TBE, AKS SS kit, Recaro PP, Schroth 4 point, Rear seat delete, R bumper, CF GT24 Bonnet, VWR Spoiler, OZ 18x9 Et43, DB9 BBK w/ 340mm discs, pMu H16, S3 rear brakes, DNX520VBT, Hertz Audio

Post by xjay1337 »

john_w wrote:i probably wouldnt mess around with boost settings etc just between stock an different petrols incase i had to use 95 for whatever reason. ill ask the guy when i go in next friday. if its £99 with a map i will probably just go for it anyway as they are about that second hand.

cheers, john

You should always run on 99 octane anyway
They perform better and run cleaner - My GTI was mapped on Shell 99 and I only ever ran it on Shell 99. If I couldn't get it I'd only put enough 97/98 to get me to a petrol station that did have 99.
On my SPS box I had Map C set up with reduced timing and boost to run on 95 if necessary. But never needed it luckily :D
click for build thread
john_w

Post by john_w »

Well I got my revo stage 1 map today and obviously the smile hasn't left my face yet!! The guy who did it has mapped it to 97 as he said it's safer that way in case for whatever reason I can't get hold of any 99! I didn't go for the sps as the map worked out more than expected (I didn't account for vat!!) I will continue to use 99 Ron fuel as l I don't know anywhere that sells 97 near me. I will be buying an sps after Xmas but in the meantime I was wondering what I'm missing out on between the 97 and 99 settings?!

Thanks in advance, john
xjay1337

Post by xjay1337 »

john_w wrote:Well I got my revo stage 1 map today and obviously the smile hasn't left my face yet!! The guy who did it has mapped it to 97 as he said it's safer that way in case for whatever reason I can't get hold of any 99! I didn't go for the sps as the map worked out more than expected (I didn't account for vat!!) I will continue to use 99 Ron fuel as l I don't know anywhere that sells 97 near me. I will be buying an sps after Xmas but in the meantime I was wondering what I'm missing out on between the 97 and 99 settings?!

Thanks in advance, john

Well Niki @ Rtech did an Edition 30 on 95 fuel... did 222bhp stock and 275bhp after the remap...
For reference most run about 240 stock and 290-310 after a stage 1 remap if they are on 99 octane...
click for build thread
john_w

Post by john_w »

Looks like it would be worth it getting it changed to the 99 setting then! On another note it's needed 2 new coil packs since the remap. I've read this is fairly common? Think it might be time for r8 coil packs and some new plugs!