tyres, that age old thing.

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
tyrannosauRoss
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Retrofitted Cruise Control
Retrofitted Bluetooth
"flux's lights"
custom light install in boot.

tyres, that age old thing.

Post by tyrannosauRoss »

So last night while avoiding an accident kerbed my alloy and took a chunk out the tyre wall (been left with a flap)
When iI bought the car the it had three random makes on them, two matching on the front rears at random. My plan was in the new year buy decent fronts, put the currents ones on the back. Sadly chunk has changed my plans.

What would you guys recommend?
I'm currently looking at Continental 5 with the kerbing ribs, as these seems to have decent fuel efficiency rating (C) and A star wet grip.
But I have a couple of questions, not all websites are listing the tyre as having the kerbing rib, is this a standard feature?
Second, does the rating systems actually mean anything?
asquires1
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box

Re: tyres, that age old thing.

Post by asquires1 »

ive had dunlop, Pirellis, falkens and nankangs on mine. Cousin had continentals on his roc.

Continentals are a softer rubber meaning the grip is higher but they wont last that long. Same with the Pirellis they didn't last long either.
dunlops were ok but didn't give me much confidence in the wet.
I liked the falkens as the weren't stupid priced, lasted, and held the road well.
Currently have nankang ns20s and cant really fault them. Maybe a slight more road noise.

I know some people will disagree with me about the nankangs but in my experience they are pretty good. A lot of friends have them too and are running well over 350bhp on their cars
Last edited by asquires1 on Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skydemon
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Deep Black
Options: R line pedals :-)

Post by skydemon »

I had nankangs on my mk4 golf. Some of the best tyres I've had. I used to get 24k plus miles out of Bridgestone RE050 tyres but a mate has suggested I try kumho tyres. So far so good grippy in the wet and twisities. Was told the difference between a and g on the eco my thing is one tank of fuel over the life of the tyre so pretty negligible really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tyrannosauRoss
Retrofitted Bluetooth
"flux's lights"

Post by tyrannosauRoss »

Cheers, what about Dunlops? Had a set on my mk4 Golf and thought highly of them.
TranceTrouble
In: Reflex Silver
Options: Driving a 2.0 TSI 200PK HighLine Scirocco from 2009, Full Leather, Heated Seats, Folding Mirrors, Climate Control, RNS510, Bluetooth, Cruise Control,

Post by TranceTrouble »

I have two dunlops on the rear and two michelins in front at the moment. Must say i really prefer the handling and sound of the michelins over the dunlop,
had them swapped front to back 2 months ago, did feel that the dunlops had a little more grip though.
asquires1

Post by asquires1 »

Ive been told that the difference between A-B-C ratings is something you would never notice at speeds reachable on our roads but don't hold me to it
tyrannosauRoss
Retrofitted Bluetooth
"flux's lights"

Post by tyrannosauRoss »

eagle f1 assymetric seem to get a good response from other users.
Or falkens :S
skydemon
Options: R line pedals :-)

Post by skydemon »

Had dunlops on my golf. Never again. Blew three tyre walls out on the pot holes. Never had that problem with any other tyre. Did over 270k in the golf. Loved the RE050's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
salsajoe
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Salsa Red
Options: multifunction steering wheel, fogs, 18" alloys; DAB; XDS activated, DRLs reset, lock beep activated; indicator repeat set to 4; covered cup holder, rear seat 12v socket installed. metal pedals, 210 Golf GTi also in the stable. Scirocco gone - miss it. Polo GTI now.

Post by salsajoe »

Got Michelin pilots on mine at present - quiet and grippy in wet and dry. Got goodyear F1 A2 on the golf and they seem good too. Have heard that continental 5s are good but wear rate is a bit high.
jensu
I drive a: R-Line
Options: Fully equipped except DCC, xenon and cruise control.

Post by jensu »

tyrannosauRoss wrote:My plan was in the new year buy decent fronts, put the currents ones on the back. Sadly chunk has changed my plans.
Always put new tires on the rear axle.

Why?

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
xjay1337
Options: Hybrid VKLR, BSR Ported Head, BSR Valve Springs, BSR CP3, THS IC, Revo /Forge Intake, Oil Cooler, , 3” Eurojet TBE, AKS SS kit, Recaro PP, Schroth 4 point, Rear seat delete, R bumper, CF GT24 Bonnet, VWR Spoiler, OZ 18x9 Et43, DB9 BBK w/ 340mm discs, pMu H16, S3 rear brakes, DNX520VBT, Hertz Audio

Post by xjay1337 »

asquires1 wrote:Ive been told that the difference between A-B-C ratings is something you would never notice at speeds reachable on our roads but don't hold me to it
Sorry to pick on you about tyres again, but this is terrible advice. And despite the best intentions I don't feel you can advise someone on tyres... Nankangs are not the worst, compared to Landsail or Wanli's but compared to the higher quality brands available then there is no comparison.

Have driven plenty of cars with crappy tyres and you can notice the poor grip from low speeds. Especially lower speed roundabouts. You don't need to drive fast to need good tyres, they are your only contact points on the road..

I would not personally pay any attention to the EU-tyre ratings. The same tyre with different load ratings can get two different scores in wet braking which says it all really, you can use them as a very rough idea but again, take them with a pinch of salt.

I have Goodyear Eagle F1 Assy2 on mine and they are very good, although in the wet they are not quite as good as my old Vredestein Sessantas, they are a teeny bit better on the very edge of grip in the dry. Weirdly, the Goodyears are A-rated for wet grip but the Sessanta is rated for C wet grip. However the Sessantas undeniably provide better grip in the wet. As tested on the same car on the same roads by the same driver.
Probably going for either Vredestein Ultrac Vorti's or Michelin Pilot Supersports next myself.

Tyrereviews.co.uk is a good place to check out independent reviews of tyres from average joes like us.
click for build thread
Check out Fat Bear Photography
asquires1

Post by asquires1 »

Can only give my personal experience on what I have had fitted.

As for the tyre ratings if you read back I did say do not hold me to it.
xjay1337
Options: Hybrid VKLR, BSR Ported Head, BSR Valve Springs, BSR CP3, THS IC, Revo /Forge Intake, Oil Cooler, , 3” Eurojet TBE, AKS SS kit, Recaro PP, Schroth 4 point, Rear seat delete, R bumper, CF GT24 Bonnet, VWR Spoiler, OZ 18x9 Et43, DB9 BBK w/ 340mm discs, pMu H16, S3 rear brakes, DNX520VBT, Hertz Audio

Post by xjay1337 »

asquires1 wrote:Can only give my personal experience on what I have had fitted.

As for the tyre ratings if you read back I did say do not hold me to it.
Of course! Everything is very subjective.

:yes: I know bud, I should have clarified I wasn't aiming that part of my post specifically at you.
click for build thread
Check out Fat Bear Photography