Reversing camera DIY...? possible?

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
lsuhe
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Deep Black
With a: DSG box
Options: Dynaudio Soundpack

Reversing camera DIY...? possible?

Post by lsuhe »

I have seen on other forums
http://www.civinfo.com/forum/electronic ... amera.html that it might be possbile to do a DIY jb of adding a small reversing camera mounted inside the sill of the boot. I was thinking of taking the power from the boot based power socket (rather than reversing light) and runing a wire up from the pwoer socket to the roof lining and then clip to the tailgate and back down to power the camera... Does anyone have any thoughts / ideas on posible cameras (wireless) or suggestions. I'monly looking for a 2.5-3.5" screen. (not connecting to the head unit)
We are getting a lease car so can not really modify it much and can't be taking it to bits and messing with the electronics.. and yes we should have specced parking sensors! but went dyna audio and dsg instead as more fun!
Many thanks
Chris
drnick
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: leather, Nav, Park sensors

Re: Reversing camera DIY...? possible?

Post by drnick »

personally all that sounds like a lot of wires and screens instead of just getting some nice retrofit parking sensors? Unless you drive everywhere backwards isn't that something you'll use occasionally? I can't stand the idea of having an extra display on my dash. Just my opinion for what it's worth!
bianco
In: Deep Black
Options: All except sunroof, ACC, Dynaudio & rear seats. Lowered a bit for the looks :-)

Post by bianco »

They have a VW retrofit kit for the Passat CC, so maybe there is one coming for the Roc as well? :magnify:
wigit
Options: I used to own one

Post by wigit »

bianco wrote:They have a VW retrofit kit for the Passat CC, so maybe there is one coming for the Roc as well? :magnify:
the vw kits are linked to the boot badge on the golf and passat, the badge tilts slightly to reveal the camera so not an option on the roc at the moment
Golf 7R - Golf 7R - BMW M2
pat15312
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Candy White
Options: Gloss black 19" RS4s; GT Spec; Leather; RNS510 & Dynaudio; rSAP; Alloy pedals & sills; Gloss black plastics; Revo Select+; H&R 35mm springs & 10mm spacers; Forge FMIC, Intake, BOV, Quickshift; Milltek T/back, Sports cat & Downpipe.

Post by pat15312 »

andy wrote:
bianco wrote:They have a VW retrofit kit for the Passat CC, so maybe there is one coming for the Roc as well? :magnify:
the vw kits are linked to the boot badge on the golf and passat, the badge tilts slightly to reveal the camera so not an option on the roc at the moment
unless of course you made a cavity for the the badge to tile into and fitted some actuators. the whole kit must come as one as a retrofit to the golf though right?
222bhp & 340Nm
crash7

Post by crash7 »

drnick wrote:personally all that sounds like a lot of wires and screens instead of just getting some nice retrofit parking sensors? Unless you drive everywhere backwards isn't that something you'll use occasionally? I can't stand the idea of having an extra display on my dash. Just my opinion for what it's worth!
Not that I am a huge fan of the reversing camera but..,

I think parking sensors look awful in the rear bumper, they spoil the smooth look and make it look as if something has been ripped off and the remains of the fixings remain!!

VW never include them on the cars in the brochures, photo shoots etc for this very reason.
drnick
In: Rising Blue
Options: leather, Nav, Park sensors

Post by drnick »

Yeah, i agree and think that the integrated / hidden camera that is available for the mk6 is great, but given the choice of retrofit sensors or a DIY camera with dedicated screen i'd definitely go for the sensors.
Candy Monster
Options: Leather, Parking Sensors, Electric Folding Mirrors, Flat Tyre Indicator, DVD Nav, Premium Sills, Alloy pedals, Boot Liner, Custom GT Mats, GT badge, 20s, Cruise, R32 trim, Silver 'A pieces', debadged, White VW badges, Eibach springs, Revo, custom enginge cover, custom air dam, orange rub strips

Post by Candy Monster »

You should find all the info you need on this site http://vwnavi.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51.

Positioning is a different matter. Best place for a camera would be between the number plate lights but that is too low on the roc.