Taking off spoiler to change brake light?

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
Peacock8

Taking off spoiler to change brake light?

Post by Peacock8 »

Hello!

Got a new black brake light from Dectane as the one on the car is cracked. Has anyone changed the light? I have tried searching for this. As I understand the trim on the inside of the hatch has to come of first. Is it hard to get the spoiler of?

Ørjan.
Kev
Administrator
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Rising Blue
With a: DSG box
Options: Leather, cruise, parking sensors, folding mirrors, flat tyre indicator
Sadly replaced in Nov '16 by a TTS!

Re: Taking off spoiler to change brake light?

Post by Kev »

I haven't done it myself but yes the boot lid has to be dismantled. I'm now on my second cracked light.
Peacock8

Post by Peacock8 »

So I decided to just try and change the light, have had the spare on for months laying around.

I initially believe I had to remove the the plastic cover with the grab handles. This is however not necessary!
You only have to remove the two side pieces and the cover right under the light.

The first thing to do is to grab the center cover firmly and just pull HARD, don´t be shy. You won´t break it as the clips are in metal. There are 4 or 5 clips holding it. Just start at one end and pull until it comes of.

Then do exactly the same with the two side covers. Identical type of clips. You won´t break anything.

The spoiler is held with 5 10mm nuts. marked in red on the pic. There is also a sealing rubber gasket around the spoiler that will stick a bit. Just pull on one side. It will loosen.
Here you can see the three panels that you need to remove to get access.

When you get the spoiler of, the light is just fastened with two torx screws. I don´t remember the size. There is a rubber plug that is on the wire from the light. I just cut the wire on the old light and took the plug. I then lubricated the plug with some soap and pushed it over the new plug on the light.

Here is one of the side covers.

and here is the clips that hold the covers. Some of the clips was attached to the car body when I removed some of the covers. So I just used a pair of pliers to get the of the car and on to the cover before assembling it again.

That´s about it. Here is the result. Sorry for the dirty window :p

a4gee
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: Winter pack,Parking sensors,Dynaudio,Tyre indicator,Pano roof,GT steering wheel badge,VW Mats, rubber/premium,Headlight and led upgrade interior/exterior,Metal pedals inc foot rest,HK sills,R lights,Cup holder for rear,Concealed ashtray,Auto coming home headlights.

Post by a4gee »

How much was the light? Is it much brighter?
Peacock8

Post by Peacock8 »

It´s about the same light output, the leds produce a red light.
It cost 69 Euro from dectane.de + Shipping i presume.

Ørjan.
junti
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Viper Green
With a: Manual box
Options: Xenon Lights, Panorama sunroof, Bluetooth, RNS310, Multifunc. steeringwheel.

Post by junti »

Guys do you think this will work also on Rocco ?

[youtube][/youtube]

Thanks for replies
xjay1337
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Hybrid VKLR, BSR Ported Head, BSR Valve Springs, BSR CP3, THS IC, Revo /Forge Intake, Oil Cooler, , 3” Eurojet TBE, AKS SS kit, Recaro PP, Schroth 4 point, Rear seat delete, R bumper, CF GT24 Bonnet, VWR Spoiler, OZ 18x9 Et43, DB9 BBK w/ 340mm discs, pMu H16, S3 rear brakes, DNX520VBT, Hertz Audio

Post by xjay1337 »

junti wrote:Guys do you think this will work also on Rocco ?

[youtube][/youtube]

Thanks for replies
Why would you do it differently from the very easy guide posted above.
The reason you do that on a Mk5 Golf is because the spoiler is much, much harder to get off.
On a Scirocco it takes 20 minutes to swap the rear light.

Infact it took me longer to get the boot trim off than it did to do everything else combined. :faint:
click for build thread
Check out Fat Bear Photography