Beeping noise from radio speakers

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
aesmidz
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box

Beeping noise from radio speakers

Post by aesmidz »

I am getting a Beeping noise from radio speakers, when the car is parked up, ignition off and nothing running or turned on, any ideas what it is please?
HowardB
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Pano roof, cruise control, LED int. globes, Philips Blue/Extreme Vision main lamps, folding mirrors, retro-fitted RNS-510 & Premium BlueTooth module 7P6035730C, S/S door scuff-plates, black Vienna leather trim, Needle Sweep active!

Re: Beeping noise from radio speakers

Post by HowardB »

Are you sure it's from the speakers? Are your side/park lights on, as these will cause a "ping" if left on when the ignition is off and the door opened
Ordered: 7 Dec 2009 | Build Week: 17 | Build Stage completed: 3 May 2010 | Collected: 7 Jul 2010

Quote: pictures, or it didn't happen! :D
Philmar
In: Indium Grey
Options: Panoroof,parking sensors,folding mirrors.rear camera

Post by Philmar »

Could be battery low warning if it is a muted 'bong'.
skyblues11
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
Options: cruise control, front foglight, Multi.f.steering wheel,
tyre indicator

Post by skyblues11 »

how about the bluetooth? could it trying to search or to pair up with something? I am just guessing as i have no bluetooth, but have driven cars that does and the sound was to tell me the connection is cut, as the car had been switched off.
RW1
Legend
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

It had me going for about 18 months before I bottom it out. Started the day the car was delivered as I was working on it without running the engine for 6 days. And would get a random "bong" noise out of the front speakers. Mine is associated with very short trips of 10 to 20 minutes with 3 to 4 days none usage.

Finally trapped it with VCDS one day last year..... See the last two posts - Fault code: 00907. here.

A quick check with a DVM and you should know your battery state as listed in the table.
The battery needs a good charge with a trickle charger in the link in the post.

Otherwise a run of over 1 - 2 hours continuously without re-starting the engine is required. The fault will go away and does not need VCDS to clear, it self clears. Hence why it was hard to trace. Since keeping the battery boosted if left for a week or more, it rarely happens. When it does, time to put the charger on for an afternoon unless as fairly lengthy drive is planned very soon.

C
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
ZephyR
Options: 18" Inters, Front fogs, Multi-function steering wheel, Parking sensors & Interior mats

Post by ZephyR »

Yep first experienced this when parked up with the radio on for 20 minutes or so. The radio screen came up with a message advising me to turn off the radio to save the battery. Soon after restarting the radio I got this repeated bong sound.
Had a few times since when I've sat with the radio on - but this morning when got in to the car the bong was going going already, before I even put the key in the ignition :(
Now I accept that I do mainly short 20 minute trips and the weather at this time of year puts a strain on your battery but I use my car almost every day and I would expect a modern battery to last more than 2 years before it starts complaining. My last car's battery lasted 6 years when I sold it and my previous one lasted 9 and a half years before I sold that.
So are VW batteries a bit crap ?
RW1
Legend
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

Ah, I am not alone!

Exactly the same scenario. Yes it bongs at night when it wants feeding, 3am in the monrning!

Key doesn't have to be in, and nothing has to be turned on. It starts when the Central Electrics/Engine ECUs starts showing 11.7 volts in the diagnostics, the battery can still be at 12.5 volts. And when fully charged with a battery reading of 12.75 volts at battery, the controllers show 12.0 volts.

VW's batteries were usually good (VARTA or Bosch), but I notice spares since 2007 are no longer the good Silver Cadium VW dealers use to sell. Since costs of the metals used to build them went sky high, they've reverted to the more tradition plain Lead batteries. The one I have fitted from Oct'09 is Exide. Can't say that gives me confidence.

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
ZephyR
Options: 18" Inters, Front fogs, Multi-function steering wheel, Parking sensors & Interior mats

Post by ZephyR »

Perhaps if it spend less time bonging the battery might last a bit longer :no:
aesmidz

Post by aesmidz »

Thanks for the replies
I recently bought the car, it was not used much And parked up most of time
So I guess it could be due to previously low battery state

Charging the battery. And the charger has already gone to conditioning mode
So will leave it on overnight and see how it goes

Thanks again for the possible solutions

Just trying to get the driving lights disabled As the dealer tells me it draws 20 amps!
Dealer would not disable them?
Indepentant might tho
ZephyR

Post by ZephyR »

It is possbile to turn off the DRLs yourself on models of a certain age - around 2009 generally. Have you tried the procedure described in the manual. It worked for me.
Failing that search this forum for numerous discussions on the same topic.
alanstead
Options: Dynaudio, Parking sensors, Bi xenon, Electric folding mirrors, Cruise control, Winter pack, Flat tyre indicator, Mudflaps, Rubber mats, Boot liner, LED sidelights, Upgrade cornering bulbs, LED interior lighting, Upgrade DRL's, Premium sill trims, Alloy pedals, RNS510, Rearview camera, Bluetooth.

Post by alanstead »

Ah, quite often when I have got in the car and started it, I have heard this bong just as the car starts. No lights show up on the dash and it had me and my rather poor dealers mechanics stumped. Maybe this is what it is? Odd that it does it just when the car has been started, but thats when the battery will be at its lowest for a second until the alternator kicks te voltage back up.
RW1
Legend

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

alanstead wrote:Ah, quite often when I have got in the car and started it, I have heard this bong just as the car starts. No lights show up on the dash and it had me and my rather poor dealers mechanics stumped.
Does it happen to be three bongs in a group when it does it?

C.
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
aesmidz

Post by aesmidz »

No, its constant low volume
ZephyR

Post by ZephyR »

alanstead wrote:Ah, quite often when I have got in the car and started it, I have heard this bong just as the car starts. No lights show up on the dash and it had me and my rather poor dealers mechanics stumped. Maybe this is what it is? Odd that it does it just when the car has been started, but thats when the battery will be at its lowest for a second until the alternator kicks te voltage back up.
This isn't the low temperature warning "ping" from the MFD is it ? Telling you that the temperature is below 4 degrees C. You probably get that a lot in Scotland :lol:
aesmidz

Post by aesmidz »

i think RW1 has answered the problem, as car is new 2 me, previous owner only used for short trips and total low mileage is low too1
alanstead
Options: Dynaudio, Parking sensors, Bi xenon, Electric folding mirrors, Cruise control, Winter pack, Flat tyre indicator, Mudflaps, Rubber mats, Boot liner, LED sidelights, Upgrade cornering bulbs, LED interior lighting, Upgrade DRL's, Premium sill trims, Alloy pedals, RNS510, Rearview camera, Bluetooth.

Post by alanstead »

Hi Chris, No, it is just one single bong, or chime, whatever you want to call it. And Zephyr, dont be so cheeky, its a tropical 6 degrees centigrade out just now and the wind chill is only 2 degrees, so :lol:
RW1
Legend

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

alanstead wrote:Hi Chris, No, it is just one single bong, or chime, whatever you want to call it. And Zephyr, dont be so cheeky, its a tropical 6 degrees centigrade out just now and the wind chill is only 2 degrees, so :lol:
Low battery charge level.

3 in quick succession as turning on the ignition is an ESP firmware update required due to compatibility in the 03 ABS Brakes

C.
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
ZephyR

Post by ZephyR »

RW1 wrote: 3 in quick succession as turning on the ignition is an ESP firmware update required due to compatibility in the 03 ABS Brakes.

C.
Now that's interesting. About a week ago I came to set off from the multi-storey car park at work and as I turned the ignition I did get an unusual beep (don't recall if it was 3 or not). As I started to drive off I found the steering was very heavy. Suspecting a flat tyre I turned off the ignition and checked the tyres - which were all OK. After starting again there was no beeps and the power steering was now working fine - but the ESP warning light on the dash was on. By the time I got out on to the road it had gone off and alls been fine since then.
Mystified.
arlurt
I drive a: R-Line
In: Deep Black
Options: Changes will be made...
Puddle lights, Cruise and Reversing Camera on the cards.

Post by arlurt »

That explains the "bong" I've been getting some mornings when starting the car, though I think there sould be something on the MFD as well to tell you what it's complaining about. I'll have to get my DVM out and check my battery as I don't think I can blame low useage, I'm doing 500+ miles per week, 40 miles each way to work, so that should be plenty to keep the battery well topped up. The car is kept in a heated garage overnight so isn't that cold on a morning.

On my old Peugeot diesels there was a note that you didn't turn the engine over until the glow plug light went out. The 1.9TDi never had a problem, what's the guidance with the modern 2.0 TDi CR?
RW1
Legend

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

Just be aware there are "bongs" and there are "BONGS". A whole Scirocco vocabulary of them. 3 quick bongs on the trot is ESP, when turning on the ignition is an ESP firmware update required due to compatibility in the 03 ABS Brakes.

Random bongs with the car locked or unlocked after a period of non-usage (2 or 3 days) is the battery charge/voltage.

C.
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!