Help!! Driver Door Not Locking

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.

Help!! Driver Door Not Locking

Postby heavyzremix » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:59 pm

Today i used VCDS to do some mods (e.g. Big Speedo, Fog lights on turning and needle sweep), fairly easy mods to do.

About 2 weeks ago, i installed a dashcam, and a met a guy to do some VDCS mods, he said there was a problem with my Anti-theft alarm.
One of the Mod he did was changing my DLR to my fogs instead of low beams and enabling horn on alarm. (At the time the horn did work when activating my alarm).

Well today i also fixed the anti theft alarm error, turned out the fuse i tapped into on the drive side was being used for the Alarm, and i had put it in the wrong fuse location! (rookie error). I Ran diagnostics in VCDS, cleared errors with my alarm and ran again and it didn't show up, I even have a bleep now on (but it used to be a horn ... confusing? might be a setting in vcds)

Well now, i gotten a new problem... the driver side door won't lock and the folding mirror won't fold (on driver side only).

I get an message: Supply voltage for door controller driver side (j386) in vcds.

The window goes down on locking and unlocking, the alarm light is on.
Passenger door locks. Alarm gives a beep!

Any ideas?
heavyzremix

I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box
Options: Two tone leather seats, electric folding mirrors, parking sensors, Android headunit, reversing camera.

Re: Help!! Driver Door Not Locking

Postby chelspeed » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:59 am

Unlikely to be a genuine low voltage as everything else would get the low volts too. But worth sticking a meter on the battery to check.

So spurious low volts on drivers door. Loose plug on door controller but nothing you have done recently has been in the door so unlikely. Are there plugs on the car end of the wiring to the door? If so these would be around the fuse box area so worth checking for something loose.

Reset everything in VCDS but sounds like you've done that.

Last thing I would try is disconnect the battery -ve and leave it off for 30 mins. Then reconnect and go in with VCDS to rest the myriad of faults generated by the battery being off. Hopefully the forced reboot of the door controller will clear the fault.
chelspeed

I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Rising Blue
With a: DSG box

Re: Help!! Driver Door Not Locking (fixed)

Postby heavyzremix » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:00 pm

Hi... update

I fixed the door locking :) but i haven't run VCDS to see if the anti-theft alarm has a fault in there yet, but it it does, then its an easy fix.

Turns out that driver side fuse box, location SC16 (which according to this thread: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=7403 is not assigned in both the MY2009 and MY2010onwards) is my fuse location for the door locking and and folding mirrors.
I was going crazy last night thinking what had happened, then i thought maybe it was because i banged a bit too hard to get the cover to fit.
I started researching online:

I read that the door harness could have a wire cracked! (found a good tutorial for this online), i had a look any mines was fine.

I thought maybe when i bagged hard to fit the cover, i may have loosen a pin behind the fuse box (again i found a good tutorial for this online on how to get to the back of the box).

Yesterday, I moved the fuse from SC16 to SC17, and today before i thought i'd follow chelspeed advice and disconnect battery, i moved the fuse back from SC17 to SC16 and voila the door locked.
when having another look at the fuse diagram posted in the link above i noticed my chassis number didn't match with the ones in the pdf.
How many Bl000dy fuse box combinations do VW need to make! cant they just keep it simple and have one for all their cars.

Thanks Chelspeed for your response.
heavyzremix

I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box
Options: Two tone leather seats, electric folding mirrors, parking sensors, Android headunit, reversing camera.

Return to Tech Talk