Android Head unit

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.

Android Head unit

Postby IamSteveLyons » Sun May 07, 2017 5:22 pm

Hi guys.
Can anyone recommend a good android Head unit with blueetoth DAB And sat nav?
I have the rns315 but want something that looks newer and had more apps etc. But I don't want it not have all the OEM futures like RDS etc...
Thanks in advance


Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
IamSteveLyons
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:27 pm
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Salsa Red
With a: DSG box

Re: Android Head unit

Postby Springs » Mon May 08, 2017 11:55 am

i've got the Eonon ga5135f which is made for VW's. they have since released 2 newer versions running newer versions of android. the latest being the ga7153f i believe.

for what it is, it's pretty good although don't expect to turn the car on from cold and start listening to music as they have about 20 - 30 second boot time.

also if you use anything apart from the default music app it won't auto start playing music once it's booted.

for sat nav, i've been using Here maps as it offers an offline mode and you can download all of the UK in one go. you can use google maps but you either have to download the small portion for offline mode or tether / purchase 3g dongle and use it on the internet.
User avatar
Springs
 
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:45 pm
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Reflex Silver
With a: DSG box

Android Head unit

Postby ShawUK » Mon May 08, 2017 12:05 pm

Literally just fitted the new Pumpkin 2GB, not sure on reliability but will be posting my findings once it's settled in. Best thing about Amazon is it can go straight back to them if it's naff.
So far though it's brilliant and boots up quicker than original VW head unit.


Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkImage
ShawUK
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri May 05, 2017 6:11 pm
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box

Re: Android Head unit

Postby IamSteveLyons » Wed May 17, 2017 9:12 am

Thanks,
this look like what I need. does it behave like the oem unit?
does the channel name come up on MFD?
what happens when you reverse does it have the screen for the sensors?
and obv the AC controls.
also what about the steering wheel controls too?
IamSteveLyons
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:27 pm
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Salsa Red
With a: DSG box

Re: Android Head unit

Postby IamSteveLyons » Fri May 19, 2017 6:34 pm

Springs wrote:i've got the Eonon ga5135f which is made for VW's. they have since released 2 newer versions running newer versions of android. the latest being the ga7153f i believe.

for what it is, it's pretty good although don't expect to turn the car on from cold and start listening to music as they have about 20 - 30 second boot time.

also if you use anything apart from the default music app it won't auto start playing music once it's booted.

for sat nav, i've been using Here maps as it offers an offline mode and you can download all of the UK in one go. you can use google maps but you either have to download the small portion for offline mode or tether / purchase 3g dongle and use it on the internet.

Where did you get yours from?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
IamSteveLyons
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:27 pm
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Salsa Red
With a: DSG box

Re: Android Head unit

Postby IamSteveLyons » Fri May 19, 2017 6:35 pm

Springs wrote:i've got the Eonon ga5135f which is made for VW's. they have since released 2 newer versions running newer versions of android. the latest being the ga7153f i believe.

for what it is, it's pretty good although don't expect to turn the car on from cold and start listening to music as they have about 20 - 30 second boot time.

also if you use anything apart from the default music app it won't auto start playing music once it's booted.

for sat nav, i've been using Here maps as it offers an offline mode and you can download all of the UK in one go. you can use google maps but you either have to download the small portion for offline mode or tether / purchase 3g dongle and use it on the internet.

Where did you get yours from?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
IamSteveLyons
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:27 pm
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Salsa Red
With a: DSG box

Re: Android Head unit

Postby Springs » Fri May 19, 2017 8:29 pm

originally got mine from ebay, but if you go to their website you can normally get them slightly cheaper as they do "seasonal" sales every now and then
User avatar
Springs
 
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:45 pm
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Reflex Silver
With a: DSG box

Re: Android Head unit

Postby IamSteveLyons » Fri May 19, 2017 8:31 pm

Springs wrote:originally got mine from ebay, but if you go to their website you can normally get them slightly cheaper as they do "seasonal" sales every now and then

Thanks for the reply. Does the unit show the RDS channel ie radio 1?
Also does it show them on the MFD too?

Finally do the steering wheel controls​ still work ?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
IamSteveLyons
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:27 pm
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Salsa Red
With a: DSG box

Re: Android Head unit

Postby IamSteveLyons » Fri May 19, 2017 8:32 pm

Springs wrote:originally got mine from ebay, but if you go to their website you can normally get them slightly cheaper as they do "seasonal" sales every now and then

Thanks for the reply. Does the unit show the RDS channel ie radio 1?
Also does it show them on the MFD too?

Finally do the steering wheel controls​ still work ?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
IamSteveLyons
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:27 pm
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Salsa Red
With a: DSG box

Re: Android Head unit

Postby Phanc » Fri May 19, 2017 8:32 pm

Hi- I asked the same question about a week ago, and Springs mentioned the Eonen. I have since then bought the ga7153- due to arrive in a few days. I was looking at the pumpkin unit from Amazon but it had mixed reviews on there so I decided to go for this instead! It seems to have a slightly better specification than the others being the latest version of android- also a higher screen resolution but we shall see!
Phanc
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:18 pm
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Deep Black
With a: Manual box

Re: Android Head unit

Postby Springs » Fri May 19, 2017 8:40 pm

RDS does work with the radio channels i've used. i don't use the radio much tbh.

MFD and steering wheel controls will all work if you use the default radio / music apps

the volume and mute button works regardless. track change only works on specific applications. it might have changed on the later versions.

GPS / BT doesn't show up in the MFD either.

i found that the Golf forum has a page up and it does look like eonon posts on there when new models comes out.

latest: http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110682
User avatar
Springs
 
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:45 pm
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Reflex Silver
With a: DSG box

Re: Android Head unit

Postby mooney88 » Mon May 22, 2017 7:13 pm

Been looking at this one. http://www.autopumpkin.co.uk/vw-volkswa ... n-bus.html

When I bought my scirocco 6 months ago I bought a parrot OMG dont do it they are a pile of rubbish.

Been reading a couple feeds that have bought eonon ones but needed a fakra antenna adaptor. Did any of you guys have the same issue with the pumpkin ones?
mooney88
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:40 pm
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Night Blue
With a: Manual box

Re: Android Head unit

Postby IamSteveLyons » Wed May 24, 2017 1:36 pm

I've now seen a Kenwood that looks like it can do the job and it uses android app ... Any one tried this. ? Apparently it puts Google maps on the head unit.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
IamSteveLyons
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:27 pm
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Salsa Red
With a: DSG box

Re: Android Head unit

Postby Phanc » Wed May 24, 2017 10:12 pm

mooney88 wrote:Been looking at this one. http://www.autopumpkin.co.uk/vw-volkswa ... n-bus.html

When I bought my scirocco 6 months ago I bought a parrot OMG dont do it they are a pile of rubbish.

Been reading a couple feeds that have bought eonon ones but needed a fakra antenna adaptor. Did any of you guys have the same issue with the pumpkin ones?


I considered this unit too but without any physical knobs and buttons on the unit I thought it might be a right faff with a touch screen whilst driving! I've recently installed the eonon ga7153 on my scirocco r, only had a couple of days- seems fine for now. I've downloaded sygic sat nav- that seems to work fine too! The standard music media player is poor but you can download other music apps which are much better but like springs mentioned the steering wheel buttons don't work! Radio works fine! The unit came with a fakra adaptor. Took me 10 mintutes to install the unit!
Phanc
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:18 pm
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Deep Black
With a: Manual box

Re: Android Head unit

Postby Urbandurban » Thu May 25, 2017 6:04 pm

IamSteveLyons wrote:I've now seen a Kenwood that looks like it can do the job and it uses android app ... Any one tried this. ? Apparently it puts Google maps on the head unit.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk


I'm going for the JVC KW-M730BT, looks solid for a good price. Android Auto, Bluetooth, Steering Wheel Controls etc.
Urbandurban
 
Posts: 126
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:31 am
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box

Re: Android Head unit

Postby IamSteveLyons » Thu May 25, 2017 6:05 pm

Urbandurban wrote:
IamSteveLyons wrote:I've now seen a Kenwood that looks like it can do the job and it uses android app ... Any one tried this. ? Apparently it puts Google maps on the head unit.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk


I'm going for the JVC KW-M730BT, looks solid for a good price. Android Auto, Bluetooth, Steering Wheel Controls etc.

Sounds great. I'll check it out. Does it need a facia or does it fit right in..?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
IamSteveLyons
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:27 pm
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Salsa Red
With a: DSG box

Re: Android Head unit

Postby IamSteveLyons » Thu May 25, 2017 6:07 pm

http://www.roadradio.com/JVC/KW-M730BT/ ... oChl3w_wcB

Looked at it. It mentiond auto paring for iPhone but not android

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
IamSteveLyons
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:27 pm
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Salsa Red
With a: DSG box

Re: Android Head unit

Postby Urbandurban » Fri May 26, 2017 10:13 am

IamSteveLyons wrote:
Urbandurban wrote:
IamSteveLyons wrote:I've now seen a Kenwood that looks like it can do the job and it uses android app ... Any one tried this. ? Apparently it puts Google maps on the head unit.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk


I'm going for the JVC KW-M730BT, looks solid for a good price. Android Auto, Bluetooth, Steering Wheel Controls etc.

Sounds great. I'll check it out. Does it need a facia or does it fit right in..?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk


You're gonna need one of these sets for everything to work and fit properly. https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/ctkvw01 ... g-kit.html
Urbandurban
 
Posts: 126
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:31 am
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box


Return to Tech Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 23 guests