TSI 160 and P2263

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
mannncho
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Shadow Blue

TSI 160 and P2263

Post by mannncho »

Hello. I have a problem with my car so im hopping that someone can help me. And sorry for my bad english, Im from Croatia. So, problem started few days ago, and tomorrow I have to go on vacation, and druve 500 km in eqch side. So maybe I can fix this till than. Problem is that I got CEL and scanned with obd, says p2263, turbocharger or turbo problem. When car is cold, no any problems in driving or anything else. But after 10-15 minutes, depends on driving style, car stops to pull. I can hear turbocharger sound working, but seems like something is stoping him to give the power out. Especially when the throttle is full to flor, acceleration is very low. But when I give im little throttle, than pulls little bit better. Feels like sonething is gushing him. Before this, I could feel that after 3500~ rpm car stops to pull with full power. And har to reach 5-6-7 000 rpm. Reach this wass possible only in first, second, and maybe thirs gear. After, realy slow, actualy I did not had a oportunity to drive it at 6000 rpm in 5th gear. So maybe someone had problem like this? Is maybe the boostleak somewhere? Or is this something bigger and more serious. Because some period after the car reaches 90 celsius, he still pulls, but than when you keep driving, power goes away. Maybe some balve or something? Thank you
Roy_01
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Sumatra
With a: DSG box

Re: TSI 160 and P2263

Post by Roy_01 »

What you notice is the engine safety program because of this active fault code.
Best is to get it checked before your vacation.
mannncho

Post by mannncho »

Okay, but I would like to know if anybody had issue like this, and try to fix this by myself because I dont have time to wait for service
blower
In: Reflex Silver

Post by blower »

P2263 relates to turbo charger boost system performance.

Check boost hoses for splits, or coming loose, from turbo to intercooler, from intercooler back to throttle body.
Code could also indicate a malfunctioning N75 solenoid valve - check vacuum hoses to the n75 valve (check all the hoses around the ignition coils - 2 route to the turbo charger)
Another cause could be a failed diverter valve leaking boost.

You say it doesn't happen for first 15 mins.....so no performance loss at all during that time? - full boost etc?

If that's the case then its unlikely its a split or loose hose. More likely a dying N75 or possibly the wastegate actuator is sticking open - might be worth spraying some high temp lube on the hinged portion of the wastegate actuator.
mannncho

Post by mannncho »

Okay I'll check tomorrow for hoses. Can you show me on picture where exactly is n75? And I didnt understanf this for lube. Is this possible to do without a lot of screwing around?
mannncho

Post by mannncho »

Is normal that one hose at the n75 valve is moist on the oitside? Close to valve. Its not none condese, its oil.
blower
In: Reflex Silver

Post by blower »

There shouldn't be any oil on the outside of the N75 hoses, but I wouldn't say its an indication of a problem - could just be a bit of oil seepage over time from the boost pressure line to the n75...check the hose thoroughly for a split.
mannncho

Post by mannncho »

Can you explain better where should I spray lube on wastegate? Do I have to remove anything, or is possible to do this from out side?
mannncho

Post by mannncho »

And how exactly I have to check if wastegate is sticking open? I tried to move it left/right when car is off, and I couldnt manage to move it. Strange. I cleabed n75 with solvent. For now, I havent any problems with acceleration till 3500 rpm. But after, car losses power, feels like normal 1.4. Not able to raise rpm in 5 and 6th gear higher than 4000. Because is very slow. Car simply wont pull after 3500 rpm. It doesnt matter is hot or cold at all.
salsajoe
In: Salsa Red
With a: Manual box
Options: multifunction steering wheel, fogs, 18" alloys; DAB; XDS activated, DRLs reset, lock beep activated; indicator repeat set to 4; covered cup holder, rear seat 12v socket installed. metal pedals, 210 Golf GTi also in the stable. Scirocco gone - miss it. Polo GTI now.

Post by salsajoe »

mannncho wrote:And how exactly I have to check if wastegate is sticking open? I tried to move it left/right when car is off, and I couldnt manage to move it. Strange. I cleabed n75 with solvent. For now, I havent any problems with acceleration till 3500 rpm. But after, car losses power, feels like normal 1.4. Not able to raise rpm in 5 and 6th gear higher than 4000. Because is very slow. Car simply wont pull after 3500 rpm. It doesnt matter is hot or cold at all.
The supercharger switches completes the switch to the turbo at about 3500 so if no power after that it would seem that the turbo is not working. A quote from the TSI training manual-

Up to a maximum engine speed of 3,500 rpm, the supercharger is activated when necessary. This is, for
example, necessary when the car is driven at a constant speed in this range and then accelerates quickly.
Due to the slow response of the turbocharger, acceleration would be delayed (turbo lag). Therefore the
supercharger is activated and the required boost pressure is reached as quickly as possible. From an engine speed of approx. 3,500 rpm, the
turbocharger can produce the required boost pressure on its own at any load point.
mannncho

Post by mannncho »

:p So, what are you exactly trying to say??
salsajoe
In: Salsa Red
Options: multifunction steering wheel, fogs, 18" alloys; DAB; XDS activated, DRLs reset, lock beep activated; indicator repeat set to 4; covered cup holder, rear seat 12v socket installed. metal pedals, 210 Golf GTi also in the stable. Scirocco gone - miss it. Polo GTI now.

Post by salsajoe »

The turbocharger is not coming on line. Only the supercharger is working hence when 3500rpm is reached and the supercharger totally cuts out the engine acts like a 1.4 normally aspirated engine without a turbocharger. Not sure what the problem is though
mannncho

Post by mannncho »

I still didnt solve the probpem. I cant find out where is the problem, and Im scared to get car to technician because of the cost, and I dont have money right now. I boight vag com yesterday, can this help me somehow? If I print the list of values, would you now where is the problem? And how can I in vag com scan only detailed turbo?
wakey1512
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 122/125
In: Rising Blue

Post by wakey1512 »

The turbo on these engines have a known issue with seizing wastegates. If you have a manual vacuum hand pump attach this to the wastegate actuator and try working it to see if you have a vacuum supply issue. To check if the wastegate is siezed remove the actuator from the lever and work the lever by hand.
ultimuss
In: Sumatra
Options: Dark Maroon Metallic
Retrofitted cruise control and a euro cupholder

Post by ultimuss »

I've been getting this error and the same symptoms on my Scirocco for almost a half a year now, although with small differences - I'd say the RPM when the engine loses boost is between 3200-2400, I can feel it the most in 3rd gear, even more when under load (more weight, uphill etc.). I went to several service people with this, including a VW dealership (decided to avoid them from now on, as the only thing they did was deleting the codes and charging 60€ for it). One service guy bashed the TSI on first sight of my car, to quote him "it's a piece of shit on wheels", but I take it only as a sign of a professional deformation - you couldn't find an engine he would actually like. Nevertheless, without trying it out he vaguely said the problem is in some kind of actuator, connected to the turbo, but that he refuses to replace the actuator as it's a pain to calibrate to the specific turbo unit, so the only way would be to replace the turbo.
Naturally, my response was negative. I mean, there could be a pressure/vacuum leak somewhere, or the wastegate could be stuck, or basically anything other than a fault in the turbo itself. I tried another service, they told me that they recommend a software update to the central unit so I went to the VW dealer with no success (apparently, SW updates are not a common practice?).
Anyway, after a few more months of driving, the issue got gradually worse until one time I was leaving a highway petrol station and while speeding up to catch up with the traffic, my 1.4 TSi turned into a flat 1.4 - I finally understood what it felt like taking a low-end Fabia on the highway.
As I'm expecting a bit of increased income in the coming months, I decided to take my car to the unlikeable service guy to do whatever is needed to fix this (replace gaskets, coils, hoses, pipes, solenoids, actuators) and if none of that works, replace/repair the turbo. It will still be cheaper than from the dealer because they only provide new parts, and I'm not paying 1200€ for a new turbo. I also think I'll use the guy to fix other minor issues I've been having - my passenger-side window doesn't drop when you touch the handle, only when the door moves, and I'm risking a broken window if someone pulls it quicker. Also, about a month ago I noticed the spark plugs or the injectors (please not the injectors) are a bit more noisy than they used to be, wonder what that could be. And also I'll have to get some rust/scratches repaired, the car is 7 years old.
Anyway, that's my story. What about you? Did you manage to fix it in the end? How did it go? Please, elaborate.
mannncho

Post by mannncho »

I changed the n75 last week, and I noticed slight better response on throttle. Possibly just placebo.. But judder at 3500rpm, and grandpa mode above 3500rpm still here. I dont know what to change next. Its so that every other car can pass over you :@ I haven`t noticed any leak. strange that I canhear supercharger spool very loud, but at 3400rpm, bum. nothing. ANy boost shuts off, ant back to regular 1.4. So no turbo at all, only supercharger. Maybe I should try pcv, or diverter valve?
mannncho

Post by mannncho »

Today I seted up phone to record wastegate when giving it a rev in neutral. I noticed that wastegate isnt moving at all. Should it move or not when rev in neutral?
mannncho

Post by mannncho »

Do I have to cancel CEL after replacing N75 to notice difference? Like some kind of reset? or? Anybody?