2.0L Tsi Wastegate Rattle Cure?

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
jonosussex
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Indium Grey
With a: DSG box
Options: sunroof, leather, satnav, reversing sensors, cruise, winter pack, headlight washers, folding mirrors..

Re: 2.0L Tsi Wastegate Rattle Cure?

Post by jonosussex »

Have just seen you have the 1.4 TSi; shouldn't be an issue for you.
1996-1999 Mazda 323 2.0 V6
1999-2002 Celica 190
2002-2005 Celica T-sport
2005-2008 Golf GTi
2008-2011 'Roc 2.0 TSi manual - Rising Blue
2011- ?? Roc 2.0 TSi DSG Indium Grey
RW1
Legend
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Candy White
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

Komar wrote:whats the sound like of this rattle?
maybe I have this olso......lol
Your noise doesn't happen to sound like this does it?
122ps CAXA engine- exhaust system - jarring noises.zip
C.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
Komar
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 122/125
With a: Manual box

Post by Komar »

noup :D
sir-rocco
Options: Panoramic roof, truffle leather, black interlagos rims, folding mirrors, prob a few more that I can't remember lol!

Post by sir-rocco »

My car also has this prob I'm having trouble getting Vw to do it, although still under warranty! I'm thinking I could just buy and fit the part my self, anyone done this?
Billc
I drive a: R-Line
In: Ultra Violet
Options: Dynaudio, DCC, bi-xenons

Post by Billc »

Have you quoted the reference number to them and got them to look it up?
Bill in Norfants
martdy
In: Rising Blue
Options: Vienna Leather,Winter Pack,Dynaudio with DAB,PanoRoof,Parking Sensors,Tyre Indicator,Non Smoking Smokers Pack,Cruise control,Folding Mirrors, Prem Mats/Sills,Gt Badge/Metal Pedals,Fiscon Bluetooth.

Post by martdy »

After starting the post I finally got round to having It done. Car was in for first MOT so had the clip fitted ,four new wheel centre caps and the firmware update for the window controller ,all done before the warranty ran out on the 5th of March.
I must say, it not only "cures" the rattle but the car feels noticeably smoother to drive. No problems with the dealer either .Told him what I wanted done and they did it.
After having four new Michelin PS3's fitted last week it's like a new car :clap:
Rising Blue,DSG,Vienna Leather,Winter Pack,Pano roof,Folding mirrors,Dynaudio/DAB,Park Sensors,Cruise, Flat tyre indicator,Prem Mats+Sills,Metal Pedals,Gt Badge,Fiscon,Covered cup holder/rear cup holders.Now gone Piano Black with new Climate Control
SCOTT

Post by SCOTT »

sounds very good mate, seems like they have got their act together now after me giving them codes etc for the wastegate rattle as they told ,me they had never heard of it and no other scirocco owner has mentioned it lol well i told them im the first one and once would gets around there will be plenty more coming in to have it done. as you say makes the car sound so much better and drive better without the rattle.

what the issue with the centre caps mate? and this firmware update?

can i ask how much you had the mich ps3 for please? and whats it like compared to your last set of tyres?
skippy
Options: Sat Nav, Leather, electric fold in mirrors, Dynaudio upgrade.

Now sold, but what a fantastic car!

Post by skippy »

Might sound a daft question, but is the wastegate rattle very obvious? I can't say I have ever noticed this, I assume this is the 'pingy' sort of noise that you get at around 2,500 rpm which then disappears as the revs climb. I have always ignored it but assume it is the Wastegate,

It is my last chance to get this fixed as my warranty is soon to expire, if somebody could enlighten me that would be appreciated.

Many thanks.
skippy

Post by skippy »

skippy wrote:Might sound a daft question, but is the wastegate rattle very obvious? I can't say I have ever noticed this, I assume this is the 'pingy' sort of noise that you get at around 2,500 rpm which then disappears as the revs climb. I have always ignored it but assume it is the Wastegate,

It is my last chance to get this fixed as my warranty is soon to expire, if somebody could enlighten me that would be appreciated.

Many thanks.
Just read back through the entire thread, this does sound like it. I can't say I have ever been bothered by it, but I am going to mention it. I bet I will have difficulty (as some of you have) in getting the dealer to acknowledge an issue.
martdy
Options: Vienna Leather,Winter Pack,Dynaudio with DAB,PanoRoof,Parking Sensors,Tyre Indicator,Non Smoking Smokers Pack,Cruise control,Folding Mirrors, Prem Mats/Sills,Gt Badge/Metal Pedals,Fiscon Bluetooth.

Post by martdy »

SCOTT wrote:sounds very good mate, seems like they have got their act together now after me giving them codes etc for the wastegate rattle as they told ,me they had never heard of it and no other scirocco owner has mentioned it lol well i told them im the first one and once would gets around there will be plenty more coming in to have it done. as you say makes the car sound so much better and drive better without the rattle.

what the issue with the centre caps mate? and this firmware update?

can i ask how much you had the mich ps3 for please? and whats it like compared to your last set of tyres?
Scott
Centre caps corrode from the outside in . Commonly referred to as "white worm" this is the second lot I've had in 3 years. The firmware update is for the window controller software on pre May 09 cars I think. The windows can drop on their own when the battery charge gets low. RW1 posted about this somewhere.
As for the tyres I paid £720 all in for 4 ,and first impressions are very good. I had Pirellis before. When I get some miles on them I'll post in a more relevant place
Martin
Rising Blue,DSG,Vienna Leather,Winter Pack,Pano roof,Folding mirrors,Dynaudio/DAB,Park Sensors,Cruise, Flat tyre indicator,Prem Mats+Sills,Metal Pedals,Gt Badge,Fiscon,Covered cup holder/rear cup holders.Now gone Piano Black with new Climate Control
skippy

Post by skippy »

Got the wastegate clip fitted to my car today and yes, I can also vouch for its success. That 'tinny/vibrating' noise at about 2,200 rpm has largely disappeared, I would never have known about this unless the knowledgable guys on here (you know who you are) had not mentioned it, big thanks to all. :clap:

My only slight issue, upon getting back in my car the MFD displayed an 'oil sensor' workshop message, which was not there before. As I was at the dealer anyway, they put it back in the workshop and all was fixed a few mins later. As I suspected it was a sensor that had not been secured properly (wire?).

All good now though! :)
speccy48
Options: Leather
Sat Nav
Rear Parking Sensors

Post by speccy48 »

Hi All,

I've just had the Wastegate rattle clip installed & again i can confirm it makes a big difference to the rattle noise.
I also had the windscreen rattle sorted out at the same time. This needs velcro padding (yes,really) put on the bulkhead between it & the bottom of the windscreen.
Also they apparently realign the position of the ECU on the bulkhead.
As my Roc is over 3 years old (but I have Das Velt Auto warranty) I had to argue the toss as regards to paying for it.
In the end as a goodwill gesture I got 100% parts & 60% labour paid by VW, so only cost me £95 in the end.
skippy

Post by skippy »

speccy48 wrote:Hi All,

I've just had the Wastegate rattle clip installed & again i can confirm it makes a big difference to the rattle noise.
I also had the windscreen rattle sorted out at the same time. This needs velcro padding (yes,really) put on the bulkhead between it & the bottom of the windscreen.
Also they apparently realign the position of the ECU on the bulkhead.
As my Roc is over 3 years old (but I have Das Velt Auto warranty) I had to argue the toss as regards to paying for it.
In the end as a goodwill gesture I got 100% parts & 60% labour paid by VW, so only cost me £95 in the end.
Result! :yes:

Yes - I nearly did not bother with the wastegate clip, as it was not really causing a problem and not a fault as such, I did not fancy the dealership taking stuff apart and risking a new fault. I believe it took them an hour, so maybe not as much labour as I expected and all appears to be good. Mind you, if I had not had the work done, I maybe would have been kicking myself anyway next time I heard the rattle. :)
zenekor
In: Opal Silver
Options: \◣__◢/

Post by zenekor »

Despite the fact that 2.0TSI is CCZB I had mine car treated accoringly to TSB# 2024061 altough this Technical Bulletin is for CBFA, CCTA only! I had to convince VW to do this on my sole responsibility. That means istalling part 06J145220A and upgrading ECU. After that car runs smooth like silk. No rattle at all! :clap:
RW1
Legend
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

zenekor wrote:Despite the fact that 2.0TSI is CCZB I had mine car treated accoringly to TSB# 2024061 altough this Technical Bulletin is for CBFA, CCTA only!
You have used a USA bulletin number (2024061) on a European car. So not surprised at their reluctance at the dealership. Would have been much easier if you had asked for 2021062/10 (Now 2021062/12). Same result! Same clip part for all.

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
ROO
Options: Dsg..Vienna Leather..Panoramic roof..Sat Nav..Winter Pack..Servicing pack

Post by ROO »

I had the repair done today too, not had chance to drive it yet though as they have only just delivered it home to me. Will see tomorrow
Andy Rocc
Options: ...
Factory 19" Black Lugano Pack
Factory Heated Black Leather

Added Extras...

Eibach Pro Kit
Audi TT/S3 Short Shifter
Gloss Black Mirror Covers
Gloss Black VW Emblems

Post by Andy Rocc »

I know I'm digging up an old thread here but mine has just started to rattle :rolleyes: it's just over 3 years old (only done 16000 miles) but it comes with a vw 1 year warranty. Are most if not all dealers aware of this issue now and will my warranty cover me? I'm from Manchester if anyone can point me to a dealer with some knowledge of this problem.
Terryrussell1952
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Dark Oak

Post by Terryrussell1952 »

I had my previous 2.0tsi done by the VW dealer I bought it from, no charge. They are in Sawston, Cambridge. I know that is a long way for you but I've just part exchanged it at Altringham VW who have been brilliant, it might be worth trying them, they are good people.
Andy Rocc
Options: ...
Factory 19" Black Lugano Pack
Factory Heated Black Leather

Added Extras...

Eibach Pro Kit
Audi TT/S3 Short Shifter
Gloss Black Mirror Covers
Gloss Black VW Emblems

Post by Andy Rocc »

Thanks terry I'll give them a ring tomorrow.
selleym
In: Deep Black
Options: Mirror Pack

Mods:
Bonnet Struts
Metal Pedals

Post by selleym »

Just about to take mine in for a test drive with the mechanic on Thursday! Hopefully they can get it sorted! :clap:

But they want to book it in for a whole day of diagnostics and repair :rolleyes: :shrug: