anyone else had this problem??

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
simonf
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box

anyone else had this problem??

Post by simonf »

my scirocco has only done 1500 miles, and i've not had a problem with it....until now......went to start it this morning, and it 2 two or 3 attempts of turning the car over for approx 5 secs before it started...went and done the shopping and when it came to starting it, it done the same, only taking slightly longer to eventually start. bit later in the day same again on start up, drove about 30 miles, filled up, and same again on starting, maybe a little longer to start, went to a friends where I was for maybe an hour, and when I went to leave, it was just turning and turning and not firing, plenty of battery life, but no fire...waiting for Volkswagen assist to arrive, poss 2 and half hours, given the strife I had to go through to get them out [another story] so i'm guessing the car had cooled down, the rac guy went to fire it up and it started on the button!!!! tried it a few more times and same story, he ran a full diagnostics check and there was no faults whatsoever to be seen. we concluded the problem might be when the engine is warmer and that I should leave it running and not turn it off until I get home and try it then, needless to say I got home and tried it a few times and it was starting on the button again. I'll see what happens over the next few days, but was wondering has anyone else had similar problems?? its a tdi 170 btw.
maisbitt
Options: Parking Sensors, Smokers Pack (for aesthetics), R gearstick, R pedals, Sliding cup holder cover.

Re: anyone else had this problem??

Post by maisbitt »

Sounds like the glow plugs weren't working when you had trouble getting the car to start, and then they were working for the RAC - intermittent ault. If this is intermittent, you need to get this sorted. Might not be a bother in the summer when the car is easier to start without them, as it's warmer, but come the winter it might be very difficult to start the car without them working properly.

If it's not the glow plugs then it will probably be a fuel delivery fault.
2013 - Tornado Red MK7 Golf GTD on order
2011-2013 - Rising Blue 170GT
2009-2011 - Pewter Roc 140GT
2007-2009 - Tornado Red Golf 170TDI GT
2005-2007 - Black Pearl Golf 140TDI GT
2003-2005 - Black Pearl Polo 1.9TDI
simonf

Post by simonf »

car was working fine for the rest of last night, and again today, until just now!!!!! now waiting for the RAC again, going to just have it recovered to the dealership for investigation I think. Admittedly the fuel warning light is on, but the petrol station was my next port of call, however that wasn't the case yesterday when it was happening, and never had the same problem in my old roc when it got low on fuel

will add a video when it has finished uploading

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; <---- oh well now waiting for it to be recovered to the dealership :cry: wonder if they will loan me an R, if I say i'm interested in one lol
simonf

Post by simonf »

got to the dealers, and again it seems that as soon as the engine had got cold it started 1st time on the button, left it with em to sort, but anyone got any ideas what could be causing this??
bianco
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Deep Black
With a: DSG box
Options: All except sunroof, ACC, Dynaudio & rear seats. Lowered a bit for the looks :-)

Post by bianco »

Could sound like fuelline problems.

airvent for the fuel tank clogged causing vaccum in the fuel tank
fuel filter clogged restricting flow
fuel line empties into fuel tank when fuel pump off.

Only... none of them fit exactly with the symptoms You describe... :?
simonf

VW made me chuckle....

Post by simonf »

Well after having a bit of trouble with my Roc, it was recovered to the main dealers, now bearing in mind that the tank is now virtually empty, and the car has been driving fine, just wouldn't start when hot....they told me the tank was full of unleaded petrol, {upon checking receipts, it would appear that my other half had inadvertently put a tenner of unleaded in it!!!!! and I had since put £20 of DIESEL in it] VW were telling me that I would need X,Y & Z replacing at a cost of £5-6000 :eyepop: lol.....my other half's uncle owns a reputable garage and MOT station, and he said that it had already been diluted and that draining something off, cleaning something and replacing a filter and fulling the tank with diesel will be sufficient..no more than the AA or RAC do when they are called out for this thing....I told the VW dealer that I would not want them to do that work and I will be collecting the car, they have told me I will need to sign a disclaimer saying that it is against their recommendation that I take the car.

Now if I get the car recovered away, as opposed to being driven, can they still make me sign the disclaimer??
Chungster
Options: One of the 1st Roc R owners in the UK :)

Post by Chungster »

Another vote for keeping women AWAY from your pride and joy. Dozy bint! :no:
simonf

Post by simonf »

Chungster wrote:Another vote for keeping women AWAY from your pride and joy. Dozy bint! :no:
yeah first she locks the car keys in it....now this lol....still can't believe they are trying to sting me 5-6000 though lol
Chungster

Post by Chungster »

Oh that was u as well ...my god! Get her a corsa 1.0 and keep the Roc keys hidden!

In fact tell her to use public transport!
wigit
Options: I used to own one

Post by wigit »

blimey sorry to here that simon, it was bad enough mrs w putting 95 in instead of super
Golf 7R - Golf 7R - BMW M2
Jane
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Deep Black
Options: Gone forever.... :-((

Audi TTS... Making me :-)) again

Post by Jane »

Chungster wrote:Another vote for keeping women AWAY from your pride and joy. Dozy bint! :no:
Bit harsh ! If only she was as perfect as you :lol:
maisbitt
Options: Parking Sensors, Smokers Pack (for aesthetics), R gearstick, R pedals, Sliding cup holder cover.

Post by maisbitt »

I suppose that running some petrol through it and it appeared to be running ok when it got started may not have apparently done much engine damage (if any). It may well have cooked the catalyst and DPF though. Unsure what the MOT emissions testing is for Diesels, although I know they are less strict than for petrols (no testing currently performed to assess efficiency of DPF etc). If it runs fine afterward with a proper fill of diesel, you can run it without MOT until it is 3 years old.

Diesel engines combust a lot hotter than petrol engines, if there is any damage it would be probably attributed to different expansion rates upon combustion. The fact that it seemed to run ok when you got it started would suggest that not a lot happened.

If I were you, i'd have the car recovered, tank drained, fuel filters changed and fill it right up with diesel and get it running (but your uncle already suggested that anyway).

As for the huge bill. I suspect VW want you to replace everything that could potentially be damaged rather than what is actually damaged (if anything).

This happens more often than you think, I doubt whether many people are faced with a £5000 bill when this happens.

Tell your partner to take the bus too! :lol: She probably did it so you'd never ask her to fill the car up ever again.
Chungster

Post by Chungster »

How does something like this affect the warranty...cos the dealer knows about it obviously. Could they rebuke any engine related claims due to incorrect fuel being used once upon a time??
maisbitt

Post by maisbitt »

Chungster: Depends whether the issue was logged with VW UK or whether it was just looked at informally by the dealer. Most dealerships don't care who is paying for required work, if they an get VW to pay out for it because it isn't completely obvious that a mis-fuelling was to blame then they'll (generally) happily do it as warranty work.
simonf

Post by simonf »

well, reading around on various forums, seems that quite a few people have been scared into paying these extortionate sums of money, where others have simply drained and replaced filters, filled up and had no issues whatsoever, given in that 5 months time I will be replacing the car, that is the option I have gone for. Roc is running as smooth as ever again and there is no pre-ignition problems like before [touch wood]

Interestingly I read that it is due to the common rail injection system that forces such drastic repair measures when petrol is placed in Diesel engines, however I read that BMW say during winter months it's fine to mix 25% petrol in with the diesel, to prevent waxing [prior to anti waxing diesel, I imagine??] can this be true??
chrisyboyc
In: Candy White
Options: Leather,Criuse Control, Dynaudio possible RS6 alloys if i have cash

Post by chrisyboyc »

Chungster wrote:How does something like this affect the warranty...cos the dealer knows about it obviously. Could they rebuke any engine related claims due to incorrect fuel being used once upon a time??
just take it to another dealer i doubt that will be logged on a national database
If you see S9 CTC driving around give us a wave I do 40,000 miles a year it gets lonely out there
tonymar
In: Viper Green
Options: 12 point electric black leather seats , dvd sat nav, parking sensors, electric mirrors, prem mats and flaps , alloy door sills , alloy foot pedals, GT steering wheel badge , 1983 mk1 scirocco GLS

Post by tonymar »

6 grand thats exstortion check it out with vw uk , but dont tell them you have had it in at main dealer
simonf

Post by simonf »

well I replaced the diesel filter, filled it up and haven't had any sign of any problems over the last 750 miles...so they can stick their 6 grand!!! telling me that this that and the other will fail. Pffft
Chungster

Post by Chungster »

Good result just don't do it again !! :yes:
tonymar
In: Viper Green
Options: 12 point electric black leather seats , dvd sat nav, parking sensors, electric mirrors, prem mats and flaps , alloy door sills , alloy foot pedals, GT steering wheel badge , 1983 mk1 scirocco GLS

Post by tonymar »

The dealership that quoted you that price wants reporting to v.w. in Germany