Your 1st winter as a Scirocco owner

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
goatboy
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Salsa Red
With a: DSG box
Options: Leather!

Re: Do windows stick in winter?

Post by goatboy »

I used to have this on my old 350z, anything like a frost and the whole door would be frown solid, very annoying!
viperoc
In: Viper Green
Options: winter pack and cruise control

Re: Your 1st winter as a Scirocco owner

Post by viperoc »

why did my last car have frameless windows yet never needed this rigmarole??? :shrug: It was a Hyundai Coupe SIII by the way.
Deacon
Options: Tuned 1.4tsi - gone but not forgotten!

Post by Deacon »

viperoc wrote:why did my last car have frameless windows yet never needed this rigmarole??? :shrug: It was a Hyundai Coupe SIII by the way.
Had three frameless window cars before the 'Roc and all have been fine. Definitely a p.i.t.a!
playing in my '86
viperoc
Options: winter pack and cruise control

Post by viperoc »

totally agree my friend!! its certainly NOT PROGRESS is it??
ik1978
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box
Options: 18'' alloy wheels, fog lights, tinted windows, 2zone climate control, Premium Sills.

Frozen windows?

Post by ik1978 »

Does anyone else have touble getting into their Scirocco on a frosty/icy morning. When I get these conditions the windows don't drop when I press the remote. It's possible to open the door if you're very careful but can't then shut the door because trying to might break the glass if I try to force it into the rubber seal. I've now bought a car cover but it seems ridiculous to me that in some conditions I can't get into a car that cost£20k+. Sciroccos aren't the only cars with frameless doors. Is any other car affected?
Last edited by RW1 on Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: 7 pages using the search and "freeze" ;)
sciroccorocket
I drive a: Scirocco R
Options: Parking Sensors Pano roof Sat Nav

Re: Frozen windows?

Post by sciroccorocket »

i think everyone has problems but i think the later cars have modified rubbers
RoccoScientist
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 122/125

Post by RoccoScientist »

ik1978 wrote:It's possible to open the door if you're very careful but can't then shut the door because trying to might break the glass if I try to force it into the rubber seal.
The glass won't break, it's the seal that might not like it.
Is any other car affected?
Yes, in practice all of them to some extent.
sciroccorocket wrote:i think everyone has problems but i think the later cars have modified rubbers
I haven't heard of any modified rubbers, but I doubt they'll be of much help. I've used the rubber care stick (and similar stuff) and I've used a credit card to separate the outer seals from the window before opening but the window still gets stuck sometimes. It's not really a problem when it's properly cold and the air is dry, but when the temperature drops from a few degress above 0 C to a few degrees below, it's a different story. The one thing that would help noticeably is a stronger engine for the window lift.
RW1
Legend
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

RoccoScientist wrote:I haven't heard of any modified rubbers.
Revised lower door window seals were introduced into production during June 2010 at chassis wvwzzz13zBV001800. The seals can be retro-fitted. VW state its not a 100% solution.

Interestingly, they haven't changed the seals on the EOS. They recommend lubricant is applied to the inner felt face of the outer window seal. Its a little bottle with a felt foam head (Part no. D 000 810 A1 - 40ml, Dry Lubricant to assist in the movement of plastic components)
But no revised seal is fitted. The lub is expensive at around £25. When applied on the inner lip, it has to be allowed to dry before refitting the outer rubber window seal.

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
RoccoScientist
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 122/125

Post by RoccoScientist »

Thanks for the info once again, RW1. How easy is it to retrofit the seals?
RW1
Legend
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

About an hour at most for both sides. The seals won't be cheap. Just pull out (gently). Its covered by warranty!

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
miniman
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
Options: Satnav,Heated Leather,Panoramic Roof,19''Alloys,

Post by miniman »

TIP :
Just trap a sheet of newspaper the night before, next morning the seals havent frozen to the glass, do it when you cover the windscreen.
A Thing Of Beauty Is A Joy Forever