Price of front coil spring!

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
Jimmy Gee
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box

Price of front coil spring!

Post by Jimmy Gee »

Hi all
Don't know if anyone can shed any light on this but ive got a snapped front suspension spring on my scirocco (2.0 tsi). Ive been calling mobile mechanics for quotes and only one guy has got back to me so far. Putting labour costs aside, he quoted me £120 just for a single spring! He has said its due to having adaptive dampers and therefore has a different spring, I feel like like he is trying it on and just having a quick look at gsf/euro carparts they are around £30-40 which is what I expected.

Is this guy pulling my leg or what? Your thoughts would be appreciated, thanks :yes:
Jimmy
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Re: Price of front coil spring!

Post by Cuprabob »

The adaptive dampers have no impact on the cost of the spring. It's just a normal spring.

That sounds like the price of the OEM spring from the dealer. As you say you can pick up a pattern part relatively cheaply from ECP and the likes. Personally, while the strut is stripped, I also assemble with a new strut top bearing and mount.
Jimmy Gee
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI

Re: Price of front coil spring!

Post by Jimmy Gee »

Thanks for the reply Bob, you have confirmed what I thought.
I did specifically say to him I don't need an OEM part. I think he is possibly trying to make up any shortfall in having to come to the door to fit it but I would happily pay him for his time and travel, just didn't fancy paying 4x over the odds for a basic spring. Cheers