Indicator dash bulb defective

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
Ian_roc
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Viper Green
With a: Manual box

Indicator dash bulb defective

Post by Ian_roc »

Hi everyone, this is my first post on here since getting my 2.0 tsi a couple of months ago so still getting used to the car at the moment. Anyway, my indicator's work fine but the bulb on the dash for the left hander is dodgy, at first it flickered, then it died completely and now it works to a fashion but is quite dull and clearly on it's way out. I've looked around the net for a video on how to remove the instrument cluster with a view to changing the bulb but can't find anything anywhere.

Before I start taking things apart in vain can anyone tell me if the bulb can be changed or whether it's all integrated LED's or similar? Is this a common problem on VW's?
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Re: Indicator dash bulb defective

Post by Cuprabob »

Welcome to the forum.

There is no bulb to change. All the warning lights in the cluster are SMD LEDs. The LEDs can be changed with the right soldering equipment but it might just simply be a dodgy connection. As far as I'm aware it's not a common fault.
Ian_roc

Post by Ian_roc »

Thanks CupraBob, do you know if it's much trouble to get the cluster out so I can examine it?
Nikoo
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: I'm 19yrs old - H&R 35mm lowering springs - wheel spacers - LED tail lights - Leather interior - sunroof - Facelift rear bumper - R style custom exhaust - Resonator delete - Black Roof - Cup spoiler

Post by Nikoo »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

^^^ - this should hopefully be accurate to how your dash set up & should be the same removal. Looks simple and seems like it's easy to put back if you just wanted a look behind there mate
Ian_roc

Post by Ian_roc »

That looks a lot easier than I was anticipating, at least I can give the wires a wiggle now to see if it's the connection. :yes:
Nikoo
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: I'm 19yrs old - H&R 35mm lowering springs - wheel spacers - LED tail lights - Leather interior - sunroof - Facelift rear bumper - R style custom exhaust - Resonator delete - Black Roof - Cup spoiler

Post by Nikoo »

Goodluck lad, keep us updated :)
Ian_roc

Post by Ian_roc »

I finally got around to looking at this again and it's definately the cable, if I give it a wiggle the indicator starts to flicker instead of flash. It looks like I'd have to get half the dash out to replace it though so going to have to give it some thought for now.

It's no great problem but the lights behind the speedo and tacho went out for a bit the other day so it might be getting worse, lol.
Cuprabob
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

Ian_roc wrote: It's no great problem but the lights behind the speedo and tacho went out for a bit the other day so it might be getting worse, lol.
Just incase you're not aware the lights behind the speedo and tacho can go out in low light conditions to trigger you to switch on your lights. There is an ambient light sensor in the cluster that controls the brightness.
Ian_roc

Post by Ian_roc »

Never knew that, maybe that was it. It did coincide with the indicator light not working at the same time though. My daytime running lights are always on too (can't find how to turn them off).
Cuprabob

Post by Cuprabob »

Ian_roc wrote:My daytime running lights are always on too (can't find how to turn them off).
On some of the earlier cars you can switch them off using the "stalk method" below, on the later cars it can be done using VCDS. My car has Xenons and the DRLs can be switched on and off through the convenience menu.

Stalk Method
1. With the ignition off, push the indicator stalk down and pull it towards you (as if putting the left indicator on and flashing the full beam at someone). Hold it in this position (your indicator and full beam will be activated)

2. Now turn the ignition on with your key (still holding the indicator stalk in the position above).

3. Count slowly to five and you should hear a chime.

4. Turn the ignition off and release the indicator stalk and put it back in it's central position.

To turn them back on just repeat the above but with the indicator in the up position (right hand indicator on)
Ian_roc

Post by Ian_roc »

Saw that in the instruction manual but it doesn't work on mine unfortunately.
Ian_roc

Post by Ian_roc »

Sorry to resurrect an old thread here but I'm still struggling with this. It got worse again recently to the point where the indicator doesn't work most of the time and wiggling the wire doesn't make any difference now. I thought I'd take a punt on a second-hand unit off ebay and have just connected it up. The indicator seems to work OK but as I imagine those in the know would expect, the mileage is wrong and I can't start the car now.

Is there anything I can do about this or would it need to go to VW for recoding or similar?
Cuprabob

Post by Cuprabob »

Unfortunately the cluster holds the codes the immobiliser so the keys will need coded to it, otherwise, as you have found the car wont start. If my memory serves me right you need some one with VAG Tacho to do it.
Ian_roc

Post by Ian_roc »

Thanks Bob, I thought that might be the case.
Ian_roc

Post by Ian_roc »

Ok now I'm in trouble. I put my dash back in and the car works fine but there's load of warning lights on the now whilst i'm driving.

I tried disconnecting the battery for 40 minutes to reset the ECU but it's made no difference. My code reader isn't reporting any error codes so there's nothing to clear.

Is there anything more I can try or has it got to go to a garage now?

Bloody radio wants a code too which I don't have.