2.0 TSI Timing Chain Tensioner Question

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
fuzzyfelt
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Deep Black
With a: DSG box
Options: Leather, sunroof

2.0 TSI Timing Chain Tensioner Question

Post by fuzzyfelt »

Im looking at buying a 2009 scirocco 2.0 tsi thats come up locally but would like to know if the tensioner ONLY can safely be replaced?

I ask this because after calling a few garages, two said they would want to do the whole chain etc as one big job to the tune of around £750+. I understand the service life of the chain should be much longer (140k?) And that the flaw lies with the ratchet design of the tensioner, so is this extensive work necessary?

I dont want this issue to be a barrier to owning this lovely car but if the costs are likely to go this high it may be. What has everyone else done?

For info the car has 50k, fsh and sounds great but I know this fault can appear suddenly without much warning.

Thanks in advance for any useful advice here.
Jimjimjim
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box

Re: 2.0 TSI Timing Chain Tensioner Question

Post by Jimjimjim »

From my personal experience I changed the 3 guides (the top and 2 sides), the main chain and the tensioner itself. Then the lower timing chain cover is a one use item so should be replaced along with the bolts for it also.

The chain and the tensioner are the main replacements because the chain stretches and the tensioner fails but the guides cost about £25 to £35 for all 3 so may aswell be refreshed as your there.