Replacing oil with an extractor after injector failure

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
itisgeorge
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Viper Green
With a: Manual box

Post by itisgeorge »

Hi all,

Looking for some advice regarding changing contaminated oil after injectors was replaced after it became stuck open causing a misfire. Had a friend do the work for me, in total replacing 2 injectors, plugs and coilpacks, and the problem is now resolved. At the time I had no idea the oil had to be changed after this kind of thing so nothing was mentioned; however I've since checked the oil level (as I regularly do) and noticed a slight petrol smell.

I feel like changing the oil is a fairly straightforward task and would rather do it myself if I'm able to rather than calling in more favours. Oil extractors look the simplest way of doing this, without the need of getting under the car and messing with sump plugs (worried about torquing/stripping the thread, or worse finding the previous owner stripped the thread) - my question is, do these work well with the scirocco engines/sumps and would this be an advisable way to remove contaminated oil?

From what I've researched the extractors do not remove all the oil and leaves a little amount in the bottom of the sump, but from what I've researched a little petrol in the oil isn't too much to worry about so would this be ok once diluted down into new oil.

Appreciate any help, including recommending oil extractors if it's an advisable way of doing it.

Cheers
Dreamer
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Candy White

Re: Replacing oil with an extractor after injector failure

Post by Dreamer »

I’ve been draining oil for years from the sump plug. You will still have small traces in the engine and sump.

I recently purchased and oil extraction pump. Best thing I’ve bought in years.

If in doubt fill with cheap correct grade. Run it for a 100 miles then drop it and fill with fresh oil. Job done and it will stay clean for a long time[emoji41][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roy_01
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Sumatra
With a: DSG box

Post by Roy_01 »

Works perfect, been using a Pela 650 for years now.
itisgeorge

Post by itisgeorge »

Fantastic, thanks both for your replies.

Can you see any issue removing petrol contaminated oil? As I’ve been shopping around some pumps seem to carry a warning that they shouldn’t be used to extract petrol/flammable/hazardous liquids, not sure if this is related to the plastic material or if there are any other risks. In my case it’s obviously not neat fuel though.

Is the Pela 650 worth the money compared to the cheaper ones like the Pela 6000?

Thanks again and appreciate replies!

Dreamer
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150

Post by Dreamer »

If it was neat petrol maybe but it’s just oil with traces of petrol. Not a problem.

This is the pump I use. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01M0UN2RT/ ... eFbM2PSBPD

itisgeorge

Post by itisgeorge »

Perfect, thanks for your help. I've ordered a pump and just need oil now!

Cheers
a4gee
With a: DSG box
Options: Winter pack,Parking sensors,Dynaudio,Tyre indicator,Pano roof,GT steering wheel badge,VW Mats, rubber/premium,Headlight and led upgrade interior/exterior,Metal pedals inc foot rest,HK sills,R lights,Cup holder for rear,Concealed ashtray,Auto coming home headlights.

Post by a4gee »

How much was the new injectors? How did you know they were faulty? What was the test?

cheers
itisgeorge

Post by itisgeorge »

a4gee wrote:How much was the new injectors? How did you know they were faulty? What was the test?

cheers
Can't remember exactly but I think parts cost were around £100 each injector. Basically the engine suffered with a misfire, and the coilpacks had been changed a few months back so they were ruled out. Next the spark plugs were changed but the misfire persisted.

Each cylinder was compression tested and during that found that two of the injectors were spraying neat fuel, and were basically stuck open.
itisgeorge

Post by itisgeorge »

Another question re the oil extractor! I have everything I need to complete it now, but my driveway has a slight incline and I'm wondering if it would be better to have the front pointing up the incline, or down. Dipstick tube must either go to the front or back right?

Thanks again!