Strange rattle at 1300-1500 rpm

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
Whatsgood
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box
Options: None

Strange rattle at 1300-1500 rpm

Post by Whatsgood »

Hi all

My 2011 scirocco 170 tdi has an odd metallic rattle/deep vibrating noise when accelerating at low rpm both with clutch engaged and without in neutral, first and second gear. This happens when the engine is warm and I’ve used the turbo. It’s not clutch or gearbox related because these work perfectly fine. I am thinking it’s something more related to a heat shield/exhaust being lose. I’ve also discovered the engine cover is not on properly so it vibrates

I have a video link here showing what sound I am getting, this ones in neutral: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Im new to diesel so I’m not sure if this is what they are meant to sound like however its too loud for it to be ‘normal’ imo. . Would you be able to help me out?

Thank you!
Deagol
In: Deep Black
Options: Parking sensors, Winter pack, Black Leather, Flat Tyre indicator, Mudflaps
Pump & Music from another dimension

Re: Strange rattle at 1300-1500 rpm

Post by Deagol »

Hi Whatsgood,

I too drive a 2.0 TDi but I couldn't hear your problem on the Youtube video - blame my PC speakers.

My car had a rattle around the same range of RPM and it turned out to the bonnet strut vibrating on the front of the engine bay. It happened both moving and stationery and I worked it out by parking the car and putting the bonnet up, with the strut, then running the engine through 1,000 to 1,600 RPM. Bonnet up, no noise !
I put a piece of sponge padding under the strut when I clipped it back down again and "Problem Solved". Give it a go and let us know if that fixes things.

If your car still makes the rattle when you have the bonnet up, it could well be the heat shield issue. There are plenty of other users here who have posted about that.

D
Baptised with Aerosmith
cjb
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Rising Blue
With a: DSG box

Post by cjb »

Can anyone point me at the heat shield issue? My 140 TDI has a rattle, worse when warm, at around 1300 rpm, that I've tried, and failed to find. Does is stationary or moving.
Whatsgood
In: Candy White
Options: None

Post by Whatsgood »

Thanks all for the replies. So I have looked around and finally managed to come to the conclusion. After inspecting this noise with the hood up I've pinpointed the rattle to come from the air intake pipe being loose which was causing the plastic to vibrate very loudly, creating a rattling noise. I have tightened with some foam and the noise has ceased.

Hope this helps all.