Carbon build up

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
Myles.wilcock
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Deep Black
With a: Manual box

Carbon build up

Post by Myles.wilcock »

Thinking my 2.0tsi is struggling with carbon build up, it just doesn't drive smooth. Has plenty of power if i floor it but if I'm just driving normal seems to be a bit rough running, just had new plugs and coils.

Has anybody used terraclean? And does it work? they say they can do direct injection cleaning for carbon build up

Before i take it to be stripped

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
NightSky
In: Opal Silver

Re: Carbon build up

Post by NightSky »

Interested
Paradox1
I drive a: Haven't decided yet

Post by Paradox1 »

Myles.wilcock wrote:Thinking my 2.0tsi is struggling with carbon build up, it just doesn't drive smooth. Has plenty of power if i floor it but if I'm just driving normal seems to be a bit rough running, just had new plugs and coils.

Has anybody used terraclean? And does it work? they say they can do direct injection cleaning for carbon build up

Terra clean wont work, you will need a company to remove the inlet manifold and clean the inlet valves manually. Companies offer walnut blasting to clean it. Places like Rtech offer a drive in drive out service for this. While its all apart, its worth getting your injectors flow tested too.
DubSteve68
In: Indium Grey
With a: DSG box
Options: LEATHER/DUAL ZONE CLIMATE/RLS

Mods:

RNS-510*
CRUISE CONTROL*
REMOTE FOLDING MIRRORS WITH REVERSE DIP*
R-LINE SMOKED/CHERRY REAR CLUSTERS*
SMOKED FRONT INDICATORS*
BCM CODED FOR LED LIGHTING*
DUAL REAR FOGS*
FRONT FOGS AS DRL (PRL OFF, SIDELIGHTS OFF IN DRL CHANNEL)*

Post by DubSteve68 »

Myles.wilcock wrote:Thinking my 2.0tsi is struggling with carbon build up, it just doesn't drive smooth. Has plenty of power if i floor it but if I'm just driving normal seems to be a bit rough running, just had new plugs and coils.

What Paradox1 said.

Additionally, Terraclean's main function is to shift combustion chamber carbonisation by burning highly refined fuel but this isn't going to touch the inlet tract on a direct injection engine.

It's a case of you get what you pay for and unfortunately there are no cheap and effective fixes. There are many chemical cleaning solutions available from respected companies such as Liqui Moly which can help reduce buildup, maybe worth a look if funds are tight (especially in the run up to Christmas), but none of these are going to come near to the factory-fresh end result of media blasting. If you get a proper job done you're not going to have to deal with it again for a good while so it may just end up saving time and money in the long run compared to hacks and half-fixes.

A good quality oil catch-can can help mitigate future buildups by reducing the amount of sticky oil vapours being recirculated into the inlet tract from the crankcase ventilation system. This will also help reduce future buildups in the manifold, another common failure point.

Cheers, DubSteve
Genuine VCDS and VCP System available in North West - Burnley/Pendle/Ribble Valley/Craven areas. PM me if in need.
Andy b
In: Night Blue
Options: Black 18" interlagos wheels
Truffle leather
H&R lowering springs, 30mm drop
VW sill kick plates
Alive tuning stage 1 (248hp/322nm)
Helix organic clutch
R8 coil packs

Post by Andy b »

I had a build up of carbon deposits on my 2.0tsi, similar issues to the 1st post

I saw the build up myself and my local indie vw garage said that they would try to see if terraclean would work if I was willing for them to have a go whilst the inlet manifold was off the car and a new injector was fitted. They weren’t sure if the valves would seal sufficiently to allow the terraclean to sit above the valves For long enough and do something

Needless to say it did sit long enough and with some physical cleaning the carbon deposits were drastically reduced, I also physically saw the results

It runs much smoother now and the indie garage are now trying it on other cars with carbon build up

Edit, also they have found that a catch can does nothing to reduce carbon build up, best thing to do is more frequent oil changes as older oil exacerbates carbon build up. I now have mine done every 5000miles,
Paradox1
I drive a: Haven't decided yet

Post by Paradox1 »

Thanks for posting you finding.

I think a catch can is more for the oil residue in the pipework than the actual carbon build up