DCC - am I supposed to notice a difference?

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
Oscirocco
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Reflex Silver
With a: Manual box

DCC - am I supposed to notice a difference?

Post by Oscirocco »

Hello,

I bought my first Scirocco 7 months ago (2.0 tsi GT, 09) and I have yet to notice a difference with the DCC-system in the car. When I first tried the car at a dealership, I pressed the button and it made some noises from under the car, which I assume is the car adapting to whatever mode I chose. I never tried the difference between Sport and Comfort as I took it for a test drive when there was a lot of ice on the road so I doubted I would notice a difference with the low speed that was suitable for that weather (my mom was also in the car with me, she wouldnt let me anyways).

Nowadays, I pretty much always have the car in Sports mode (duh) but I sometimes swap to comfort when there is e.g long highway driving, but I cant really say I have ever noticed a difference between Sport, Comfort or even Normal. Is there actually a noticeable in the driving style/performance of the difference modes or is it just an imaginary button that makes you feel better? :?
Last edited by Oscirocco on Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kev
Administrator
In: Rising Blue
With a: DSG box
Options: Leather, cruise, parking sensors, folding mirrors, flat tyre indicator
Sadly replaced in Nov '16 by a TTS!

Re: ACC - am I supposed to notice a difference?

Post by Kev »

There is definitely a difference. Try going over a speed bump on comfort and sport. Comfort is a bit softer and floaty on a motorway. If you do sport you'll find you jiggle about a lot more.
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

For reference the system is now called DCC (Dynamic Chassis Control) after ACC being adopted for Adaptive Cruise Control.

Yes, I can certainly feel a difference between the different modes with regards to the firmness of ride and the weight of the steering.

If you want to find out more information about the system, have a read of the link below;
https://www.my-gti.com/2653/volkswagen- ... d-function" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Oscirocco

Post by Oscirocco »

Cuprabob wrote:For reference the system is now called DCC (Dynamic Chassis Control) after ACC being adopted for Adaptive Cruise Control.

Yes, I can certainly feel a difference between the different modes with regards to the firmness of ride and the weight of the steering.

If you want to find out more information about the system, have a read of the link below;
https://www.my-gti.com/2653/volkswagen- ... d-function" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for the heads up, I will edit that and take a look at the link :)
Oscirocco

Post by Oscirocco »

Kev wrote:There is definitely a difference. Try going over a speed bump on comfort and sport. Comfort is a bit softer and floaty on a motorway. If you do sport you'll find you jiggle about a lot more.
Say there was something wrong with my system, how do I know? Will i get a light flashing in my face? I cant really say I've felt a difference and I go over about 5 speed bumbs to work everyday and have tried it with both sport and comfort mode...
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Re: DCC - am I supposed to notice a difference?

Post by Cuprabob »

If there is a fault, the light on the button flashes.
Billc
I drive a: R-Line
In: Ultra Violet
Options: Dynaudio, DCC, bi-xenons

Post by Billc »

" I pressed the button and it made some noises from under the car"

FYI I've never heard any noises from the system on either of the Sciroccos I've had with DCC? I can confirm though that when there is a DCC fault the button just continuously flashes. My previous car was a MY2010 (59) and that occasionally threw a fault and with a flashing button defaulted to a "rougher than Sport" ride. On investigation at the stealers they updated the DCC software and the fault never reappeared.

I do find a very noticeable difference between the 3 modes. My current R-Line has 19" wheels and having test driven one without DCC I found the ride too harsh for me but managed to find one with it and I spend most of the time in Comfort (unless I'm out having fun).
Bill in Norfants
Oscirocco

Post by Oscirocco »

Billc wrote:" I pressed the button and it made some noises from under the car"

FYI I've never heard any noises from the system on either of the Sciroccos I've had with DCC? I can confirm though that when there is a DCC fault the button just continuously flashes. My previous car was a MY2010 (59) and that occasionally threw a fault and with a flashing button defaulted to a "rougher than Sport" ride. On investigation at the stealers they updated the DCC software and the fault never reappeared.

I do find a very noticeable difference between the 3 modes. My current R-Line has 19" wheels and having test driven one without DCC I found the ride too harsh for me but managed to find one with it and I spend most of the time in Comfort (unless I'm out having fun).

I only heard this sound once and since I havent noticed a difference using the DCC, I assumed this sound (it was not a loud sound, you could barely hear it) was meant do happend, but I might have been wrong :)

I have never had the button flash or anything entering the different modes so everyhing should work then? Where is it that you notice the difference the most? I want to make a few tests seeing if there really is a difference
Billc
I drive a: R-Line
In: Ultra Violet
Options: Dynaudio, DCC, bi-xenons

Post by Billc »

Oscirocco wrote:I have never had the button flash or anything entering the different modes so everyhing should work then? Where is it that you notice the difference the most? I want to make a few tests seeing if there really is a difference
Just driving along a road that you know at normal speeds and switching from Comfort to the other modes you will feel the bumps more. It's best switched as you are driving and you will feel the difference very quickly. Sport can be quite jarring at times, switch to Comfort and everything feels smoother. Normal mode adjusts itself as you drive and may or may not feel that much different because it's adjustments spread over a wide range. It's the difference between Sport and Comfort that's most obvious.
Bill in Norfants
Bazhark14
In: Night Blue
Options: I bought the car used, car has dcc suspension, heated seats, bluetooth, satnav, dual climate control etc

Post by Bazhark14 »

Billc wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:56 am " I pressed the button and it made some noises from under the car"

Hey chief, can i ask where you went for updating the software or what systems they used? I've been having the flashing issue since i lowered my car... they work until i turn full lock or hit a hard bump etc... been trying to figure this out for months

many thanks!