Question about DRLs on the newer Mk3 Scirocco

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
RoccoR
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Indium Grey
With a: DSG box
Options: Cruise control,
power fold mirrors, LED puddle lights,
VW app. connect (Apple CarPlay),
full (blue) LED interior

Question about DRLs on the newer Mk3 Scirocco

Post by RoccoR »

Hi, I have a Scirocco R which I have had 10 months now from brand new. My car was one of the last Sciroccos built. I am extremly happy with it.

I do have question that I hope somebody might be able to help me with. The DRL on my Scirocco are within the headlights and not on the bumper. Those lights lower down within the bumper are the indicators on my car. As far as I know I cannot turn them on as DRLs as well. I certainly can't find out how to do it on the instrument panel.

Does anyone know whether or not they turn on? and if not, how can I get them to run as DRL in addition to the built DRL I currently have?

I may not have worded this well, so hope you can make sense of what I saying.

Please see photos below.

Cheers

ImageIMG_6095 by Jonathan Freeman, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6096 by Jonathan Freeman, on Flickr
Last edited by RoccoR on Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
mikejtaylor96
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Deep Black
Options: None

Re: Question about DRLs on the newer Mk3 Scirocco

Post by mikejtaylor96 »

I have seen a few R models with them on during daylight hours, have you checked this? i also have purchsed an 'r' style bodykit and mine work as both indicators and drls
Deagol
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Deep Black
With a: Manual box
Options: Parking sensors, Winter pack, Black Leather, Flat Tyre indicator, Mudflaps
Pump & Music from another dimension

Post by Deagol »

Could you take a photo of your car from the front, whilst the DRLs are illuminated, so we can see exactly what you mean please? I thought that one of the easier visual differences between the R and a standard Scirocco was the position of the DRLs. My TDi for example uses "dipped headlights" as the DRL and every R I have seen on the road has the posher LEDs lower down in the front bumper.

Mind you, if VW were using up a stock of parts with the last few cars to leave the factory, goodness knows what you might have had built into the front end of your particular vehicle.

A picture may be worth a thousand words....

D
Baptised with Aerosmith
RoccoR
full (blue) LED interior

Post by RoccoR »

Thank you mikejtaylor96 and Deagol for your replies.

I cannot find any way to switch them on as DRLs. Although they look clear from the front, they illuminate orange when they indicate. However, I cannot find any way at all to get them to illuminate as DRLs. Perhaps they are only indicators. Any further input much appreciated.

I’ve just called into my local VW dealership and the manager of parts and service has confirmed that they are indicator LEDs only and apparently £90 each.

I’m not sure whether there’s a retrofit kit out there is a indicator and also DRL. I’ll have to research it.

Cheers guys
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Rising Blue

Post by 2207 »

I’ve got an R and they only function as indicators, the DRLs are built into the headlights.
davidscirocco
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box
Options: panorama tilting roof, electric
"interlagos" alloy wheels
sport pack
RCD 510
air-contition Climatronic with dual- zone climate control, left and right side separately controllable

Post by davidscirocco »

When you turn on the lights do they turn on?
RoccoR
full (blue) LED interior

Post by RoccoR »

Thanks 2207 and davidscirocco, for your reply’s. David the indicator lights don’t turn on with the headlights. I’ve tried everything and they only indicate :(

As 2207 said the DRLs are built into the headlights. It would have been great if VW allowed for the indicator lights to have a multifunction as both an indicator light and optional DRL if you want it switched on.