Gearbox woes

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
Chippy
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box
Options: Some

Gearbox woes

Post by Chippy »

Hi all. I'm hoping someone can help me. Long story short my clutch pedal went to the floor, I managed to limp the car to VW, mistake 1, (had to start the car in gear a couple of times and rev match to change gear, probably mistake 2). they did the "initial" diag and said there was brake fluid all over the gearbox and they had to take the box off to investigate further. 6 days later (today) they call me to say that the clutch has shattered and cracked the casing! They have said it needs a replacement gearbox at nearly 4k!

I haven't got the chassis number or the gearbox code, It's either NFU, LHD, or NFN. Does anybody know if a later PGT coded one would fit and work?

Hopefully somebody can help, I don't really fancy VW having my pants down.
Paradox1
I drive a: Haven't decided yet

Re: Gearbox woes

Post by Paradox1 »

That's crazy money,

Id get the car back, Get the vin number, call another VW to find out the Gearbox code you have, buy a 2nd hand or refurbished box and a new clutch then give the job to a independent vw garage.
Paradox1
I drive a: Haven't decided yet

Post by Paradox1 »

How much did they charge you for the diagnosis & taking the GB off?
Chippy
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box
Options: Some

Post by Chippy »

I went to have a look at the damage yesterday and it is not as bad as the “advisor” made it out to be.
It’s not a new gearbox I need just a new clutch casing as one of the pressure plate springs decided to start boring it’s way to freedom.
Thankfully they have said I can source replacement parts myself and they will fit them.