Smoke from exhaust and bonnet

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
MillsyS347
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 122/125
In: Deep Black
With a: Manual box

Smoke from exhaust and bonnet

Post by MillsyS347 »

Hello,

Last year I bought a 2010 VW Scirocco 1.4 TSi (122) with 47,000 Miles on the odometer. The car now has 54,500 on the odometer, anyway, last winter I noticed white smoke coming from the exhaust and occassionaly coming from the front end (under the bonnet) but when I opened the bonnet to check where it was coming from, the smoke dissipated. I also noticed that when I had the air vents or A/C on, when in traffic or at slow speeds, there was a distinct ‘burning’ smell which was noticeable every time I went out in the car. I figured that i’ll wait till it has its major service and MOT at Inchape VW Bolton this September which should tell me any problems. Seeing as I never had this problem over the summer months (only when driving hard I could smell the burning smell,( even with vents on in the summer I couldn’t smell it at all)) I figured all is well. The dealer never picked up on anything so I knew nothing was wrong, however, recently, I have been getting white smoke coming from the exhaust (mainly when it does its loud start thing at 1400rpm for about 10s and when revving or accelerating) and the smell is back. Im intrigued as to whether other 1.4 TSi (122) owners have had this problem or anybody knows what this issue is or whether it is just me being overly cautious haha.
scruffy_
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Rising Blue
Options: RNS510, Kufatec Bluetooth Prep, Cruise, Parking Sensors, few interior mods.

Re: Smoke from exhaust and bonnet

Post by scruffy_ »

I saw a TDI140 doing this in my search for a Scirocco. On cold start I noticed white smoke/vapour from the back of the engine around the turbo area, persisted for about a minute or two then cleared up. Noticed a smell in the cabin during this time also, consistent with exhaust or possibly burning oil smell.

I figured it was one of the gaskets, either manifold to head, turbo to manifold or turbo to downpipe. Once it was warm the smoke went away, presumably once everything had expanded with the heat.

Might be a good first place to check. Going to be a bit of a pig to diagnose if it only does it on cold start mind. :(
2010 TDI 140 Rising Blue - For Sale
corneg1
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Salsa Red

Re: Smoke from exhaust and bonnet

Post by corneg1 »

sounds like an oil leak burning off on start up. If its on a car your looking at I would steer clear.