Tailgate Lock

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
mrs dj
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Deep Black
With a: Manual box

Tailgate Lock

Post by mrs dj »

I have just developed a problem with my tailgate lock. When I press the key it won't open its just making a whirring noise for a few seconds and thats it. Its the same if I try to use the button inside the car. I can get the boot to open by climbing behind the seats and releasing the latch through the slot inside the boot. (not really practical)
Any ideas anyone, is it just a replacement latch and if so is it an easy fit or a garage job ?
Deagol
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
Options: Parking sensors, Winter pack, Black Leather, Flat Tyre indicator, Mudflaps
Pump & Music from another dimension

Re: Tailgate Lock

Post by Deagol »

Have you check the two rubber "bump stops" - one either side of the tailgate? I think these are designed to be spring-loaded so they push the tailgate clear of the car bodywork when the lock is released. I have read on the forum that these can get clogged up or jam, thus stopping the tailgate from clearing the lock mechanism. Try doing a search on "bump stop" - such as:

http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... op#p115764" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If it's not this, it sounds like your electro-mechanical release is knackered and might need more than some lubrication to get it going again.

Best of luck !

D
Baptised with Aerosmith
mrs dj
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140

Re: Tailgate Lock

Post by mrs dj »

Thanks Deagol for your reply. Ive checked the bump stops and they seem ok, so I rang the local garage and he says its the tailgate latch thats knackered so its booked in for next Tuesday, I will have to keep scrambling in and out till then