Newbie buying advice!

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
clarkj
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI

Newbie buying advice!

Post by clarkj »

First post here!

So got my budget at 8k. Looking for a Scirocco GT 2.0 TSI 08/09 with under 80k on clock. Not fussy on whether its DSG or manual, I've driven an A3 with the DSG and it is impressive and would be nice for the commute but I do still like an old school manual so swings and roundabouts either way.

Car history is entirely GM and Jap stuff so new to the VAG scene. I've spotted one I like in Cardiff so going to take a look at the weekend. its the 207bhp model which I assume is the same unit in the MK6 GTI? The minimal power difference aside is either of the 198bhp or 207bhp engines considered superior to the other? things to look out for? e.g Known issues that you would not tend to look for when buying any other car? Or any other advice is much appreciated!
Snikers10
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 122/125
In: Night Blue
With a: Manual box

Re: Newbie buying advice!

Post by Snikers10 »

Hi mate similar boat to you but thinking of 1.4 160. I'm reading about the piston misfiring issues but seems to be that most don't last above 30k milage. Also is it true that 2.0 litres have timing belts whilst 1.4 use a chain?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Re: Newbie buying advice!

Post by Cuprabob »

Snikers10 wrote:Hi mate similar boat to you but thinking of 1.4 160. I'm reading about the piston misfiring issues but seems to be that most don't last above 30k milage. Also is it true that 2.0 litres have timing belts whilst 1.4 use a chain?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
The diesels have timing belts as does the 2.0 used in the R. All other 1.4 and 2.0 petrols have a cam chain.