VW parts vs other websites for parts

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
Rocco_ovo
I drive a: GTS TSI
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box

VW parts vs other websites for parts

Post by Rocco_ovo »

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone has bought parts from wesites like buycarparts.co.uk or autodoc.co.uk.
Lets all agree that going to vw for is very expensive and sometimes i just feel theyre taking a piss. Im looking for a new set or oem headlights and they charge 400 for the pair plus 250 for installation! On those websites i found the valeo brand equivelent for 219£.

Please let me know what is your take on this

Cheers

Rocco_ovo
Bops
I drive a: R-Line
In: Viper Green

Re: VW parts vs other websites for parts

Post by Bops »

Hey mate, I've bought a non genuine headlight assembly for a Polo I used to own. The part looked exactly the same but finish quality was not as good as oem. Even the fit into the car wasn't the best either.

I'm not entirely sold on oem mainly because of the cost. I will try & find a good quality non genuine first before I spend money on oem. If you can see the non genuine part before you buy & it's good quality, go for it.
Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Bops

Tapatalking
Deagol
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Deep Black
With a: Manual box
Options: Parking sensors, Winter pack, Black Leather, Flat Tyre indicator, Mudflaps
Pump & Music from another dimension

Post by Deagol »

I suppose it depends on the age of your car and how "important" the part is. Smaller stuff like lamps, wipers etc are a no brainier- I tend to get independent parts. Bigger bits would benefit from being Oem if you intend to keep the car for a long time.

I can agree about the main dealer pricing policy being (ahem) at the top end, but quite often you do get what you pay for.

Really important stuff like tyres, you cannot cut corners. I don't understand people who spend £200 on shoes but only put remould tyres on their cars...

D
Baptised with Aerosmith
Psycho Kirky
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Salsa Red
With a: Manual box
Options: MODS-
K&N Typhoon Induction kit
BCS Powervalve custom sport TBE
REVO Stage 2 remap
Airtec Stage 2 Intercooler
Forge diverter/recirculation valve
Sachs Performance clutch
'Heavy Set' silicone hoses
REVO Torque Mount Insert
Various detailing

Post by Psycho Kirky »

Deagol wrote:I suppose it depends on the age of your car and how "important" the part is. Smaller stuff like lamps, wipers etc are a no brainier- I tend to get independent parts. Bigger bits would benefit from being Oem if you intend to keep the car for a long time.

I can agree about the main dealer pricing policy being (ahem) at the top end, but quite often you do get what you pay for.

Really important stuff like tyres, you cannot cut corners. I don't understand people who spend £200 on shoes but only put remould tyres on their cars...

D
I like your point about the shoes and tyres haha. I agree totally!

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk
Rocco_ovo
I drive a: GTS TSI
In: Candy White

Post by Rocco_ovo »

Deagol wrote:I suppose it depends on the age of your car and how "important" the part is. Smaller stuff like lamps, wipers etc are a no brainier- I tend to get independent parts. Bigger bits would benefit from being Oem if you intend to keep the car for a long time.

D
Good point!
Thanks ! 8)