Accelerator pedal feels 'squashy'

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
whoelseisbored
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Salsa Red
With a: Manual box

Accelerator pedal feels 'squashy'

Post by whoelseisbored »

Hi guys,
The Scirocco 2.0TDI 2010 has been working great recently but today have got in, pushed the accelerator pedal to allow the car to start and the very top end of the movement feels wrong... almost like it takes a bit more effort than normal to put the pedal down fully. I've come to the conclusion that there's probably a stone or some other bit of crap stuck behind the hinge. We recently had our road 'resurfaced' and there's loads of those blue-tinted stones getting everywhere I look now.
Question is, is there any decent way to get down behind the hinge? Does it unclip or anything so it can come forwards?
I had a brief look earlier and saw a small stone, cleared that out but the problem is still there. It seems like it'd be a really common problem with the design of the pedal but I'm struggling to find much online about it.
Any ideas? :?
Liam :yes:
Scirocco 2.0TDi 170bhp
2010 plate
mrzed
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Candy White

Re: Accelerator pedal feels 'squashy'

Post by mrzed »

Mine does it but ive also got a fault code, indicating that the sensor/potentiometer within the pedal is at fault, so I've ordered a new pedal.
Guide on how to remove the pedal
http://jettagolf.blogspot.com/2009/04/h ... pedal.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, relatively simple job.
Get it scanned and that will tell you if it's just something trapped in the pedal or It's on the way out...

Chris
whoelseisbored

Post by whoelseisbored »

mrzed wrote:Mine does it but ive also got a fault code, indicating that the sensor/potentiometer within the pedal is at fault, so I've ordered a new pedal.
Guide on how to remove the pedal
http://jettagolf.blogspot.com/2009/04/h ... pedal.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, relatively simple job.
Get it scanned and that will tell you if it's just something trapped in the pedal or It's on the way out...

Chris
Ahh that's interesting... never really expected it to be anything that'd give a fault code. Thanks for the link, I'll have a look over that.
Did you manage to get the new pedal for a decent price?
Scirocco 2.0TDi 170bhp
2010 plate
mrzed
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Candy White

Post by mrzed »

I got a 2nd hand one for £30 from a low mileage car. Think they're around £70-£80 ish new.
whoelseisbored

Post by whoelseisbored »

mrzed wrote:I got a 2nd hand one for £30 from a low mileage car. Think they're around £70-£80 ish new.
Not too bad.

Just been back out to the car and got my phone camera down behind the pedal, lo and behold... a pea-sized blue stone wedged right in the bottom of the hinge. Managed to move it which resulted in the pedal not moving at all, but eventually managed to get it out. Pedal now moves fine.

Probably jumped the gun posting the original question but that link may come in handy at some point. Cheers anyway! :yes:
Scirocco 2.0TDi 170bhp
2010 plate
risingson
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Rising Blue

Post by risingson »

How did gravel get airborne enough to get down the back of there? Hehe

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk