Just bought a Scirocco

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
guacjack
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Deep Black
With a: Manual box

Just bought a Scirocco

Post by guacjack »

Just bought a 2014 Scirocco and so far im loving it.

Just a couple of questions. I didnt even realise parking sensors were a thing (not driven in 3 years due to job and living in a flat) but i see when i reverse the attached screen comes on.

Does that mean the parking camera / sensors are faulty or just one isn't installed?

Also the head unit it works fine with GPS and stuff but doesnt seem to work with DAB it just says No DAB Device? is this an aftermarket head unit? (its blue and all the other lights are red so though that might be it). If this is an aftermarket head unit is it worth getting it replaced?

Thanks all
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Deagol
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
Options: Parking sensors, Winter pack, Black Leather, Flat Tyre indicator, Mudflaps
Pump & Music from another dimension

Re: Just bought a Scirocco

Post by Deagol »

Hi Jack, welcome to the forum.

Forgive me if my response is not 100% helpful, you might get more replies if you change the Subject line to mention the problem with reversing sensors.

Whilst my car does not have a reversing camera, it does have sensors in the back bumper. When I select reverse, the stereo volume decreases (you can set that in the stereo menus) and I the car sounds little electronic beeps in the cabin as I reverse, getting more frantic the closer I get to an obstacle. It's really helpful and I definitely notice when I drive a car without this feature.
I have driven a car fitted with a camera - a 2017 Seat - and on reversing, the camera shows the view from around number-plate height, overlaid with a coloured grid a bit like the one on your photo attachment, I think that the bendy lines are trying to forecast when the back of the car will end up if you leave the steering wheel in its current position...

LIke you, because of the red versus blue colour scheme, I think the stereo head unit may not have come with the car when it was built at the factory. You might be able to take the identification numbers of the car (look around the windscreen and also in the spare wheel holder for a sticker) to a VW dealer who might look it up and tell you what was factory fitted. Then again, I might be completely wrong about this - I am no expert !

Hoping you have some joy with this, and that my clumsy reply tempts more knowledgeable members to give you a better response!

D
Baptised with Aerosmith
Bops
I drive a: R-Line
In: Viper Green
With a: DSG box

Post by Bops »

For what it's worth Jack, the head unit does look like an aftermarket unit. Are you able to go into the settings & get info on make/model?

Cheers,
Bops

Tapatalking
guacjack

Post by guacjack »

Yeh I do think its an aftermarket one. Shame its not the official one. I honestly didn't think to ask when I bought it. Lesson learned eh?

Reckon its worth forking out for a RNS 510 (i think this is the one it should have)?

Also, at what milage should I look to get the timing belt changed?

Thanks
Cuprabob
In: Rising Blue
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

guacjack wrote: Also, at what milage should I look to get the timing belt changed?
Recommended mileage is 140k miles, however VW UK recommend that it is changed every 5 years irrespective of mileage, along with the tensioner and water pump.

It is discussed in this thread,
http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... 33&t=21494" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
guacjack

Post by guacjack »

As its a TDI its a timing belt isnt it rather than a chain (apologies for the noob questions) ?
Cuprabob
In: Rising Blue
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

guacjack wrote:As its a TDI its a timing belt isnt it rather than a chain (apologies for the noob questions) ?
Yes, it is a belt that is fitted to the diesel models (EA189) and the petrol R (EA113).

So unless you do a crazy high mileage it will be due to be replaced on your car in 2019.
guacjack

Post by guacjack »

Well the car has done 115k mileage (previous owner was a company car) it has full service history done by JCT600 all stamped by VW.

Not sure if that affects when i should get the belt done?
Cuprabob wrote:
guacjack wrote:As its a TDI its a timing belt isnt it rather than a chain (apologies for the noob questions) ?
Yes, it is a belt that is fitted to the diesel models (EA189) and the petrol R (EA113).

So unless you do a crazy high mileage it will be due to be replaced on your car in 2019.