Camshaft adjuster when replacing the chain - 1.4 TSI

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
vladandrei51
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Night Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: REVO Stage 2
Wossner Forged Pistons
Fox Sportauspuff Quad-Exhaust
VWR VW Racing CAI
3" catless downpipe & 3" catback (custom)
S3 intercooler
De-Cat / De-Res
03C906036M Injectors
NGK BKR7EIX Spark Plugs
NGK U5002 48003 Coil Pack
Revised Timing-Chain

Camshaft adjuster when replacing the chain - 1.4 TSI

Post by vladandrei51 »

Due to reading a lot of horror stories I've decided to replace the chain and tensioner with the latest OEM parts from VW on my 09 1.4 TSI 160 hp scirocco just to be safe.

When I went to place the order I was asked if I want to replace the camshaft adjuster as well since some guy with the same engine as me did that when replacing the chain. I suck at cars when it comes to these things so I cam here for help.

My car sounds like this when starting up http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... 25&t=20760" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (first video)

I don't mind the sound, I will definitely not replace the cam adjuster if the only difference is the absence of a rattle for a second and a half on cold statups and nothing else.

I do mind, however, if not replacing it would result in an engine failure -or other costly problem and that rattle is just the beginning.

TL;DR:
- Is replacing camshaft adjuster when replacing the chain + tensioner required?
- Does a rattle from camshaft adjuster as heard in the first video in the link above can lead to some serious problems if the part is not replaced?

I'm curious about your thoughts :) Thanks
NightSky
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Opal Silver
With a: Manual box

Re: Camshaft adjuster when replacing the chain - 1.4 TSI

Post by NightSky »

up!

How much did you paid for parts and labour?