advice on purchasing new scirocco tdi - high mileagae

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
Kasimh123
I drive a: Haven't decided yet
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box

advice on purchasing new scirocco tdi - high mileagae

Post by Kasimh123 »

looking to purchase a new scirocco for myself and my budget is around 8-9k max and I have seen on autotrader etc a few 2010/2011 DSG automatic 2.0tdi for sale.

vehicle's are around 80/90,000 miles and I'm looking to keep the car for at least 2/3 years with an average mileage of 15/20,000 mixed between city driving and motorway.

I was thinking of getting the 140 BHP and remapping it to 170bhp stage 1 as there are not many 170bhp available and they are more towards the 9/10 grand mark which is slightly out my budget? I know people mention 170 bhp are better when overtaking etc on motorways and putting foot down when in higher gear on motorways etc would the 140 bhp still be able to do this when remapped?

any advice on anything to look out for when purchasing a car like this things to look out for etc?

also may sound stupid so apologies however, I've seen a lot of videos of people changing the exhaust on their 2.0 tdi's to sound slightly better with a bit more I suppose grunt obviously I'm not expecting a petrol sound nor a loud loud sound however a little noise when putting my foot down would be nice. Also will changing the exhaust reduce the mpg?

any advice from you experts would be greatly appreciated experts :) :) :D
Deagol
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Deep Black
With a: Manual box
Options: Parking sensors, Winter pack, Black Leather, Flat Tyre indicator, Mudflaps
Pump & Music from another dimension

Re: advice on purchasing new scirocco tdi - high mileagae

Post by Deagol »

Sorry you don't appear to have had any responses yet, Kasimh.

I have had my 170 tdi for 8 years and it has been very good to me. If you are looking to remap an older 140 diesel, have you got any advice from the remapping people? Any 9 year old tdi with 90,000 on the clock could be "low mileage" for a diesel and perhaps a better bet than a 140 plus a remap. Certainly putting 30,000 on over two years wouldn't make it high mileage - in my opinion.

Is your biggest challenge the budget, or the availability?

Also consider the impact on your insurance every year. I am no expert but I would expect a 140 remap to be more expensive than a stock 170.

Hopefully this reply will trigger other forum members into giving a more informed opinion! Good luck...

D
Baptised with Aerosmith
Kasimh123

Post by Kasimh123 »

Thank u for taking your time out to reply

Well tbh i wouldn't mind chipping in the extra to get the 170bhp the only thing is there abit tougher to come across that's why i was thinking of getting the 140 n remapping it

However ive made my mind up and will get the 170 bhp dsg version what things shall i look out for mate?

For me my budget is upto 8/9 k on a stretch and wana keep the car for at least 2/3 years ive seen a few 170bhp versions there just a bit difficult to come by

I know the dsg needs servicing every 40k n waterpipe and campbelt anything else i need to look out for buddy?

The average mileage is about 70/80k is that decent amount for about 2/3 years of driving averaging 15/20,000 miles a year?

Cheers
Deagol
Options: Parking sensors, Winter pack, Black Leather, Flat Tyre indicator, Mudflaps
Pump & Music from another dimension

Re: advice on purchasing new scirocco tdi - high mileage

Post by Deagol »

Hi Kasimh,

My 170 TDi is a manual gearbox, so I am not going to be much use to you about the DSG 'box. I guess it would be the usual service history checks - there MUST be a thread on this site about the DSG system generally. As long as the car has been serviced properly and at the right intervals, I don't know what else could go wrong. You've already spotted the cambelt & waterpump things, so you are back to common sense about the bodywork condition, uneven tyre wear for tracking or suspension damage, wheels being hit on the kerb (sometime the alloy wheel will buckle or crack and you get a slow air leak).

Will you be looking to buy from a garage, or a private seller? That will have an impact if you get any problems later on. Perhaps if it is a private sale, get a report done by your breakdown company (RAC etc - I'm guessing you are in the UK)

Hopefully some forum members with better knowledge will be able to jump in and share their wisdom !

Have you been on the VW Used Car website to look for these? A quick search came up with an 11 plate TDi with DSG in rising blue, 51,000 miles at £9,500 (leather seats) https://usedcars.volkswagen.co.uk/en/us ... nxbmzsybut" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; it might be a 140, not a 170.
There are others...

D
Baptised with Aerosmith
Kasimh123

Post by Kasimh123 »

Oh fair enough mate and thanks for that mate really appreciate it i seen a 2010 80,000 miles 8k i think i suppose just gotta hope i get good luck as i love the car lol
xjay1337
In: Rising Blue
Options: Hybrid VKLR, BSR Ported Head, BSR Valve Springs, BSR CP3, THS IC, Revo /Forge Intake, Oil Cooler, , 3” Eurojet TBE, AKS SS kit, Recaro PP, Schroth 4 point, Rear seat delete, R bumper, CF GT24 Bonnet, VWR Spoiler, OZ 18x9 Et43, DB9 BBK w/ 340mm discs, pMu H16, S3 rear brakes, DNX520VBT, Hertz Audio

Post by xjay1337 »

170 is stronger.
Identical engines but the turbo on the CR170 is billet cw .
click for build thread
Check out Fat Bear Photography
Stuartb
Options: Cornsilk/black leather, parking sensors, Dynaudio. Fitted RNS 510.

Post by Stuartb »

170 owner here (had it 7 years). Basic history and oil changes obviously important on any turbodiesel. Would also add that you should try to get an idea of how it's been driven to work out what state the DPF may be in. i.e. has it just had lots of short town drives or does it get some longer runs for regeneration. Do a VAG-COM scan if you can. Also have a look under the seats and check that there are no cut airbag wires - I've just discovered that ours (which was bought 1 year old from a VW dealer) has a cut wire. I'm hoping in our case it's just that someone was bypassing a troublesome connector and it's come apart again (looks like were twisted together). But if it's cut/taped you can be pretty sure there is an airbag fault and should negotiate accordingly.
Kasimh123

Post by Kasimh123 »

Stuartb

I can't thank you enough thats some very good information mate

The ones ive seen ive made sure to check for service, oil change dsg oil change cambelt and waterpump the airbag thing is a great shout

In terms of dpf etc if it's local driving mixed with motorway/long distance journeys would that still be okay?
Deft
In: Indium Grey
Options: Rear parking sensors

Post by Deft »

I suppose if it has done 15,000 to 20,000 miles a year it's more likely it has had decent runs to ensure the DPF can happily passive and active regen.
My TDI170 is 8 years old / 80,000 miles and no real issues - just normal consumable items + cam-belt / waterpump job at 5 years. I've had it main dealer serviced at 10,000 or 1 year as appropriate.
Might want to know if it has had the emissions fix (I never had mine done, I got paranoid about knock-on EGR or DPF issues). If it's had it done and still been ok after a year or so then it's probably a decent enough omen.
Cuprabob
In: Rising Blue
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

One thing to note regarding the "emissions fix" is that VW will warrant certain parts for 2 years from the date the "emissions fix" was installed.

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/legal ... call-work/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So, if you happen to buy one with the emissions update installed, it's worth bearing in mind should problems arise.

Still won't be getting mine done though...
Stuartb
Options: Cornsilk/black leather, parking sensors, Dynaudio. Fitted RNS 510.

Post by Stuartb »

Kasimh123 wrote: In terms of dpf etc if it's local driving mixed with motorway/long distance journeys would that still be okay?
That's my understanding yes. More detail info. here: https://uk-mkivs.net/topic/31023-dpf-re ... pped-cars/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's just worth casually asking how the car gets used. My wife's for example is driven back and forth to work and she would not typically sustain 38mph+ for long enough to passively regen. I make sure we use the car occasionally for longer runs at higher speeds.

Vehicle usage patterns will also have an effect on how frequently you'd like to see oil changes in the history and clutch life expectancy. All a bit inexact and I'm not trying to put you off any type of car with a particular history - just to be aware of.

Access to a VCDS/Vag-com can help to check some of this stuff - you can see soot and ash levels and of course do a faults scan. It will tell you about regenerations that have been done, but I'm not an expert on all of what it tells you. It will tell you time since the last regen and also gives stats on if there have been any emergency regens etc.