TDI 174 Fuel Consumption...

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
lewisheywood
I drive a: R-Line
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box

TDI 174 Fuel Consumption...

Post by lewisheywood »

So from a full tank (£80) of V-Power diesel (£1.40 per litre) I am finding that I will get around 450 miles. This seems really low to me for mixed driving. Yes I put my foot down quite often but this is pretty much 35MPG. I struggle to get more than 500 miles to a tank if I'm driving efficiently.

MFD displays long term average at 40MPG

What are others getting from their TDI?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Re: TDI 174 Fuel Consumption...

Post by Cuprabob »

I've got the older 170 diesel, and really struggle to get less than 50mpg. Long term average is around 55mpg although it drops a bit in the colder months. Also, I just use bog standard diesel from Sainsburys.

I'm pretty sure some owners have noted reduced economy after the emissions update, which I know your car had and mine doesn't.
Deagol
In: Deep Black
Options: Parking sensors, Winter pack, Black Leather, Flat Tyre indicator, Mudflaps
Pump & Music from another dimension

Post by Deagol »

Agreed Bob, 110,000 m on my TDi and averaging MFD readout between 55 and 60 on the ten mile commute. In this weather, high 60s. True MPG is closer to 50/55 though.

Motorway driving is a bit less.

Not had the emissions update either and on the basis of advice and experience from members like Bob, I don't intend to.

Best advice to Lewishey is to moan at VW and gather evidence from other forum members.

D
Baptised with Aerosmith
lewisheywood

Post by lewisheywood »

Thanks for the replies chaps.

Definitely heard that before in regards to the emissions update, perhaps that explains why people are seeing a very noticeable difference in fuel consumption when remapping these cars, as the emmisions update is supposedly removed when doing so.

I am going to try to be as efficient as possible from when I next fill up. I'll report back the kind of numbers I get. Tried in the past but the temptation is too great to put my foot down now and then [emoji28]

Lewis

Stuartb
In: Deep Black
Options: Cornsilk/black leather, parking sensors, Dynaudio. Fitted RNS 510.

Post by Stuartb »

I have a Golf MK6 GTD 170 and a Scirocco 170 - both get about 45 mpg in mixed use with two different drivers. At the risk of teaching you to suck eggs, it's worth playing with when you change up. Peak torque is ~2000, so revving the nuts of it is pointless and will burn fuel. The beauty of these is that they can do relaxed and fast.
lewisheywood

Post by lewisheywood »

Stuartb wrote:I have a Golf MK6 GTD 170 and a Scirocco 170 - both get about 45 mpg in mixed use with two different drivers. At the risk of teaching you to suck eggs, it's worth playing with when you change up. Peak torque is ~2000, so revving the nuts of it is pointless and will burn fuel. The beauty of these is that they can do relaxed and fast.
I have the DSG and if I leave it in drive (not the best way to get max fuel economy I know) then the shifts points as I'm sure you know are low. Changing gear at the correct rpm is not the issue for me. I'm leaning towards the emissions update as there is a clear pattern of those who have it vs those who don't when it comes to MPG.

lewisheywood

Post by lewisheywood »

So a bit of an update as promised. From the top half of the tank, I have managed to get 350 miles. This was in Drive, being extremely light footed to the extent i ended up annoying a few people out of junctions etc. I'd imagine I can get a bit more than that, shifting myself, avoiding the lugging and over fueling of the engine when it shifts too soon whilst accelerating.

With this in mind (knowing the bottom half of the dial measures less than the top half) I'm aiming for circa 550 miles. Got a long drive down to Cornwall today so will keep this updated over the next week.