Aftermarket Headunit

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
lewisheywood
I drive a: R-Line
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box

Aftermarket Headunit

Post by lewisheywood »

So I am interested in upgrading to something like this:

http://xtrons.co.uk/pb88unvp-android-8- ... skoda.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

However it states that this will fit a Scirocco MK3 2008 - 2011. I contacted the supplier to ask why it was not compatible for my 63 plate and didn't really get a proper answer as their English was poor. From what I understood, the unit requires a different canbus adapter that they did not stock.

Basically I was wondering if anyone knew which adapter I would need? And if I would run into any other issues with this unit? Or even if anyone can recommend a better alternative?.

Thanks in advance, Lewis

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
3dee
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Deep Black

Re: Aftermarket Headunit

Post by 3dee »

What do you mean with 63 plate?

What year is your car, is it a facelift? What radio do you have right now?
lewisheywood

Post by lewisheywood »

63 plate means 2013/14 in the UK

Pre facelift

current radio is RNS 310

3dee

Post by 3dee »

Then you can change the head unit just 1:1

But you should think about the RCD330 with Anroid Auto and Apple Carplay too, this is what I would buy now.

I have a China Radio, and its Android does not run as smooth as you would expect it from a new smartphone, it's pretty slow and does look like a foreign matter.. That's my opinion after more than one year having a china rns ;)
mrzed
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
With a: Manual box

Post by mrzed »

I have an Xtrons one arriving today, the 9" screen version, having previously had one fitted in my last car, they're great for the money as long as you get Android 7.1 and up (Ps, get it from ebay, far cheaper than Xtrons direct)
lewisheywood

Post by lewisheywood »

mrzed wrote:I have an Xtrons one arriving today, the 9" screen version, having previously had one fitted in my last car, they're great for the money as long as you get Android 7.1 and up (Ps, get it from ebay, far cheaper than Xtrons direct)
Don't suppose you've got a link?

And did you have to buy a wiring adapter for it?

Thanks, Lewis

3dee

Post by 3dee »

lewisheywood wrote:
mrzed wrote:I have an Xtrons one arriving today, the 9" screen version, having previously had one fitted in my last car, they're great for the money as long as you get Android 7.1 and up (Ps, get it from ebay, far cheaper than Xtrons direct)

Thanks, Lewis

I`m pretty sure he means this one: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XTRONS-PB88U ... 2864431437" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Car stereos that are made for a specific brand (especially the popular VW head units) usually have compatible can bus adapter.

So does this one, if you scroll down on the eBay product description you can see the back of the unit with all the wires. The can bus decoder is number 2 on that picture, number 1 is the quad lock plug of your car.

If you have an original reverse camera, you will also need a "RGB to RCA converter". Sometime you will also find it under "RGB to CVBS converter".
lewisheywood

Post by lewisheywood »

That is the 8 inch version I think. I found a 9 inch version however it was more expensive than the xtrons website.

mrzed
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI

Post by mrzed »

3dee wrote:
lewisheywood wrote:

Thanks, Lewis

I`m pretty sure he means this one: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XTRONS-PB88U ... 2864431437" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Car stereos that are made for a specific brand (especially the popular VW head units) usually have compatible can bus adapter.

So does this one, if you scroll down on the eBay product description you can see the back of the unit with all the wires. The can bus decoder is number 2 on that picture, number 1 is the quad lock plug of your car.

If you have an original reverse camera, you will also need a "RGB to RCA converter". Sometime you will also find it under "RGB to CVBS converter".

Nope. this is the one I've got
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XTRONS-9-And ... 2749.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They're just plug and play
lewisheywood

Post by lewisheywood »

What year is your Scirocco?

lewisheywood

Post by lewisheywood »

mrzed wrote:
3dee wrote:
lewisheywood wrote:Don't suppose you've got a link?

Thanks, Lewis

Nope. this is the one I've got
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XTRONS-9-And ... 2749.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They're just plug and play
What year is your Scirocco ?

toplad
I drive a: Scirocco R

Post by toplad »

Why get a 315 off eBay.

It's oem and fully integrated.

I'm not sure on sound quality of the cheaper stuff tbh,
MrTmint

Post by MrTmint »

I have the Pioneer SPH DA120 in my lupo GTI and it's been faultless if you want to move away from OEM they also do a newer version just released with DAB both are Apple/Android compatible and offer better quality sound over a OEM unit.

If I manage to find a Scirocco the Pioneer SPH DA120 will be moved into it or I will get the DAB version. I also like the fact that i can balance the speakers for me at the touch of a button or if i have passengers.