Handbrake switch

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
mooney88
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Night Blue
With a: Manual box

Handbrake switch

Post by mooney88 »

Hi All,

i got a new stereo recently and I need to run a cable from the new head unit to the handbrake switch. I need to do android auto.

If its on the handbrake how do i get to it?
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Re: Handbrake switch

Post by Cuprabob »

I assume the purpose of this connection is so the video playback only works when the car is stopped and the handbrake is on. Personally I wouldn't bother with the hassle of running the wire to the handbrake switch and just connect it to ground or +12V, whichever allows the video to play.
mooney88

Post by mooney88 »

Indeed! I have read a few reviews and apparently that doesnt work. To get it to work you need to put the handbrake on then off so its a off, on ,off activation
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

If that's the case, then just wire it up to a simple single pole double throw (SPDT) push switch and locate it in one of the blanks in the console in front of the gearstick.

Although slightly expensive, you can get matching switches from the link below;
http://www.carstyle4you.com/#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you would prefer to utilise the handbrake switch then it is located at the rear of the handbrake. If you do a search you should be able to find a tutorial on how to remove console and gaiter to gain access.
mooney88

Post by mooney88 »

I managed to get it sorted in the weekend. I started on the armrest which was the wrong idea! haha! i then found a thread on here regarding changing a cup holder and still couldnt get it out then I found a screw in the lowest cup holder covered with the rubber haha! In the end i didnt even need to touch the arm rest. im trying to decide know where to run the hdmi/lightning/microusb cables. I could replace the cup holder but another thing which i thought would look better is replace the media center in the arm rest. Does anyone do a box compartment to replace the media centre?!