Busted Tensioner - Evidence Required Please

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
Stubear
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Deep Black
With a: DSG box
Options: Panoramic sunroof

Busted Tensioner - Evidence Required Please

Post by Stubear »

They say ignorance is bliss but not in my case. Unfortunately I came to the party too late to know there is a problem with VW timing chain tensioners....

Mine failed on my 2010 2.0 TSi back in November and I've been at loggerheads with VW ever since.

The car has been maintained at the dealership in Guildford since I bought it (in Southampton) in 2013 but at no time did they mention it could be an issue or I'd have had it replaced. The timing mechanism has a service interval of 120,000 yet mine has gone at 45,000 - absolutely shocking.

Now I'm looking at a 7K bill for a new engine and I'm not sure it's even worth it :grumpy:

I've approached citizens advice and the motor ombudsman and I may have a case under the sale of goods act but only if I can show that the dealership I bought it from were aware of the problem before January 2013.

I've seen evidence of other makes and models across the VAG group and I even have a copy of the TSB that was issued in the US (I believe) in 2012. It even looks like there's an admission of guilt in this German article (use google translate):
http://www.autobild.de/artikel/vw-tsi-m ... 93757.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm hoping to round up some evidence of other similar failures in the UK at least - same spec engine would be ideal - so would appreciate any info anyone has, particularly if they know of it happening out of Peter Cooper VW in Southampton.

Your help would be very much appreciated.
Zanic L3
Options: Stage 2, Catless DP, Milltek catback.

Re: Busted Tensioner - Evidence Required Please

Post by Zanic L3 »

Damn that really heavy. My condolences.

I'm looking to get my inlet manifold replaced next week... As I also have (2009) 2.0 TSI I'm getting worried, did you notice anything before that happened?

I'm going to ask VW to also check mine and replace if needed, anyone has what I should ask for (checking the timing chain tensioners and replacing it all?) and anyone got an idea how much it costs?

Sorry to hijack your thread, Goodluck mate
Psycho Kirky
In: Salsa Red
With a: Manual box
Options: MODS-
K&N Typhoon Induction kit
BCS Powervalve custom sport TBE
REVO Stage 2 remap
Airtec Stage 2 Intercooler
Forge diverter/recirculation valve
Sachs Performance clutch
'Heavy Set' silicone hoses
REVO Torque Mount Insert
Various detailing

Post by Psycho Kirky »

The tensioner is a known fault yet VW refuse to acknowledge it as a major problem or a recall worthy issue. And if the car is out of warranty they will try their hardest to not honour anything.

This happened to me in August 2016, so I had to diagnose and fix it with a friend over a period of weekends and some weekdays for around 6 weeks until it was finished. Sort of expensive but not nearly as expensive as it could of been if a garage had done the work.

It caused 4 bent inlet valves but could have been alot worse yet it was repairable luckily.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk
Stubear

Post by Stubear »

Hi Zanic,

The only thing I noticed before it went was a mis-fire when driving under load, but that happened only once, about a month before it went. Evidence elsewhere suggests it can go without warning.
If I had known about hte issue beforehand I'd have definitely got the tensioner changed. Get them to check the amount of stretch in the chains too - make sure it's within spec...
The Golf guys have a lengthy thread running:
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47128" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck,

S.
xjay1337
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
Options: Hybrid VKLR, BSR Ported Head, BSR Valve Springs, BSR CP3, THS IC, Revo /Forge Intake, Oil Cooler, , 3” Eurojet TBE, AKS SS kit, Recaro PP, Schroth 4 point, Rear seat delete, R bumper, CF GT24 Bonnet, VWR Spoiler, OZ 18x9 Et43, DB9 BBK w/ 340mm discs, pMu H16, S3 rear brakes, DNX520VBT, Hertz Audio

Post by xjay1337 »

You can buy a replacement engine from Ebay for around £1500 and then around £750 labour tops to swap it all over.
click for build thread
Check out Fat Bear Photography
Dan_4d
In: Candy White

Post by Dan_4d »

I've just heard back from the garage today about the same issue. My 2009 2.0GT (TSi) also needs a new engine quoted at 7k. Its only achieved a mileage of 80k, I'm gutted! I can't see any other option than doing as xjay1337 suggests in my case.
racetech
In: Candy White
Options: panoramic roof
hd lights
reverse sensors
folding mirrors
puddle lights

Post by racetech »

Dan_4d wrote:I've just heard back from the garage today about the same issue. My 2009 2.0GT (TSi) also needs a new engine quoted at 7k. Its only achieved a mileage of 80k, I'm gutted! I can't see any other option than doing as xjay1337 suggests in my case.
not unless you know a decent engine builder,,,i lunched an engine on my old scirocco,,(balance shaft bearing housing failure),,took me around 12 hours to change the engine on my own
Stubear

Post by Stubear »

After much running around and some ill-founded advice from CAB, I've decided to go down the route of having the engine re-built by an AA approved garage for around £2K.

To anyone in the same boat - don't waste time and money chasing VW if your warranty is up - they won't budge and you're unlikely to get anywhere under SOGA as the onus is on you to prove negligence on their part....
Sindre
In: Rising Blue

Post by Sindre »

The tensioner from from 09 to about summer 12 is prone to failure on all 2.0tsi. Take a look at Briskskoda many 2.0ts tensioner failures. You can get a updated one and every one with the first type tensioner should change to the updated on.
Psycho Kirky
In: Salsa Red
Options: MODS-
K&N Typhoon Induction kit
BCS Powervalve custom sport TBE
REVO Stage 2 remap
Airtec Stage 2 Intercooler
Forge diverter/recirculation valve
Sachs Performance clutch
'Heavy Set' silicone hoses
REVO Torque Mount Insert
Various detailing

Post by Psycho Kirky »

The original tensioner is a ticking time bomb! VW will never accept liability outside of warranty, bastards.

I hope you manage to come up with a good quality yet inexpensive solution!

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk