Pad wear - front/rear

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
Billc
I drive a: R-Line
In: Ultra Violet
With a: DSG box
Options: Dynaudio, DCC, bi-xenons

Pad wear - front/rear

Post by Billc »

My current Scirocco seems to be (on VW's measurements) wearing the rear brake pads quicker than the fronts which seems counter-intuitive to me. It's now at 11,000 miles and the pads are Front: 11mm Rear: 9mm . I'm no stranger to "magic" brake pad readings from VW Techs, my last Roc's pads seemed to get thicker at each service but these intrigued me because it seems the wrong way round?

Has anyone else found their rears wearing quicker or is it just me or VW's myopic techs? I'm definitely not a heavy braker (unless necessary) but the previous owner did the first 9,000 miles and heaven knows how they drove.

Thoughts?
Bill in Norfants
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Re: Pad wear - front/rear

Post by Cuprabob »

There is less friction material on the rears compared to the front to start with. If your measurements are accurate it looks to me that your pads are like new. If my memory serves me right fronts have 12mm and rears 10mm when new. Nothing to worry about IMO.
Billc
I drive a: R-Line
In: Ultra Violet
With a: DSG box
Options: Dynaudio, DCC, bi-xenons

Re: Pad wear - front/rear

Post by Billc »

Ahhhhhhhhhh! After 7 years of Roccing you'd think I'd know that the rear pads are thinner to start with - but I didn't. Thanks very much.
Bill in Norfants