Not sure which tires

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
Shorty
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box

Not sure which tires

Post by Shorty »

Hey everyone
I’ve had my scirocco for a year now it was the best decision I ever made. Always been with vws from a 20 yr old polo 25yr old golf gti mk3 then later a mk2
I have a Vw Scirocco blue rising blue motion 2.0 TDi

I had never had a new car until now I always brought part worms to tootle around town in or knew the importantce off tyres now I am trying to learn more and more now I live and work 100miles apart and travel down to Work and come home at weekends I want safe tyres good in wet the car came with brand new tires and now defo need changing
I went on black circles and found Dunlop and Michelin tyres were the best for 235/45r17 for noise due and handling anyway on to my questoon

I do understand that their is a cost difference between the 225 and 235 so if it makes no difference
I’m happy to stick with 225s I just wanted to have what was recommended as I didn’t know much

So I’m looking for two new front tires. The tires I have on all four corners are 225/45r17 I know what that all means . Width rim size, size of alloy depth that all makes sence
But when I look for new tyres by ref plate I’m told to buy 235/45r17 not 225 now I know this is only a difference
Of 10 mill
My questions are does it really make that much difference to the drive
My back two are 225s and I know as long as the front two are the same and the back two are the same it’s ok but I would be doing that to eventually change the back two to 235 so they are all the same and what’s recommended
I also don’t want to buy them if they are likely to catch when handling

Can you please give me some advice on what you have on your cars so I can hear how you find them or what you recommend

Thanks for your time and help in advance

Claire
JeffW
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Deep Black
Options: 260bhp Stage 1 remap, EBC brake upgrade
H&R ARBs, WALK, KW lowering springs,
K&N intake, sports cat down pipe

Re: Not sure which tires

Post by JeffW »

Morning Claire

Welcome to the forum :-)

I did a bit of research myself before getting new tyres. I've got R17 rims too (the Spa type), which are 8.5J wide (8.5 inches wide to the inside of the beads. About 9.5 if you measure to the oustide edges).

What I found was that the manufacturer's recommended size was 235, but that 225 to 255 were within the acceptable range for the 8.5J rim. Mine had 225 when I bought it, but I've replaced with 235, just to be on the manufacturer's recommended. I doubt it'll make much difference to performance, but I've heard of insurer's being 'difficult' if you have a non-recommended tyre size (counts as a modification) but I think that's more for undeclared stretched tyres.

Have a look at http://www.tyresizecalculator.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I noticed a big difference when I changed my tyres, but that's because it had 3 different types and two different load ratings when I bought it (why would anyone do that to a Scirocco?). I've gone for good road tyres: Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3. I've also heard good things about Michelin Pilot Sport, but there's a lot of options out there. The Eagles were the best price for perfomance when I chose them.

Have a look at http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Very thorough reviews.

I think there's a discount for tyres somewhere on this forum, I went through http://www.cartyres.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to get the best price.

Hope that helps

Jeff
Shorty

Post by Shorty »

Thank you Jeff !! it certainly does
I was concerned about insurance too as I start to read more and more
And I gave too also hear good things about Goodyear eagle
I’m not too sure how I measure to see what rims i have
Do I do this with the tire off

thank you for your help
JeffW

Post by JeffW »

Oops, my rims are 8J. the 8.5s were on a different car.

Ideally, you measure them with the tyres off, but I found a diagram online with gave the declared width of 8J with the approximate outside width, so I measured them in situ.

My rims (the Spas) are an unusual type, but fitted as standard. If your rims have never been changed, then the label in the fuel cap will show the correct tyre size. I just had a look at the label in my fuel cap, it lists 225 or 235 as a manufacturer recommended size, but I know the labels have various versions. All the websites I looked at said 235.

I'd suggest you have a look through the forum at other wheels to be sure if yours are standard rims.

Another website I used: http://www.wheel-size.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; lists standard wheels and tyres for various manufacturers, models and years.

All the best
Shorty

Post by Shorty »

Thank Jeff will do
blz-8027
In: Night Blue
With a: DSG box

Post by blz-8027 »

Shorty wrote: I’m not too sure how I measure to see what rims i have
Easiest and best way is to take a wheel off and look at what is stamped on the inside ,this will give you all the info you need
Shorty

Post by Shorty »

thank you blz, i will ask they change them - thanks!!
JeffW

Post by JeffW »

Oh yeah :rolleyes: forgot that. Doh!
risingson
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160

Post by risingson »

I'm very happy with my Goodyear eagle's (from memory F1 asy2, but I think they now do asy3). I did try Conti sport contact 5 before but I seem to recall those wearing more quickly.

I wish I'd swapped the fronts with the backs more regularly though as still have the original Bridgestone re05's the car shipped with in '09. Don't do much mileage so they're obstinately stuck at about 4-5mm of wear. And make that slight droning noise you get due to the herringbone wear pattern as they age.
At what point do these become unsafe - I've been too tight to replace them, but I suppose I should swap my fronts over while they're still above 4mm!

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk
Last edited by risingson on Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skyblues11
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: cruise control, front foglight, Multi.f.steering wheel,
tyre indicator

Post by skyblues11 »

Also consider winter or all seasons tyres. I have full winters on 4 corners for 2 years ( not changing them over in the summer) on original rims and had no problems whatsoever. When it snowed recently in the Midlands, I had no issues about being stuck.
racetech
Options: panoramic roof
hd lights
reverse sensors
folding mirrors
puddle lights

Post by racetech »

hi,,, I have tried all sorts on mine,,225/40/18 on the front 235/40/18 on the rear,,if anything just to keep wear rate down.
but have gone to manufacturers recommendation ,also fun at 32 psi all round,,
falken 912 ok budget tyre,,,not great grip in the wet
falken 452 better,,
Pirelli zero,,awesome when bedded in,,,kind of loses grip and starts to understeer after 8000 miles
best by far,michelin sport contact 3,,,,last 16000,,and good right up to the end of life.
R tec in st.albans are pretty good for prices,,,hope this is of some help,,,paul
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

racetech wrote: best by far,michelin sport contact 3,,,,last 16000,,and good right up to the end of life.
R tec in st.albans are pretty good for prices,,,hope this is of some help,,,paul
Sport Contact 3 are made by Continental. Maybe you mean Michelin Pilot Sport 3 (PS3)
racetech
Options: panoramic roof
hd lights
reverse sensors
folding mirrors
puddle lights

Post by racetech »

sorry,, my bad,,Michelin pilot sport 3 ,,,,,pricey but worth it ,,,
Delberthot
I drive a: Scirocco R
Options: Cruise Control, Folding Mirrors

Post by Delberthot »

I hit the king of all potholes on Tuesday night and ended up with a huge bulge in the sidewall of my nearside front tyre.

The ones I shortlisted based on review (I looked at tyrereviews.co.uk) were the Avon ZZ5 as they came in well ahead of the factory fitted Pirelli PZeros

I spoke with the guys who usually fit my tyres and they recommeded the Falken Azenis FK510 - a few of them drive Golf Rs and they use them so I went with those and they were cheaper than anyone else I could find online at £100 per tyre (I have 235/35 19s on my car)

I won't be able to try them out properly until it gets a bit warmer but they seem a bit quieter than the Pirellis.

My last car was a 2014 Skoda Rapid and I had Goodyear Efficientgrip performance XL tyres fitted and the grip was phenomenal despite being 15" alloys with a 65 profile.