Installing a Catback myself (DIY) ?

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
Zanic L3
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Deep Black
With a: DSG box
Options: Stage 2, Catless DP, Milltek catback.

Installing a Catback myself (DIY) ?

Post by Zanic L3 »

Looking to get a catback exhaust very soon, not to sure about which one yet but probably any of these three: Miltek, Powervalve (aka BCS) or Cobra. (Feel free to give recommendations)

The main question I'm wondering is, is it possible to do it at home with home tools (DIY tools), car jacks (without having it to bring to a garage or does it need a lift and pay for labor hours) and... some very basic knowledge.
Does the stock exhaust comes off pretty easy after unscrewing the gaskets, do I need to cut parts of the stock exhaust in order to fix the custom on it or not?

Car in question is a 2.0 TSI DSG 2009
Miltek: http://millteksport.com/exhaust.product ... iantid=292" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Powervalve (CBS): https://www.powervalve.co.uk/products/v ... ystem.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cobra: http://cobrasport.com/index.php/cobra-s ... -2049.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I found a good picture of the undercarriage of the car here before, but this is a custom exhaust
mattyfitz
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box

Re: Installing a Catback myself (DIY) ?

Post by mattyfitz »

I think its a home DIY, I did mine in a couple of hours on the floor. Just need a socket set and some screw drivers plus some wd40 for the existing connecting sleeve.

I found it easier to jack up one side fully rather than just the back.
scottwilliams97
Options: APR Stage 1, Milltek non-resonated catback and decat system, H&R Springs, Full Black leather, Upgraded Dynaudio speakers, Panoramic sunroof, Rear parking sensors.

Post by scottwilliams97 »

Easy enough to do at home, give yourself a fair amount of time as everything was seized when i did mine; it took ages.

I also second jacking up the car on one side, much easier.
Zanic L3

Post by Zanic L3 »

So.. I should use 2 car jacks and just jack one side up, but for what reason does it makes it easier? Can I use the standard car jack that came with the Scirocco (and one from my mates his Renault) or does that not clear enough space?

I was thinking about buying some of these. " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also which of the three should I look into purchasing?
scottwilliams97
Options: APR Stage 1, Milltek non-resonated catback and decat system, H&R Springs, Full Black leather, Upgraded Dynaudio speakers, Panoramic sunroof, Rear parking sensors.

Zanic L3 wrote:So.. I should use 2 car jacks and just jack one side up, but for what reason does it makes it easier? Can I use the standard car jack that came with the Scirocco (and one from my mates his Renault) or does that not clear enough space?

I was thinking about buying some of these. " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also which of the three should I look into purchasing?

Don't use the jack that came with the car, its utterly shit, do yourself a favour and buy a low profile trolley jack and a decent set of axle stands. Better to be safe than sorry. Jacking the car up on one side allows you to get more height, meaning its easier to swap pipes.
As for choice they are all really good - I myself have the miltek non res and absolutely love it, Its quiet when you want it to be but also sounds immense during spirited driving (not like a boy racer/chav/ fart can). Can't fault my choice - I've had it for around a year, best mod I've done by far.

I suggest listening to the sound of each one on youtube and go from there.
Zanic L3

Post by Zanic L3 »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Came across this miltek on a Leon Cupra and it sounds so sick especially the snorting.. reminds me a lot of a 5cyl rs3. :D

Does the miltek on the scirocco sound a little bit like this? (the snorting) I've looked into vids of the rocco milteks but they (sadly?) aren't on that same snorting level :(. Which other exhaust comes a little bit more to this or is just mostly based on the car itself

Also are the DSG pops noticeably different/louder on a miltek?
scottwilliams97

Honestly that sounds very very similar to my car (expect that has dsg pops, my car is a manual)

I really enjoy the system, I highly suggest it! The cobra system also sounds very good!
Zanic L3

Post by Zanic L3 »

scottwilliams97 wrote:Honestly that sounds very very similar to my car (expect that has dsg pops, my car is a manual)

I really enjoy the system, I highly suggest it! The cobra system also sounds very good!
Is there no difference between the build quality on miltek (given that its a more known company) vs Cobra
scottwilliams97

No idea, from what I've heard they're all good! Which one you leaning towards ?
Zanic L3

Post by Zanic L3 »

scottwilliams97 wrote:No idea, from what I've heard they're all good! Which one you leaning towards ?
Miltek.
scottwilliams97

Zanic L3 wrote:
scottwilliams97 wrote:No idea, from what I've heard they're all good! Which one you leaning towards ?
Miltek.

Do it :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: