DSG lurching in traffic

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
ethan_rose
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Indium Grey
With a: DSG box
Options: Leather/Heated Seats
19" Lugano wheels
MFSW buttons for Mk6 wheel
RCD330+ CarPlay head unit

DSG lurching in traffic

Post by ethan_rose »

Hi guys,

Just wondering what the normal behaviour of the 6-speed DSG at low speed/crawling. I've had my 2.0 TSI Scirocco (MY09) for a month of so now and I've noticed when I've been in the car a while and everything is up to temperature the DSG gets 'lurch-y' at low speeds. Makes me look like a crappy manual driver hopping along every time I move forward and I'm sure it's not good for the rest of the car when it lurches/slams forward.

Anyone had a similar experience? I'm assuming it's worn clutch packs as I had someone check the DSG fluid level and consistency and they reported back normal.

I've tried the 'Basic Setting' procedue here but it didn't really seem to make any difference http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.ph ... ic_Setting
ethan_rose
19" Lugano wheels

Re: DSG lurching in traffic

Post by ethan_rose »

One thing I'll add is, the car has only done 50000km/31000miles so seems a bit low to be showing significant wear.
xjay1337
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Hybrid VKLR, BSR Ported Head, BSR Valve Springs, BSR CP3, THS IC, Revo /Forge Intake, Oil Cooler, , 3” Eurojet TBE, AKS SS kit, Recaro PP, Schroth 4 point, Rear seat delete, R bumper, CF GT24 Bonnet, VWR Spoiler, OZ 18x9 Et43, DB9 BBK w/ 340mm discs, pMu H16, S3 rear brakes, DNX520VBT, Hertz Audio

Post by xjay1337 »

DSG oil service with genuine oil and filter.
DSG adaption.

Should be OK.
click for build thread
Check out Fat Bear Photography
Zanic L3
In: Deep Black
Options: Stage 2, Catless DP, Milltek catback.

Post by Zanic L3 »

Weird, I have the same model (65k kms) and my doesn't jerk or anything it's all smooth.

Are u sure u are not pressing 100% brake and then releasing it fully, that might feel the car a bit 'lurch-y'
a4gee
In: Candy White
Options: Winter pack,Parking sensors,Dynaudio,Tyre indicator,Pano roof,GT steering wheel badge,VW Mats, rubber/premium,Headlight and led upgrade interior/exterior,Metal pedals inc foot rest,HK sills,R lights,Cup holder for rear,Concealed ashtray,Auto coming home headlights.

Post by a4gee »

xjay1337 wrote:DSG oil service with genuine oil and filter.
DSG adaption.

Should be OK.
What is DSG adaption? - do you mean, you need to get used to how it works?
Cuprabob
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

a4gee wrote:
xjay1337 wrote:DSG oil service with genuine oil and filter.
DSG adaption.

Should be OK.
What is DSG adaption? - do you mean, you need to get used to how it works?
It's a procedure using VCDS.

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.ph ... ic_Setting" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ethan_rose
19" Lugano wheels

Post by ethan_rose »

Hi guys,

Got maybe the worst possible news today, dealership replicated my symptoms after two different attempts and connected their diagnostics to find that the mechatronic unit is out of spec and should be replaced.

Will update here once i've spoken to the original seller (also another dealership so New Zealand Consumer Guarantees Act applies) and have some sort of way forward.
ethan_rose
19" Lugano wheels

Post by ethan_rose »

For anyone interested the dealership sent me the full diagnostic report which apparently shows the fault.

I've attached the section for the mechatronic test here, and if I understand correctly 36_1 > 38_4 are out of spec however someone familiar with these reports might be able to tell me more?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
xjay1337
Options: Hybrid VKLR, BSR Ported Head, BSR Valve Springs, BSR CP3, THS IC, Revo /Forge Intake, Oil Cooler, , 3” Eurojet TBE, AKS SS kit, Recaro PP, Schroth 4 point, Rear seat delete, R bumper, CF GT24 Bonnet, VWR Spoiler, OZ 18x9 Et43, DB9 BBK w/ 340mm discs, pMu H16, S3 rear brakes, DNX520VBT, Hertz Audio

Post by xjay1337 »

As I said try a DSG adaption.....
click for build thread
Check out Fat Bear Photography
ethan_rose
19" Lugano wheels

Post by ethan_rose »

xjay1337 wrote:As I said try a DSG adaption.....
Hi xjay,

I did try an adaption twice but it didn't make any difference to the rough shifting/lurching when hot. The dealer has confirmed it's not working properly so now back with the seller while they attempt to confirm it's faulty (which i've supplied the attached evidence for).

They made some offhand comments about hoping Volkswagen pay for it as they believe it should be covered under recall so hopefully they don't keep me waiting around getting answers to all the questions i've already supplied them answers for. :rolleyes:
ethan_rose
19" Lugano wheels

Post by ethan_rose »

Dealer has come back to say that it needs the clutch pack replaced and possibly the mechatronics unit if that doesn't solve the problem. Does that sound like a reasonable order of repairs?

I'm concerned that replacing the clutch could mask a problem with the mechatronics unit which I'd just have to repair later as I've already been told by a different dealer that the mechatronics unit should be replaced.
blower
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Reflex Silver

Post by blower »

Rough shifting and delayed shifting (resulting in a lurch), particularly when hot, is usually the clutch packs.

What tends to happen is debris gets caught between the plates and/or the grooved sections of the clutch friction material. This makes the plates stick and not disengage properly.
Sometimes all that's needed is a DSG/Automatic oil flush, and new oil & filter - but this is something a dealer will never do as its not in their repair procedures. They will just replace the clutch pack.

I wouldn't worry about the clutch masking a mech problem - if the clutch pack is replaced and it drives smoothly after, then the problem was nothing to do with the mech.
ethan_rose
19" Lugano wheels

Post by ethan_rose »

Ok so the wrap-up is,

The dealer replaced the clutch pack, 4L of oil and the filter and has pronounced the problem solved. The seller then took it to another branch of that same dealer (the one who originally told me the mechatronic unit was bust) and they say it's fine too.

While the problem does appear to be fixed, (no low speed juddering/hesitation and then jumping forward) it does still jerk from standstill almost every time I pull away on a flat and it does still hesitate a bit between 3rd and 4rd gear under load.
Are these just normal DQ250 DSG traits? RE: the 'jerk' It feels similar to if the hill hold is engaged and then the brakes are letting go abruptly but if I look out the window I'm rolling backwards or forwards when this happens so not to do with brakes.

At this point I'm inclined to put it to rest and just live with the car but thought I would see what you guys here think!
Roy_01
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Sumatra

Post by Roy_01 »

No thats not normal and sound the mechatronic unit is not 100%.
Could be the solenoïd or valve for this gear shift.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ethan_rose
19" Lugano wheels

Post by ethan_rose »

Roy_01 wrote:No thats not normal and sound the mechatronic unit is not 100%.
Could be the solenoïd or valve for this gear shift.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sure enough, I took two MK6 GTIs (same engine and transmission) for a drive today to convince myself that I’m imagining it and neither of them have the jerk. :cry:
ethan_rose
19" Lugano wheels

Post by ethan_rose »

Took the car for a drive with the technician today and he noticed the issue more or less immediately. Recommendation has been made to replace the mechatronic unit and once the seller agrees the problem should finally be sorted.

Thanks blower and Roy_01 for your input. Fingers crossed my next update is one to say it's all fixed!
Zanic L3

Post by Zanic L3 »

So what exactly is the problem?
ethan_rose
19" Lugano wheels

Post by ethan_rose »

Zanic L3 wrote:So what exactly is the problem?
Car jerking on take off and generally just really rough clutch control, technician recommended mechatronics unit be replaced.

Once complete the transmission will have had both the clutch assembly and the mechatronics unit replaced as well as a full DSG service.
ethan_rose
19" Lugano wheels

FIXED: DSG lurching in traffic

Post by ethan_rose »

Excellent news!

The mechatronic unit has been replaced (no cost to me) and the transmission is working exactly as expected now. Changes are smooth and at the appropriate times, with no lurching or juddering to be detected.

Car feels like a completely different beast now.
Zanic L3

Re: FIXED: DSG lurching in traffic

Post by Zanic L3 »

ethan_rose wrote:Excellent news!

The mechatronic unit has been replaced (no cost to me) and the transmission is working exactly as expected now. Changes are smooth and at the appropriate times, with no lurching or juddering to be detected.

Car feels like a completely different beast now.
:)