Centre Hub Caps

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
SciroccoCW
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 122/125
In: Oryx White
With a: Manual box
Options: 2015MY, Bi-Xenon, 18" Interlagos, Start/Stop, Bluetooth, Sat Nav, Panoramic Roof, Parking Sensors, Heated Seats, Interior LED's, Projector Puddle Lights, Mudflaps, Winter Pack, Rubber Mats, Stainless Steel Pedals, VCDS Tweaks

Centre Hub Caps

Post by SciroccoCW »

So one of my centre hub caps has gone missing... doesn't appear to be any marks on the wheel from it being removed so perhaps it fell out..

Anyway, I need a new one and the local VW garage wants £11.50 per cap. :crazy:

Anyone bought the cheaper non OEM on ebay? Or should I get the OEM to avoid cheap tat? I have found an OEM for £9.85..
Deagol
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Deep Black
Options: Parking sensors, Winter pack, Black Leather, Flat Tyre indicator, Mudflaps
Pump & Music from another dimension

Re: Centre Hub Caps

Post by Deagol »

When my car was within the warranty period, I had all the centre caps replaced as they were getting white "snail tracks" appear. This happened on my previous VWs too. So I had OEM replacements (thank you VW, no complaint about the speed of agreement to my claim)

BUT

the replacements also got the same snail tracks all over them and outside the warranty period so I have yet to replace them.

The cost of more OEMs has put me off doing this, as well as the prospect that the after a year or so, they will go the same way. I would be interested in hearing the experience of other forum members who have bought non-OEM caps to see if they have lasted any longer in good condition.

D
Baptised with Aerosmith
SciroccoCW
Options: 2015MY, Bi-Xenon, 18" Interlagos, Start/Stop, Bluetooth, Sat Nav, Panoramic Roof, Parking Sensors, Heated Seats, Interior LED's, Projector Puddle Lights, Mudflaps, Winter Pack, Rubber Mats, Stainless Steel Pedals, VCDS Tweaks

Post by SciroccoCW »

I'm not sure if my current 3 (minus the missing cap) are the originals from factory so cannot comment on the life span of the product. But they are in good condition.

Hopefully someone with some experience in the OEM and third party caps can help!
Gaz r
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Rising Blue
Options: Vienna leather
Rear parking sensors

Post by Gaz r »

I bought my car in Dec 2013 and the centre caps were as described above. They were replaced by the dealer and as of this moment they look as fresh as the day I picked the car up, not a mark on them!
Delberthot
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Candy White
Options: Cruise Control, Folding Mirrors

Post by Delberthot »

I noticed that one of mine was missing on Friday. I had a look around and found these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HOT-SALE-VW-A ... 2749.l2649

Ordered on Friday afternoon and they arrived over the weekend. They are a perfect fit and I can't see the difference between the 3 originals and these, apart from £7 for these and £11.95 for a single VW one :lol:

Time will tell if they last but if the ones on my Skoda are anything to go by even the genuine ones look terrible after a few years anyway
SciroccoCW

Post by SciroccoCW »

Delberthot wrote:I noticed that one of mine was missing on Friday. I had a look around and found these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HOT-SALE-VW-A ... 2749.l2649

Ordered on Friday afternoon and they arrived over the weekend. They are a perfect fit and I can't see the difference between the 3 originals and these, apart from £7 for these and £11.95 for a single VW one :lol:

Time will tell if they last but if the ones on my Skoda are anything to go by even the genuine ones look terrible after a few years anyway
Sweet I'll give them a try! Thanks mate
C00kie
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Pewter Grey
Options: heated leather seats, DAB radio, rear privacy glass, rear parking sensors
Mods: Revo stage 1, Tarox G88 discs/Strada pads, Eibach Pro Kit springs, BCS sport catback system, K&N air filter, R8 coilpacks, interior LED lights, OEM LED number plate lights, pressed number plates

Post by C00kie »

My opinion: don't waste your time on the cheap replicas as they will deteriorate much quicker. I bought 4 new OEM caps when i got my car 3 years ago and they still look perfect today.
SciroccoCW

Post by SciroccoCW »

Found these with positive reviews, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volkswagen-Al ... m1982#rwid

but I have noticed the non OEM the silver V and W aren't raised like they are on the OEM. I'm so OCD I think I'm gunna pay the £9.85 for x1 OEM cap...
geronimo
In: Pewter Grey

Post by geronimo »

i replaced mine with blue as opposed to black(I'm old school and the vw emblem used to be blue)
to me they look good.
Timbo69
With a: DSG box
Options: 184ps, Sioux Leather, Lisbon Wheels, RNS510, Keyless Entry, Folding Mirrors

Post by Timbo69 »

eBay ones have always gone ‘funny’ after a while with me.

On a similar issue, my car has gone into my local VW dealer (Inchcape) twice for its annual service and each time on collection they have told me one of the hub caps was missing (it wasn’t when it went in). The first time they wanted to charge me £11 so I said no, the second time I kicked off and they replaced it free. Is this a standard scam?