Knocking sound in 2nd gear

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
Tdearling
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box

Knocking sound in 2nd gear

Post by Tdearling »

Hi, for about a month now whenever I am in 2nd gear and either just coasting or accelerating, I can hear a knocking noise that seems to be coming from the front left part of the engine.
It does not happen in any other gear apart from 2nd, as fsr as I am aware. I notice no issue or problem when driving in 3rd or above at any speed.

I am going to be giving the car back to the dealership as my lease deal is up, bur do not want to be hit by a big bill. I have got it booked in Tuesday with a garage round the corner and explained the problem.

Does anyone know what the sound might be?
Deagol
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Deep Black
Options: Parking sensors, Winter pack, Black Leather, Flat Tyre indicator, Mudflaps
Pump & Music from another dimension

Re: Knocking sound in 2nd gear

Post by Deagol »

Anything to report back Td? I've only just spotted this post - I wondered if it might be a joint on the driveshaft.

Your post does not say if this only happens whilst steering is "straight" rather than "going round a corner" but the fact that it happens only in 2nd gear makes it sound like it's a gearbox issue.

Fingers crossed it is not too much to sort out.

D
Baptised with Aerosmith
Tdearling
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Candy White

Re: Knocking sound in 2nd gear

Post by Tdearling »

Hi
Took it to a garage today, they just called back to say that it is within the gear box.

It is irrelevant if I am driving straight or going round a corner, I still get it!

As I am giving the car back to the dealer over the next 2-3weeks, I have been told by the garage technician that when he worked for a dealership, when they got cars back in from a lease deal, they just check over the external for damage, turn on the engine then turn off and send to auction.
I am therefore not going to bother with anything as it does not seem

I did read somewhere that if you pushed the clutch in, got the car to 2500rpm then dropped the clutch quickly it would possibly get rid of the issue, I did try this and it did make some improvement, but soon went back to normal after going into 2nd 2-3times after.

I am not sure how much it would cost for a new gearbox to be fitted so am just going to hand back as is.
It also needs the Start/Stop sorting as that stopped worked about 3months ago.

Just more costs! Lol