Tyre noise or wheel bearing

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
Martyns
I drive a: Haven't decided yet
In: Viper Green
With a: Manual box
Options: None yet

Tyre noise or wheel bearing

Post by Martyns »

Just picked up my first sciRocco , 2.0 gt, 2009, lovely car , but got this noise at anything over 35mph, I've tried free wheeling , makes no difference , so I googled it and it appears they are prone to tyre noise, but I'm not sure if its tyre noise or wheel bearings .. are there any tyres that are worse fir noise ? Think mine has pirellis on it all relatively new
Thanks
Gaz r
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Rising Blue
Options: Vienna leather
Rear parking sensors

Re: Tyre noise or wheel bearing

Post by Gaz r »

You could always get the bearings checked to make sure.
If it is the tyres it is caused by wear, you should find that depending on the quality of the road surface the noise is still present but can be louder or quieter. All tyres have a decibel rating so that could have a slight impact.
When I last replaced my tyres the noise disappeared but as they began to wear it returned. I agree it is annoying but I just turn my music up and forget about it.
It's definitely worse on poor road surfaces, especially noticeable on the surfaces they put at pedestrian crossings.
Welcome to the quirks of Rocco ownership!
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

It will be the rear tyres. Sawtooth wear / Treadstepping is very common on VAG cars based on the platform that the Scirocco uses.
corneg1
In: Salsa Red

Post by corneg1 »

I had the same noise. Just changed my rear tyres and the noise is gone!
dervdave

Post by dervdave »

Tyres for sure, had all wheel bearings changed on my mk6 Golf with no difference.
Andy Rocc
In: Candy White
Options: ...
Factory 19" Black Lugano Pack
Factory Heated Black Leather

Added Extras...

Eibach Pro Kit
Audi TT/S3 Short Shifter
Gloss Black Mirror Covers
Gloss Black VW Emblems

Post by Andy Rocc »

I was experiencing a noise from the front wheels of my car at low speeds, it was driving me mad! I thought it was wheel bearings or cv joints. I was given an idea that it could be the tyres but I disregard that idea as it sound seemed metallic. But one day at work with some spare time I swapped the front and rear wheels around just to rule the idea out. It actually worked and the noise has gone, so it was my tyres after all. Short video below.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Martyns

Post by Martyns »

well ive bitten the bullet and booked it into a garage tomorow for a remap stage 1 and a check on wheel bearings and tyres.... ive looked at the tyres, all pirlli's all good tread, 6mm plus, ill be gutted if i have to remove them... but lets see what tomorrow brings, im sure a smile after the remap, they said circa 260bhp :D
Zanic L3
In: Deep Black
With a: DSG box
Options: Stage 2, Catless DP, Milltek catback.

Post by Zanic L3 »

I'm having the same sound on my left rear tyre (steer is on the left I'm not from uk). Is this something worth checking and necessary to fix or not? I have somewhat the same sound as you Andy Rocc but it's much quieter and gone after driving the car for 5mins. Also the car feels good, no jittery in steering it just feels like it always did
Martyns

Post by Martyns »

mines confirmed as a front offside wheel bearing being swapped out tommorow, cant wait to get her back, remap and no rumbling wheel road noise ! :clap:
dervdave

Post by dervdave »

Martyns wrote:mines confirmed as a front offside wheel bearing
Good result ;)
dervdave

Post by dervdave »

Martyns wrote:mines confirmed as a front offside wheel bearing
Good result ;)
paulwheadon
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box

Post by paulwheadon »

Had the rear wheel droning noise for a few months now. Tried putting up with it, but its got that bad, had to do something about it.
A month ago or so a mechanic friend had a look and confirmed the rear wheel bearings were fine.

So finally, got round to changing the rear tyres and getting the 4 wheels tracked today and still have the noise, no different.
Tyre guys reckon it is a rear wheel bearing and are gonna check them out on Thursday.

Bit peeved as the rear tyres that were on were still in pretty good shape all around apart from the sawtoothing on the inner edge, which I assumed was causing the noise and they had been on for 15,000 miles.

Hopefully, have this sorted come Thursday. :yes: