Dash rattle left side LHD

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
basti87

Dash rattle left side LHD

Post by basti87 »

Hey guys,

I'm desperately looking for the source of a rattle below my dashboard towards the windscreen. I made a video of the rattle: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Heres a list of things that I looked into so far:

- removed plastic covers at wipers
- windscreen itself (put velcro all along the lower border)
- removed wipers
- removed everything from dash that can be removed
- taped every part I could reach behind the dash from below and through the airvent

Its driving me nuts, anyone got any idea what could cause it?

Greetings from Germany :)
Babajang
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Indium Grey
With a: DSG box

Re: Dash rattle left side LHD

Post by Babajang »

What ive noticed about rattles in all cars is often the rattle is coming from a different place that it sounds like it is. I had a dash rattle on my old Scirocco and it was actually coming from the vertical plastic trim that goes from the passenger footwell up to the gear stick area. I wedged some fabric behind it and it instantly stopped... just for a door rattle to start ;D
Nish108GP
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Silver Leaf
With a: Manual box

Post by Nish108GP »

Interesting. I have the same rattle on my Roc. Mine occurs at certain revs. Not on soft throttle.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
blower
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Reflex Silver

Post by blower »

Probably the VIN number plate - known to rattle on mk5/mk6 platforms. Nightmare to get to, have to remove whole dash iirc.
Nish108GP

Post by Nish108GP »

Thanks for the tip bud. I guess this would be something for the dealership to look at? If it is the vin tag?

basti87

Post by basti87 »

Thanks for the tip, I'll look into it once I got the money left over to get the dash removed. Just spent 2.5k on my DSG and a new windshield, the Rocco is turning into a money pit :(
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

Did it rattle before the windscreen was replaced?
basti87

Post by basti87 »

Yeah it did, told them to check for it when the windscreen was removed but it wasn't a VW dealer so they probably didn't even bother...
basti87

Post by basti87 »

Just curious, is there any way to test if it really is the vin plate without removing the dash?
Babajang

Post by Babajang »

Have you checked the little arms on the end of the scuttle aren't sitting ontop of the windscreen? Mine were and when i moved them off 1 rattle stopped. There was another from where the scuttle hit the strut mount... a little bit of valcro solved that.
basti87

Post by basti87 »

I removed the scuttles entirely to no avail :(
Babajang

Post by Babajang »

all engine piping secure in their little clips? ive had that cause horrid rattles in previous cars.

Start wedging fabric in between all the plastic panels as well, it will just rule out it coming from them. The little slot that the seat belt comes out of in the door pillar also can rattle. but that's obvious where its coming from so wont be the cause of yours. Rear view mirror and glasses holder can be culprits as well.
Nish108GP

Post by Nish108GP »

blower wrote:Probably the VIN number plate - known to rattle on mk5/mk6 platforms. Nightmare to get to, have to remove whole dash iirc.
Hi Mate. Thanks for the advice. Turned out it was the vin tag. I took some foam and wedged it between the windscreen and tag using a plastic spatula. Worked 100%

basti87

Post by basti87 »

I don't know how it is over there in GB but over here, covering the VIN plate might get you in trouble with the police :/ But I will try it to see if it is the cause of the problem.

@Babajang: I spent a whole evening with a friend, rocking every part inside the engine bay, nothing produced a rattle even close to the one I got in the dash...
basti87

Post by basti87 »

So when I stuffed foam between VIN plate and windscreen I could see the plate moving, but the foam didnt affect the rattle. I'm actually going crazy by now :D
Nish108GP

Post by Nish108GP »

basti87 wrote:So when I stuffed foam between VIN plate and windscreen I could see the plate moving, but the foam didnt affect the rattle. I'm actually going crazy by now :D
Maybe put more foam? or use some type of putty like butyl seal? I suspect that the fact that the plate is moving means that the foam is not keeping it on place.

Nish108GP

Post by Nish108GP »

basti87 wrote:So when I stuffed foam between VIN plate and windscreen I could see the plate moving, but the foam didnt affect the rattle. I'm actually going crazy by now :D
Maybe put more foam? or use some type of putty like butyl seal? I suspect that the fact that the plate is moving means that the foam is not keeping it on place.

basti87

Post by basti87 »

What kind of foam did you use? I took a kitchen sponge and cut it into strips.
Nish108GP

Post by Nish108GP »

it was some high density foam. i think a kitchen sponge is too soft. i used a piece that is about 50mm x 100mm x 10mm. and just forced it in. will try an take a pic later.

basti87

Post by basti87 »

So, almost half a year later and the rattle is still there, driving me nuts. In the meantime my windscreen was replaced a second time ( :rolleyes: ) and they couldn't find anything either. I also tried padding every reachable part behind the instrument cluster, if anything it got worse... Looks like removing the dash is my last option :( Girlfriend thinks I'm crazy and should just live with it :hyper: Women...