45F2 ABS/ESC safety recall

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
Sam63
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Deep Black
With a: DSG box
Options: Leather seats, Rear Parking Sensors, Electric Folding Mirrors, Dynaudio Soundpack, Mats.
Mods : BCS non -resonated Sports System Cat Back exhaust, H & R Springs and ITG Maxogen CAI, APR Stage 1 & 19" Satin Anthracite BBS CH R's. - Now Sold

Re: 45F2 ABS/ESC safety recall

Post by Sam63 »

C00kie wrote:Received the same letter yesterday, mine is also a 2009 build. If they apply a software update, is it going to interfere with or over-write my map?
I got the letter also, booked it in earlier this week all done and no I t does not affect your map.
So no worries there m8.
TriGGER
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
With a: Manual box
Options: Parking Sensors, Leather Interior

Post by TriGGER »

I just had this done. As they tried to update the software the system apparently "failed". They had to replace the control unit which alone costs around £1200.

I did find it funny when twice on separate occasions I had the ABS and ESC lights flashing at me on my dash. This was during a normal run on a motorway just driving straight 60-70.
Stukos
In: Viper Green

Post by Stukos »

TriGGER wrote:I just had this done. As they tried to update the software the system apparently "failed". They had to replace the control unit which alone costs around £1200.

I did find it funny when twice on separate occasions I had the ABS and ESC lights flashing at me on my dash. This was during a normal run on a motorway just driving straight 60-70.
Did the warning lights flash before or after the update?
TriGGER
Options: Parking Sensors, Leather Interior

Post by TriGGER »

Before on separate occasions.
iroberts696

Post by iroberts696 »

Had recall done also, now waiting for new abs unit, was told 'was lucky to be getting a £600 part for free , on an older car'
Stukos
In: Viper Green

Post by Stukos »

I had mine done this morning, all done with no issues.
iroberts696

Post by iroberts696 »

Had hoped for to update to work for mine also, apparently so did vw see https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2016/R ... 3-6017.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; as it suggests unit failure expected to be rare.
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

Stukos wrote:I had mine done this morning, all done with no issues.
Some take a couple of days before they highlight an issue so don't count your chicken just yet.

Word on the street is that they're having more issues than anticipated and replacement units are becoming thin on the ground.
Jimbo82
Options: Cloth seats. 19s

Post by Jimbo82 »

Hi,

It's my first time posting on here but thought I should share the fun I've had with this today. I was told when I booked it in that this should take about 4 hours but when I got there at 10am I was told they'll need it all day and they'll give me a call around 5ish. I was given a courtesy car so I didn't mind too much, although the car I was given was something called an Up! which couldn't pull the dead skin off a sunburnt shoulder.

I didn't hear from them all day so I made my way back there around 4:30 expecting a call on the way (I live an hour away when the traffics bad) when I got there I was told that it's unmovable and the control unit is down and because its bank holiday weekend they can't get one till next Thursday (today is Friday). Mine was one of the few that has this issue but most don't apparently. The lady I spoke to said mine was the 6th one that they've had since the recall.

After much hustling behind the scenes (they claim) trying to sort me out with a half decent car for the next week I've somehow ended up back in the Up! thing they gave me this morning.

Ive had the car around 6 months and never noticed an issue with the ABS so I'm wondering if I should've bothered taking it in.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

I think you're being harsh on the Up!. The little 3 cylinder engine loves to be revved. I owned one for nearly 3 years as a second car and yes it didn't have much power but was a great little car to drive and great for scooting around town. Great handling too, and I would often choose it over the Rocco for driving in town. :)

They use cheap cars as courtesy cars to.minimise cost, like any business does. More expensive cars means higher costs which customers would have to pay for in one way or another.

The issue that the recall solves only becomes apparent when the ESP kicks in therefore, you wouldn't notice in everyday driving and it's definitely something you want fixed as you don't want the ESP to fail when you need it.
MikeMack
In: Pure White

Post by MikeMack »

It's definitely worth getting it booked in if you received a letter, the problem doesn't become apparent until its too late - either under hard braking or when the ESP kicks in.

I took mine in for it on Friday 25th, they updated the software and the unit failed instantly so it had to be replaced, they gave me a courtesy car and sent me on my way. I got my car back today - 3 weeks later.

Seems there are more faulty units than they let on when there is near enough a 3 week back order on the required part.

1 thing I learned from the experience - never buy a 1ltr petrol polo :faint:
MisterD

Post by MisterD »

Had mine done about 6 weeks ago now. They had my car for about 2 hrs. Said there were no issues and all was fine. Cleaned it inside and out and gave me a little package with an umbrella, keyring and a pen in it.

SciroccoCW
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 122/125
In: Oryx White
Options: 2015MY, Bi-Xenon, 18" Interlagos, Start/Stop, Bluetooth, Sat Nav, Panoramic Roof, Parking Sensors, Heated Seats, Interior LED's, Projector Puddle Lights, Mudflaps, Winter Pack, Rubber Mats, Stainless Steel Pedals, VCDS Tweaks

Post by SciroccoCW »

MisterD wrote:Had mine done about 6 weeks ago now. They had my car for about 2 hrs. Said there were no issues and all was fine. Cleaned it inside and out and gave me a little package with an umbrella, keyring and a pen in it.

Surely you gave some kind of sexual favour to receive such outstanding service from VW :rofl1:
scottwilliams97
In: Candy White
Options: APR Stage 1, Milltek non-resonated catback and decat system, H&R Springs, Full Black leather, Upgraded Dynaudio speakers, Panoramic sunroof, Rear parking sensors.

Post by scottwilliams97 »

SciroccoCW wrote:
MisterD wrote:Had mine done about 6 weeks ago now. They had my car for about 2 hrs. Said there were no issues and all was fine. Cleaned it inside and out and gave me a little package with an umbrella, keyring and a pen in it.

Surely you gave some kind of sexual favour to receive such outstanding service from VW :rofl1:
LOL! Brilliant! :clap: :clap:
MisterD

Post by MisterD »

scottwilliams97 wrote:
SciroccoCW wrote:

Well seeing as it wasn't far from home I brought my own pole and a gorgeous new bikini that i purchased from new look the day before. It seems I really made quite the impression [emoji6]

MisterD

Post by MisterD »

scottwilliams97 wrote:
SciroccoCW wrote:

Well seeing as it wasn't far from home I brought my own pole and a gorgeous new bikini that i purchased from new look the day before. It seems I really made quite the impression [emoji6]

Icedog
I drive a: Scirocco R

Post by Icedog »

C00kie wrote:Received the same letter yesterday, mine is also a 2009 build. If they apply a software update, is it going to interfere with or over-write my map?
I work as a technician @ Volkswagen and it's only a software update for the ABS control unit, engine control unit will remain it's same software.
3wrlcs
I drive a: Haven't decided yet

Post by 3wrlcs »

I'm about to take my early 2009 in for the recall and was wondering if the software update or new module if needed will mean that I will gain XDS? That would be a good outcome for me. Regards, Brendan
a4gee
Options: Winter pack,Parking sensors,Dynaudio,Tyre indicator,Pano roof,GT steering wheel badge,VW Mats, rubber/premium,Headlight and led upgrade interior/exterior,Metal pedals inc foot rest,HK sills,R lights,Cup holder for rear,Concealed ashtray,Auto coming home headlights.

Post by a4gee »

They did my 09 plate last month - was a software update only required :yes:
Inkey$
In: Shadow Blue

Post by Inkey$ »

Thought it worth updating this thread three years on from the last post in case it helps anyone else, as I took my 2008 TSI in today for the ABS recall after doing a search online and finding out mine hadn’t had it done.

VW asked me to be there before 0930 which I was, but then had the car the entire day and at 5pm told me the car wasn’t accepting the software update and they needed to order me a new unit. 12 year old car, and all free of charge. I just have to drive home, ignore the flashing lights on the dash and return back next week sometime.

I’m dreaming I know, but hopefully it’s will sort the intermittent throttle position sensor issue I’m getting at the moment too. That EPC alert came on when I drove there this morning but was cleared when I picked up again.