Will my replacement 160 TSI engine be OK?

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
risingson
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box

Will my replacement 160 TSI engine be OK?

Post by risingson »

Hi everybody

I have to say this site is a real treasure trove of information! Thanks to the tutorial I've now moved my ACC button (and added an extra cig lighter socket to the glovebox under the steering wheel for charging phones etc at campsites - handy!)

I've owned a 1.4TSI Roc since 2009 with the 160ps (CAVD) engine. In early 2013 VW replaced it with a new one when I lost compression in one cylinder (the usual problem with this engine). What I've noticed is that the new one has never misfired enough for the EG light to come on, which the old one did from time to time. It's now also lasted longer than the old one - I thought I was just luckier, but I've been reading this post: http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... 60#p195560

This suggests I may have a better engine than the one they originally put in? My new engine has an exchange sticker with the same code on it as in the post above (although with no date). But the last line of the print on the engine block itself in my case begins 071112... So comparing that with the pic in the post above suggests I have an engine built in November 2012? I've read various dates for when VW started using new KS pistons instead of Mahle - some say 2012, some 2013. Does anyone have a more precise date? (The lack of problems I'm having might suggest I do have the better pistons, but it would be nice to know!)

I've now been checking out some of the other issues highlighted in that post, as I didn't realise that when they swapped the engine they would reuse the injectors, spark plugs etc (new ones weren't itemised on the repair slip). Fortunately, due to the number of attempts VW had at stopping the misfire, I'd already had the following done anyway:
- Recall 24S4 (ECU remap) done in 2011 - this gave me gear change indicators on the dash
- Shortly afterwards I believe I had a injector(s), coil(s) and set of gaskets replaced. (I've lost the paperwork, so I can't be sure if all the injectors were done - would it be normal to do just one?) Injector cleaner was also used at a service in 2011.
- I do know the original coils in the car had a manufacture date of wk 35/09 whereas all my coils now say wk 49/10 (the 'F' revision) which I believe will now be OK - or should I get the 'G' revision to be sure?
- I got a mechanic to take the sparks out in October 2012 so I could see the code. It was 101 905 626, which was what VW were saying should be used at the time. But I think shortly afterwards, VW changed the spec to 03C 905 601 B, which has a smaller plug gap - is that right?
- Due to low mileage my plugs weren't changed until about a year after the new engine was put in, when I can see that 03C 905 601 B has indeed been used. And injector cleaner was used again at that point. So I'm not sure if any lasting damage has been done by using the older type of plug for that first year with the new engine?

Going forward, I have a couple of questions too (sorry for the length here!)
- Is cleaning the injectors at every service a 'must' with this engine?
- Should a particular oil be used (the last service had Shell Helix 0W-30 LO oil, but I seem to have had others in the past!)
- I've tended to alternate between putting 95 RON fuel and Super in it, because I do a lot of city driving and frankly can never really notice the difference! Am I asking for trouble with 95 RON? What I find strange is that the manual doesn't exactly suggest 95 RON is a bad idea...
- Now it's well out of warranty anyway I'm tempted to see what difference a remap would make... I have access to a Bluefin device I could use - would the engine handle that in its current state? Do I take it that putting in Sainsbury/Texaco 97 fuel would be vital with a remap?

Thanks very much in advance to anyone who can offer any help here. I love the car and think a remap (if it's not a completely bad idea) would get me a bit more fun out of it before I finally let it go.