Cruise Control

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
del2035
I drive a: Haven't decided yet

Re: Cruise Control

Post by del2035 »

"why am I reluctant to do this" -
VW technical department in Germany are explicit in saying that cruise control MUST not be retro fitted to this year/model. Doing so, in the event of any electrical problem is likely to invalidate the warranty.
I have tried three dealerships in my area, none of those will fit cruise control to this year/model. (they are glad to fit to other years or models).
Its Ok to say "do it regardless" when its not your 6 months old £30000 car!
I may take a bit of a gamble when VW eventually tell me why they are saying this.
Phil
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Night Blue
With a: DSG box
Options: Recaro Seats, 19" VW Savannah Wheels, KW DDC Coilovers,R8 Coil Packs, Revo High Flow Intake, Milltek 3.00" Turbo-Back & Hi-Flow Sports Cat, GFB DV+, Rtech PCV Delete, Rtech Stage 2,Remap & Linear Throttle, Rtech Custom DSG Remap, PolarFIS Advanced, Forge Twintercooler

Post by Phil »

del2035 wrote:"why am I reluctant to do this" -
VW technical department in Germany are explicit in saying that cruise control MUST not be retro fitted to this year/model. Doing so, in the event of any electrical problem is likely to invalidate the warranty.
I have tried three dealerships in my area, none of those will fit cruise control to this year/model. (they are glad to fit to other years or models).
Its Ok to say "do it regardless" when its not your 6 months old £30000 car!
I may take a bit of a gamble when VW eventuyhally tell me why they are saying this.
Don't do it then :shake:
Phil
xjay1337
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Hybrid VKLR, BSR Ported Head, BSR Valve Springs, BSR CP3, THS IC, Revo /Forge Intake, Oil Cooler, , 3” Eurojet TBE, AKS SS kit, Recaro PP, Schroth 4 point, Rear seat delete, R bumper, CF GT24 Bonnet, VWR Spoiler, OZ 18x9 Et43, DB9 BBK w/ 340mm discs, pMu H16, S3 rear brakes, DNX520VBT, Hertz Audio

Post by xjay1337 »

Phil wrote: Don't do it then :shake:
Almost like it was a pointless thread! :D :rolleyes:
click for build thread
Check out Fat Bear Photography
Phil
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Night Blue
Options: Recaro Seats, 19" VW Savannah Wheels, KW DDC Coilovers,R8 Coil Packs, Revo High Flow Intake, Milltek 3.00" Turbo-Back & Hi-Flow Sports Cat, GFB DV+, Rtech PCV Delete, Rtech Stage 2,Remap & Linear Throttle, Rtech Custom DSG Remap, PolarFIS Advanced, Forge Twintercooler

Post by Phil »

xjay1337 wrote:
Phil wrote: Don't do it then :shake:
Almost like it was a pointless thread! :D :rolleyes:
We just help people work it out for themselves :D
Phil
dimexi
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Deep Black
Options: Parking Sensors

VAGCOM Mods:
DRL/PRL off
Needle sweep
XDS on
Big mph speedo
Alarm beep
Comfort indicator blinks adjusted to 4
Windows close via rain sensor

Other Mods:
Metal Pedals
Self installed VW OEM Bluetooth 7P6(L)
Self installed Cruise Control
RNS510
Stage 1 Bluefin

Post by dimexi »

I retrofitted on my 2010 scirocco myself, and have had warranty work done after that. But I understand your gitters, especially if the car is new.
They read guidance like this straight out of a tech manual, and will probably site the fact that you'll be messing around the airbag if you retrofit.
wensleydale
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140

Post by wensleydale »

I think the reason VW are reluctant to fit it to newer cars is that pre MY2010 it was easy, you only ever needed the one stalk, it could be dropped in and coded up worked every time. Everyone pays the same price, simple.

Post MY2009 things became more awkward:
Some early cars still had the split stalks, most had the combined stalks, there's no way of knowing for certain without doing most of the disassembly - don't know which part to order in, delays the work.
Some slipring controllers stopped supporting cruise - makes the price of the job variable. If you have one that supports cruise then it's cheap as before, if you don't there could be a £200 (dealer prices) extra bill to get it working, this doesn't make for a good customer experience.
There are multiple variations on the combined stalks - leads to the possibility that the wrong stalk is ordered in (cars without the MFSW have controls for the MFD on the right stalk, cars with MFSW don't) and again this leads to delays and a poor customer expierience.

So IMO they say you can't do it because it's too much effort for them to work out what is required to do the job and the risk of backlash from customers when their retrofit costs more than their friends "for the same car".
del2035

Post by del2035 »

For the information of anyone (like me) who is wondering why VW will not approve the fitting of cruise control to 2016 models, this is the answer at last given by their technical department -

"exchanging the hardware is not the only challenge in connection with a cruise control retrofit.
The underlying software has to be checked and approved as well, for which the conditions are not met in this case. Under the circumstances, Volkswagen accessories as supplier did not consider to offer a retrofit kit yet." (exact words)

Why this should should be any different to previous years is beyond me but may make sense to others more technically adept than me.
xjay1337
Options: Hybrid VKLR, BSR Ported Head, BSR Valve Springs, BSR CP3, THS IC, Revo /Forge Intake, Oil Cooler, , 3” Eurojet TBE, AKS SS kit, Recaro PP, Schroth 4 point, Rear seat delete, R bumper, CF GT24 Bonnet, VWR Spoiler, OZ 18x9 Et43, DB9 BBK w/ 340mm discs, pMu H16, S3 rear brakes, DNX520VBT, Hertz Audio

Post by xjay1337 »

That is , as we have said , an ass covering excersize.
click for build thread
Check out Fat Bear Photography
dimexi
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Deep Black
Options: Parking Sensors

VAGCOM Mods:
DRL/PRL off
Needle sweep
XDS on
Big mph speedo
Alarm beep
Comfort indicator blinks adjusted to 4
Windows close via rain sensor

Other Mods:
Metal Pedals
Self installed VW OEM Bluetooth 7P6(L)
Self installed Cruise Control
RNS510
Stage 1 Bluefin

Post by dimexi »

del2035 wrote:For the information of anyone (like me) who is wondering why VW will not approve the fitting of cruise control to 2016 models, this is the answer at last given by their technical department -

"exchanging the hardware is not the only challenge in connection with a cruise control retrofit.
The underlying software has to be checked and approved as well, for which the conditions are not met in this case. Under the circumstances, Volkswagen accessories as supplier did not consider to offer a retrofit kit yet." (exact words)

Why this should should be any different to previous years is beyond me but may make sense to others more technically adept than me.
Yeah, their reasons make sense and are 100% correct technically. It seems customers are the ones who do the research and have more product knowledge sometimes than VW's tech team to take on the task themselves.

Using VCDS - you can find out which slipring controller you have easily. There is a cruise control slip ring compatibility list on Ross-Tech's website too.
FORDDYY
In: Candy White
Options: lots

Post by FORDDYY »

Im getting cruise control retrofitted by my vw dealership for £315 all in, this includes the part, labour and VAT

They were happy to book me in asap for this so dont know why others would say it cant be done.....

Have a 2012 scirocco by the way for anyone wondering
Steffydog
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Salsa Red

Post by Steffydog »

Having my 2013 done next week at Retrofit in Coventry £285 all in.

Will post when done and tested that week [emoji41]
del2035

Post by del2035 »

In response to previous posts, it's only 2016 models onward that the issue exists. After contacting VW in Germany you would think that, if they cared about customer relations, then some effort would be made by them to sort out what appears to be a " cover your backside issue". Sorry but it's no joke when you're playing around with a warranty on a new car.