DSG decision

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
RoccoMx
I drive a: Haven't decided yet

DSG decision

Post by RoccoMx »

Hi all. First of all, thanks in advance! But I'm currently driving a mk5 gti golf which but am wanting to change to something more money saving at the pumps, tax man and insurance. Roccos have always been one my top cars and after owning the golf I would like to stay Volkswagen! My problem is I want a DSG really but only do 8000 miles a year which are short trips and with new laws coming in I don't think the diesel is worth it. With the petrol I have the 1.4 twin or 2.0. My budget is about 9000 and I want to keep mileage as low as possible and this leads me to a pre 2012 1.4 which I've read many many many many horror stories about the weaker piston. Or the 2.0 but then as it nearly shares the same engine as the golf it's a redundant idea. Am I out of luck basically ?
blower
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Reflex Silver
With a: DSG box

Re: DSG decision

Post by blower »

Avoid the 1.4 in DSG format - the 7 speed DQ200 dry dual clutch gearbox chews through clutch packs every 15,000 to 20,000 miles.
It had a new clutch pack in 2012 fitted by the previous owner. I'm on my third clutch pack in my car - supposedly new revised version that I had fitted in April 2015.
After 15,000 miles its now showing signs of juddering in 2nd gear again. It will no doubt go another 15,000 miles but by then it probably will be juddering too often to be tolerable.
Only solution for me is to shell out £1000 and fit a Kevlar clutch from a Greek performance company (TMG Performance)

The 2.0 has the wet clutch and hence doesn't suffer from this issue, it's generally a smoother box anyway.
Last edited by blower on Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RoccoMx
I drive a: Haven't decided yet

Post by RoccoMx »

Wow didn't know this at all! Another bonus for the 2.0!!
Grande

Post by Grande »

blower wrote: After 15,000 miles its now showing signs of juddering in 2nd gear again. It will no doubt go another 15,000 miles but by then it probably will be juddering too often to be tolerable.
Only solution for me is to shell out £1000 and fit a Kevlar clutch from a Greek performance company (TMG Performance)
So the revised clutch pack isn't holding up any better? Any idea how reliable the TMG solution might be?
blower
In: Reflex Silver

Post by blower »

So the revised clutch pack isn't holding up any better? Any idea how reliable the TMG solution might be?
It appears not. The last clutch pack was a late 2012, and that lasted about 15k miles before the juddering in 2nd resurfaced. Now this 2015 clutch pack is going the same way.
Admittedly its very infrequent at present but i know it when i feel it, and i know it will only slowly get worse. The warm summer temperatures usually makes it more frequent.

I'm unsure how reliable the TMG solution is, but some reviews say its very good. Will try contacting some people who have put some serious miles on them as its been out over a year now.
Roy_01
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Sumatra

Post by Roy_01 »

Best option is the dsg 6 dq 250 or dsg 7 dq 500, don't know if the last is fitted in the Scirocco.
herwintan

Post by herwintan »

blower wrote:
It appears not. The last clutch pack was a late 2012, and that lasted about 15k miles before the juddering in 2nd resurfaced. Now this 2015 clutch pack is going the same way.
Admittedly its very infrequent at present but i know it when i feel it, and i know it will only slowly get worse. The warm summer temperatures usually makes it more frequent.

I'm unsure how reliable the TMG solution is, but some reviews say its very good. Will try contacting some people who have put some serious miles on them as its been out over a year now.
Hi blower, sorry to bring up old thread, did you end up getting the TMG clutch for dq200?