How might you hard wire a dash cam?

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
Grasscutter

How might you hard wire a dash cam?

Post by Grasscutter »

I had a quick feel along the headliner this morning, and it seems as if it's quite tight in there - not at all easy to poke a wire into.

Has anyone done this or knows of a reputable company to do this?

Cheers!
Phil
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Night Blue
With a: DSG box
Options: Recaro Seats, 19" VW Savannah Wheels, KW DDC Coilovers,R8 Coil Packs, Revo High Flow Intake, Milltek 3.00" Turbo-Back & Hi-Flow Sports Cat, GFB DV+, Rtech PCV Delete, Rtech Stage 2,Remap & Linear Throttle, Rtech Custom DSG Remap, PolarFIS Advanced, Forge Twintercooler

Re: How might you hard wire a dash cam?

Post by Phil »

Take the console with the lights out, the vanity light and the pillar trim and you'll have no trouble, may be a bit tricky into the pilar but be patient. Thats where i run the the bluetooth mics
Phil
Grasscutter

Post by Grasscutter »

Thinking about a 2 channel one. I've always been rubbish at this kind of thing, usually breaking something along the way.

Can you recommend an installer?
Gazfay
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 122/125
In: Salsa Red
With a: Manual box

Post by Gazfay »

The wire will fit under headliner plenty or room once pushed in then down the side pulled behind rubber and into fuse box
Phil
Options: Recaro Seats, 19" VW Savannah Wheels, KW DDC Coilovers,R8 Coil Packs, Revo High Flow Intake, Milltek 3.00" Turbo-Back & Hi-Flow Sports Cat, GFB DV+, Rtech PCV Delete, Rtech Stage 2,Remap & Linear Throttle, Rtech Custom DSG Remap, PolarFIS Advanced, Forge Twintercooler

Post by Phil »

Never done one myself but can't be too hard - where are you located?
Phil
Phil

Post by Phil »

Took some bits of dimexi's Bluetooth guide which will help you out should you want a go
dimexi wrote: Starting Point, Map light console removal
I started at this point, because I figured it was the easiest bit, and I could work with gravity to make my life easier.
Get one of the trim removal tools and start to take off the map light console panels. I was gentle, and managed to get away without breaking any clips.
Start with the panel that has the Mic grills on; work from the side towards you and go all the way round till it comes off:
After you have taken that off, move to the motion sensor panels and start to pry from the side closest to you again. Work your way towards the “front” of the panel ,where the sensors are located. Do not pry off the back as the panel is on a hinge (apologies for the lack of pics, I took some in retrospect. I hope you get the picture though).

Once you have got off this panel and it’s hanging on its hinges, you will discover two torx screws which you need to remove.
Once these screws are out, gently coax the panel off the headliner. See the pictures below for what to expect.
The picture below shows the console out and hanging on its wires. To the left of the photo .i.e. the position of the mic grill closest to the passenger’s side, there should be a black foam block in the space the VW OEM mic goes. I have already taken mine out, so it’s not in the picture.
Once this is out, install the VW OEM mic in the space, it can only go in one way, so you cant install it wrong. You can just about see mine already placed in that space:
After you have done this, connect up the mic to its wire. No pictures for the next bit, as I did it really quickly.
Before you pass the other end of the mic wire through, go to the driver’s side sun visor vanity light and pry it off. I advise that you pry off the side closest to the door, because it isn’t attached to a wire (next picture will make this clear).
Once that is off, let it dangle.
Return to the Map console light area, and pass the other end of the wire through. You don’t need the coat hangar at this point because there is a lot of room. Just push in the cable and wiggle it round in the direction of the light till it pops out:
Drag the length of the wire through the light area, making sure there is no excess in the map light area. Replace the map console panels and make sure everything fits.
Now, once that is out the way, you need to find a way to get the cable back out through the sun visor area, and down the A Pillar section.
There are a few ways to do this, but this is what I did:
I pried down the rooflining at the A pillar area. You have to peel the door seal back to get proper access; there is some wiring insulation (or something of that sort) in the way – don’t worry about this like I did.
Get your coat hanger, straighten it out, and fit it just above the stuff at the door seal, get it in the roof lining and direct it towards the sun visor area
When you see your hanger poking through the vanity light hole, use the insulation tape to attach the mic cable plug to it. Don’t go crazy with the tape, but make sure it is VERY secure. I used the tape to attached the body of the cable (not the plug) to the coat hanger, so it had less chance of falling off while you pulled it through
Once you get the cable out through the gap in the roof lining, you can then channel it down the A Pillar.
See the roccopedia fiscon installation guide for how to remove the A-Pillar.
OR better still, tuck the wire between the A Pillar and the door seal and channel it down to the fuse box area:
Phil
thecrofter
In: Rising Blue
Options: Tracker, Recaro Seats, Pano Roof, RNS510, Dynaudio, Cruise, Black Gloss Folding Mirrors

Post by thecrofter »

No need to take centre light console out as the wire will tuck under the headlining very easily. The only trim I had to remove was the fuse box cover and the rear hatch inside top cover for the rear cam. Also fitted the Power Magic Pro in the coin cubby where it's easily accessible for switching on/off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2.0 TSi 280 R DSG Rising Blue / April 15 - 11 March 20
2.0 TDi 170 DSG R-Line Indium Grey / June 12 - April 15
2.0 GT TDi 170 DSG Salsa Red / May 10 - June 12
Grasscutter

Post by Grasscutter »

Cheers Phil, that's a great set of pictures, thanks for digging them up & thecrofter for other suggestions.
Phil

Post by Phil »

If you need a hand and are local drop me a PM, i'm in Dartford
Phil
xjay1337
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
Options: Hybrid VKLR, BSR Ported Head, BSR Valve Springs, BSR CP3, THS IC, Revo /Forge Intake, Oil Cooler, , 3” Eurojet TBE, AKS SS kit, Recaro PP, Schroth 4 point, Rear seat delete, R bumper, CF GT24 Bonnet, VWR Spoiler, OZ 18x9 Et43, DB9 BBK w/ 340mm discs, pMu H16, S3 rear brakes, DNX520VBT, Hertz Audio

Post by xjay1337 »

God how complex is that guide?
We fitted a dashcam to mine in about 20 minutes.
Any of the top row of fuses are switched lives.
Removed the pillar trim and along the front of the roof. Tucked wires.
Easy.
click for build thread
Check out Fat Bear Photography
Grasscutter

Post by Grasscutter »

Have ordered a Thinkware F770. Will see how I get on.
dimexi
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Deep Black
Options: Parking Sensors

VAGCOM Mods:
DRL/PRL off
Needle sweep
XDS on
Big mph speedo
Alarm beep
Comfort indicator blinks adjusted to 4
Windows close via rain sensor

Other Mods:
Metal Pedals
Self installed VW OEM Bluetooth 7P6(L)
Self installed Cruise Control
RNS510
Stage 1 Bluefin

Post by dimexi »

Tuck it in the headliner by the windshield, and when you get to the a pillar, you can tuck it under the seal. There is a thread somewhere I outline what to do.
dan999
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Candy White
Options: 210PS
Bi Xenon Headlights

Post by dan999 »

Grasscutter wrote:Have ordered a Thinkware F770. Will see how I get on.
I fitted one to mine yesterday, went reasonably smoothly :)